Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Rider

I wonder what lost power? All the pictures of the stations show they have power. And the other lines were still running.

@Lift Blog , if there was a temporary loss of power, what could go wrong?

The lines are powered from the Caribbean Beach station and the motors are likely separate from the lights at Riviera. Even a small power bump at the wrong time could cause the line to E-Stop. If the cabin was at the exact wrong place it could have "dispatched" but lacked the speed to attach to the stopped cable. Then without anti-rollback devices (since this was able to happen I assume that they don't have any) the cabin rolled back and hit the one behind it.

DisAl

Stuff happens.
A few months back some friends of ours had to be evacuated off the monorail at one of the motel stops due to some issue with the monorail. They were put on a bus to take them on to MK. Then their bus was rear-ended by another Disney bus. Total delay ended up being over two hours.
As long as nobody was injured this is just another one of those minor inconveniences that happen in life. Ever been stuck on the interstate for a couple of hours due to a wreck ahead of you?

KYmickey

Disney being Disney, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the evac procedures are a lot more convoluted than just 'bucket up and climb in'. I'm looking at those lifts and I bet procedure is to have everyone in some sort of fall protection. I can see burning lots of time getting people that have never worn a harness in harnesses and clipped in for the ride down.
You are correct, a fall protection harness is required for everybody operating in an elevated platform by every fire service. The time for the rescue crews to put them on was included in my five-minute time schedule. They are quite easy to put on and the cruise could put one on a passenger in less than a minute even under extreme circumstances. He stepped thru 2 loops, pull straps over your shoulders, cross them in the front and connect them to the loops around her legs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Funny, I was just saying to my family on the gondola this afternoon that WDW would rue the day they didn't make Riviera a hub (the endpoints of two lines).

That would mean they could have had pull-outs for ECVs for Riviera/CBR guests without slowing or stopping the line.

It would also mean that there'd be a shorter line to evacuate rather than one giant one if something went wrong.

Dan Deesnee

The negativity on this forum never ceases to amaze. Anyone laughing about this should show a little respect for the hell these people stuck in those things went through today.

But no let's all just spout the same tired jokes about how cheap Disney is, how expected this problem was, and how much we hate Disney (why are you here...?)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then without anti-rollback devices (since this was able to happen I assume that they don't have any) the cabin rolled back and hit the one behind it.

That's what I was just about to write about.

This cabin failed to dispatch to clamp to the main cable for some reason. If those rollers don't have brakes/rollback blocks... a powered off electric motor has little resistance to stop a few hundred pound gondola. Mechanical rollback blocks would be quite noisey and undesirable for that reason. So you'd have to look to failsafe brake systems I suppose.

It would be a pretty serious design flaw if they were susceptible to this corner case of losing power (or a motor) during this transition resulting loss of control over a cabin.

Disney could compensate temporarily by increasing the spacing between the cabins... but at a huge impact to capacity.

There could be some half-truths in the power situation... a failure at the transition zone due to power.. or a power glitch at just the right time... or a power failure outright. But in that last case, if a power failure causes a rollback without proper separation... that's a huge engineering oversight. Given DM's history.. I have to think that scenario has been considered.

natatomic

You are correct, a fall protection harness is required for everybody operating in an elevated platform by every fire service. The time for the rescue crews to put them on was included in my five-minute time schedule. They are quite easy to put on and the cruise could put one on a passenger in less than a minute even under extreme circumstances. He stepped thru 2 loops, pull straps over your shoulders, cross them in the front and connect them to the loops around her legs.

Just curious, what about infants?

ItlngrlBella

Now that would win post of the decade in the "Best Disney Memes" thread!

Thanks.

“They should have built a monorail” was my first reaction after the announcement they were building the sky-liner.

It’s a total “I told you so.”

Cesar R M

Yes it looks like the blue cabin leaving the station somehow didn't leave and was hit from behind.

Edit: The Orlando Sentinel is also reporting it was a power failure, not a collision that caused the stop.

Anyone knows what has been the reason Disney has been having so many power failures?

Cesar R M

I love how no matter what the situation - so many people conclude with “Disney is lying”. Ahh humanity.
Many companies have to resort to pixie dust, reduce impact, minimize damage/effects and even outright lie to keep their reputation high after an accident.
Not the first not the last company that do that.
But yes, the majority of times it backfires.

We're just lucky the Skyliner isn't Chernobyl...

Not great, not terrible.
- Comrade Dyatlov.

Last edited:

SLUSHIE

At the gondola I operated, the only similar incident I recall is that on one of the cabins, the door mechanism lever got jammed preventing the cabin from moving forwards. I was on the other side and pressed an e-stop because I could hear the screeching tires. The cabins didn't get jammed up because we stopped it before that happened. Mechanics came and removed the lever from the carrier and then later pulled the cabin out of service.

I cant tell exactly where the cabin is but it's just what first comes to mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom