Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

MrMcDuck

It genuinely frustrates me that people whip out the "entitled Disney fans" line at the mere thought that some people might want something meaningful for being stuck on a gondola for three hours with scared kids and potentially panicking/vomiting people.

Note: I deleted my previous reply because it could have been misread to mean I was joining the chorus. No thanks.

WDWBryan

The Epcot line seems too long and complicated. A turn station and pass through turn station. Heck they brought down the hull rope and re-spliced it and proceeded to open the line a week later anyways. I thought for sure the line would be delayed.

All the videos I saw of people riding it I think the line stopped in each one. Have they ever built something like that before?

I thought these are usually in Ski resorts with simple straight up down runs. That's why the pop and studios lines are easier to run.

HoldenC

You’re totally right but I think the criticism for a lot of people isn’t coming from the mode of transportation itself but how Disney World in particular handles it.
It was the first major incident that necessitated evacuation procedures. I think given that, Disney did a fine job. Certainly room for improvement but not worthy of the hate being thrown around. But, what can you except from people who thrive off negativity?

joelkfla

Other than additional future evacuations which give the same rescuers more and more experience to streamline their process and therefore cut down their action times, what else is fundamentally left for WDW to "figure out" about the evacuation process?
A couple of suggestions:
  1. Get more lift trucks (faster ones if available) and train more cast members to use them.
  2. Contract with nearby public safety agencies to assist with rescue, and perform joint training.
  3. Map out fire lanes wherever the lines cross over parking lots, to maintain a clear path for lift trucks to get into the optimal position.

Jimbotron

A couple of suggestions:
  1. Get more lift trucks (faster ones if available) and train more cast members to use them.
  2. Contract with nearby public safety agencies to assist with rescue, and perform joint training.
  3. Map out fire lanes wherever the lines cross over parking lots, to maintain a clear path for lift trucks to get into the optimal position.
I wonder what the plan is for evacuation over water?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I wonder what the plan is for evacuation over water?
images(11).jpg

GordonR

The negativity on here is shocking, millions of dollars have been invested to improve visitor experience and this gets hammered on here.

An incident "off the cable" in a loading station ensured an E-Stop on the system. The emergency systems worked, the ride was made safe. Nobody was harmed.

With this first time something like this as been seen; a decision, rightly or wrongly, was made to get visitors out of the gondolas, rather than wait until the issue at the station could be cleared and motion restarted.

There will be technical, operational and decision making learnings out of this incident that's all

Mouse Trap

My long-winded justification was explaining that you can be technically correct while still not addressing the elephant in the room. You probably need to study that idea a bit more... because clearly you're under their spell.

In what universe is ride vehicles stacked up on top of each other and derailing during normal operations NOT an incident to you?

Literally just saying it’s funny to see people’s spin on Disney’s spin. Again, didn’t say if they are/aren’t lying. But you can assume what you like about my post if it makes you feel better buddy.

Bob Harlem

The negativity on here is shocking, millions of dollars have been invested to improve visitor experience and this gets hammered on here.

An incident "off the cable" in a loading station ensured an E-Stop on the system. The emergency systems worked, the ride was made safe. Nobody was harmed.

With this first time something like this as been seen; a decision, rightly or wrongly, was made to get visitors out of the gondolas, rather than wait until the issue at the station could be cleared and motion restarted.

There will be technical, operational and decision making learnings out of this incident that's all

It did highlight the evacuation procedures are inadequate, 3 hous in and they barely made a dent with the lift truck evacuations (and they were doing them one by one until the system started moving again), what saved it is they were able to clear it enough to start the system moving again. I'm curious how many actually did get lift evacuated before they stopped. At that rate it would have gone on until dawn. (now imagine this happening in the morning and it lasting through the entire day)

drizgirl

By "incident", you mean the 4 car pile up?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It was the first major incident that necessitated evacuation procedures. I think given that, Disney did a fine job. Certainly room for improvement but not worthy of the hate being thrown around. But, what can you except from people who thrive off negativity?
If you don’t like the discussion here, you have a multitude of options....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom