Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

disney4life2008

I had a relative stuck on rip rocket until about 3am a few years ago (this was during HHN so the park was open late). Universal did nothing to compensate them.

Idk i feel like people at Disney will put up a fight over anything. I have been to other parks around the country, something happens, it's fixed and people move on. I think the Disney mindset is sometimes entitled. But, again, in this situation I do not agree with what Disney offered.

Heppenheimer

As someone who has been stuck on several coasters with an evac off of 1 I can say... it's not very traumatic!
As someone who's been also been stuck on plenty of ski lifts, sometimes in quite cold weather, I can also concur. The trauma it has inflicted on my life is minimal.

And even when I was once stuck for about an hour, I neither received nor asked for any kind of compensation. Delays and stoppages are common and expected, although never desired. What is it about Disney guests that they demand recompense when the realities of the world conspire to make their trip slightly less magical?

Magenta Panther

As someone who's been also been stuck on plenty of ski lifts, sometimes in quite cold weather, I can also concur. The trauma it has inflicted on my life is minimal.

And even when I was once stuck for about an hour, I neither received nor asked for any kind of compensation. Delays and stoppages are common and expected, although never desired. What is it about Disney guests that they demand recompense when the realities of the world conspire to make their trip slightly less magical?

Because Disney is so frickin' expensive and guests want to get even? 🤔

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Simple, Disney marketing.

Movielover

And even when I was once stuck for about an hour, I neither received nor expected any kind of compensation. Delays and stoppages are common and expected, although never desired. What is it about Disney guests that they demand recompense when the realities of the world conspire to make their trip slightly less magical?

Ditto on ski lifts as well!

My only guess is that its based on the notion of "I payed money so I should get my way on anything" mentality which is a horrible way to output yourself.

That or they're just idiots!

itsy bitsy spider

I'm still alright with the Gondolas. Everything new has it's hiccups at the beginning.

John Hammond - All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956 (actually it was 1955), nothing worked, nothing.

Ian Malcolm - But, John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

joelkfla

The cabin being discussed had 7 adults and 2 children. I don't think there is adequate water for that many people. That number of people creates a heat and stuffiness too. I thought people were wrong to worry so much about a.c in the cabins but now i see the point. Thsi could really be dangerous. I hope Disney has a plan b. They shouldn't scrap the whole thing, but rather work on adequate cooling and more efficient evacuation. Things will go wrong and the cabins will stop but no one should get sick or even( God forbid) die bc of it. 3 hours in the fl heat without air can kill you. Not being an alarmist, I live here. Just stating a fact. I'm sure some will think I'm wrong. I wish I was. I hope I am.
A/C would make little difference, because the batteries would be exhausted within 30 minutes after the cabins leaving the station.

phillip9698

I didn’t say they would never be incidents possible with those but they sure as hell are a lot easier to evac and take care of the guests that use them

When a bus has an issue it's a lot easier to evac and take care of those passengers than when a plane has an issue. Are we advocating against air travel?

There are tradeoffs with everything.

NearTheEars

Just out of curiosity but with so many people posting here, not one person was actually on the skyliner when it happened?
Had just gotten off, walked into Epcot to swipe our bands (to click off another visit toward the AP coasters) got back in line and were nearing the front when it all stopped. We waited about another 20 minutes before they announced closed for the night.

So close to being stuck. I would have been fine. But my wife has a tiny blatter so that would have been an interesting experience.

Kane88

Yeah, the over reactions in this forum are something else. This type of transportation is proven successful in many cities around the world. Operating probably more than WDWs or about the same hour every day.
You’re totally right but I think the criticism for a lot of people isn’t coming from the mode of transportation itself but how Disney World in particular handles it.

joelkfla

Yep, I’ll take a potty break before I get on in one of the convenient nearby restrooms, and I’ll bring a bottle of water & be sure my cell phone is fully charged.
What I’m curious about is how long did it take to get the teal/blue problem gondola off the line and onto the side rail - it seems once they got it out of the way it should have been fairly quick to slowly roll the rest of the cabins through to evacuate. Why did it take 3 hours and a couple of very slow bucket truck evacuations before they finished the evac by restarting the system. I’m wondering if some questionable decision making happened. Get teal/blue cabin moved in under half an hour, then another half an hour to unload everyone, not so bad. Dawdling around, deciding what to do, calling a full on evac w/ fire trucks etc. leading to dramatic photos of same and possibly tripling the time people were stuck is a very bad look and I’m wondering if different decisions could have been made.
There's a video out there of recovery activities in the Riviera station. This is strictly my interpretation, but it looks like they are trying to push 106 onto the spur, but they're being blocked by all the the yellow cabins piled up in the station.

There's nothing much to see after the first few seconds, until the video switches to a view of evacuation efforts. Again, just my interpretation, but it looks the rescue crew is having trouble reaching a cabin over the BW parking lot.

Orangeanna

I know some posters think it's an exaggeration to say people could get sick in the heat of day trapped for an hour or more but riders last night reported it being very warm and stuffy. Riders in the day, including those who write reviews for sites, have said that when pauses for more than a few minutes it gets hot. Reason and common sense tells you that hotter weather ( july) and longer stoppages would be much worse. I know the windows are tinted, so are my car windows, it doesn't change the fact that it's hot. I will still ride, maybe not in the heat of day. Also glad I always carry a bag with water, snacks etc. Could Disney install some kind of fans? Solar powered would work and not just during the day, power can be stored for night. Fans might enough to keep the air moving. Cheap and easy. Some people are more susceptible to heat than others, babies, elderly etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom