Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

peter11435

It did highlight the evacuation procedures are inadequate, 3 hous in and they barely made a dent with the lift truck evacuations (and they were doing them one by one until the system started moving again), what saved it is they were able to clear it enough to start the system moving again. I'm curious how many actually did get lift evacuated before they stopped.
To be fair the three hours is not entirely accurate since it took around 90 minutes before they made the decision to evacuate. Although that should certainly be evaluated.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You don’t understand convection vs conduction heat, and airflow. Your lack of knowledge of physics makes your argument baseless, regardless of how smart you think you are.

My electrical engineering studies say otherwise thank you very much.

Shade doesnt get eliminated when the shade was created by the materials to start with.

How many years of study in physics and thermo did you have? I had 3.5 full years.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
it took around 90 minutes before they made the decision to evacuate

If this is true, that sounds like politics to me. Almost as if no one wanted to make that call and had to wait for the decision to get the blessing from higher up. Maybe I am wrong but seems like a long time to wait to make a decision on that. Personal opinion is that the crash was bad, the response was the real disaster.

joelkfla

So does Disney get to investigate themselves?
From the NTSB web site:

The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident in the United States and significant accidents in other modes of transportation – railroad, highway, marine and pipeline
Ski lifts are not on the list, and I don't think this would fit the definition of "significant" with no trauma injuries or fatalities.

States with active ski industries generally have an agency that investigates lift accidents, but I don't know about Florida.

The_Jobu

If this is true, that sounds like politics to me. Almost as if no one wanted to make that call and had to wait for the decision to get the blessing from higher up. Maybe I am wrong but seems like a long time to wait to make a decision on that. Personal opinion is that the crash was bad, the response was the real disaster.

They went as fast as they could. There was a lot of debate about whether or not they could throw together a watch the sweaty skyliner people cupcake viewing party.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No, you are surrounded by reflective coating glass that is rejecting most of the suns energy. Hence the lay use of “shade” to describe it.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but as you know, most ≠ all. My windows have reflective coating tint, probably around the same grade as the Skyliner and while it certainly reduces the heat..there is still heat. We would have to know the grade of the coating to know what percentage of the sun's energy is being rejected vs being absorbed or passed through. From the inside out the view doesn't appear as shaded as one would expect if it was a high-grade tint. It was so light in-fact that I originally questioned if it was coated at all.

joelkfla

I’ve not read this whole thing so sorry if mentioned but from seeing Tim Tracker vlog he said the yellow un-wrapped cars are the ECV suitable ones?
The crash pic clearly Shows those with the blue that has gone into them so would assume it’s some fault on allowing those cars to re join the line safely from the separate loading area?
All cars are ECV capable and they can configure which ones go to the extra loop. They might be using the color coding for that but I am not sure. This happened at Riviera which doesn't have the separate loading area.
No, cabins of all colors, wrapped and unwrapped, are used for WAV. They're identified by a plug on the carrier arm being moved so that it sticks out.

Bob Harlem

There is a post on another board from the folks who were in the cabin that was crushed between two others. Interesting enough to quote:

from "Diz Bee" on another board (search for the first 3 letters in Disney)
"Ok... soooo... this is my wife and I last night...
dercrash.jpeg

Let me start by saying this was our first time on the gondola. We had tacos and a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our inaugural ride at the Caribbean Beach quick service. We got on at the skyliner at the Caribbean and were on our way to EPCOT. When we arrived at the Rivera we came to a stop. The system was down for a while... 5 to 10 minutes. While it was down our doors were open and a cast member was doing a Disney trivia game with each car. Then the system came back on line, our doors shut, and we moved forward... the blue car in front of us was NOT moving, so we crushed up into it and the car behind us crushed into us and the car behind that hit them and so on... you could hear the metal into metal scraping and the breaking of the plexiglass vents. The accident didn’t last long... but I remember sitting there and saying to my wife “I don’t think that was supposed to happen...” Security started going around asking if everyone was OK. A maintenance guy came over with a giant pole type tool, like a overgrown hanger pole they use at clothes stores to get up high. He did some jockeying of the blue car in front and we were freed up. The car swung around pretty hard and the noise was pretty harsh. My wife screamed. We noticed our doors were bent and weren’t shut all he way. There was definitely body damage to our car and several others, including broken vents. We were lucky that we were at the Rivera turnstile because our evacuation was swift! I don’t think we realized the extent of the accident until we saw pictures of our car on the news. So that being said the cars are pretty tough. I think it could of been worse, and we’re very lucky it wasn’t. Cast members were very calm and super nice. They offered us transportation, but we decided to walk back to our car. "

Followed up with

"I would like to add.. that the odds are so low that this would happen. I mean we can’t win the lottery! My wife and I have been talking about it all morning, it’s very bizarre. The weird thing is... is OUR car was the car that was crushed... the first car before the blue car that failed. Yet after they fixed the placements of the cars and we evacuated... no one from Disney approached us and all. Disney management doesn’t know we even exist... it kinda odd. Here we are watching videos from the local news and YouTube and we keep hearing “no one knows if the crushed cars had people inside”. Well we’re fine over here... thanks for asking!!!!
Even though we were in the accident, at least we weren’t stuck in the air! Hope everyone was ok!"

FWIW All the cars in that photo had people in them when it happened, and all got off there.

Last edited:

Freshee61

I liked the gondolas. Rode them opening day and thought I would be scared but I wasn’t. They did come in fast and really close at dock station so the lil collision is no shocker. Disney will work out the issues but Everything mechanical malfunctions.

Dizknee_Phreek

Heard a first hand account last night from a couple staying at Beach Club. They went to concierge to ask about something. While they were there a mom and her two young daughters came up. They had just gotten off the gondolas after being stuck for 3 hours. They had missed dinner and were starving. The Beach Club marketplace had literally just shut its doors, so the CM was basically like "sorry, we're closed", gave them a voucher for a taxi back to their resort (Pop) and sent them on their way. The guest/couple opened up the app and tried to find them open food options on property. I get that unfortunate accidents happen and it's just part of life (inside and outside of Disney). But this seemed like extremely minimal effort on the concierge's part. This doesn't seem like the level of customer service Disney has become known for over the years. Could they not have at the very least let them know room service hours, or even gave them some phone numbers of restaurants outside of property that might still be open? Instead this family just resolved themselves to eating a granola bar and going to bed on the last night of their vacation. It just seems to me that Disney could have put a little more effort into making sure this family's vacation didn't end on a sour note.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I don't see why Disney wouldn't conduct their own investigation.
It was mentioned that Law enforcement was present conducting interviews with cast members. It also seems reasonable Disney would need to self report this to a state agency and that someone from the state who oversees these type systems would probably need to be involved after an accident.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What is it about Disney guests that they demand recompense when the realities of the world conspire to make their trip slightly less magical?

It is simply the “what about me?” Comparisons.

In the information age... people know what happens in a certain situation, then compare their situation to it, and expect a proportionate response.

Disney used to be famous for the level of care it would give its guests in restitution or trying to make a bad situation better. In the information age, those examples are out there... so now when ANYTHING happens... people think “well if they got that, i should get any least X because this is worse than that...” and the escalations continue... and the threshold lowers because people are simply selfish and there is always blame to go around these days....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom