Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects.

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects--Star Wars: First Assault andStar Wars 1313--were cancelled.

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney last fall. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. Today, it's official: the longrunning studio is no more.

NowInc

Totally not surprised. Lucasarts is my all time favorite game studio..but that is based off their 90s library of games. They focused WAY too much on sub-par star wars games the last decade + and they are just no longer a money maker. Its sad..but im not going to say i didnt see this coming a mile away

Jimmy Thick

Not really a big deal. Lucasarts games has gone down hill in quality since 2000. Back in the day when Lucasarts was making trend setting adventure games, this would be a big deal. Now, not so much. Just because they closed down does not mean Star Wars games will stop coming out, they will just license.

Jimmy Thick- Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle...Don't make games like that no more...

SirLink

Somewhere, lost on Monkey Island, Guybrush Threepwood just screamed out and cursed the name Bob Iger.

Sensible CEO would of merged LucasArts with Disney interactive not kill off studios that lay underneath the publisher arm.... but Disney think that social games will still be around in 10 years time ... they will get screwed ... the bubble is about to pop on that ... oh well Disney loves the short con ... hates the long con ...

Ignohippo

I was looking forward to 1313. More than anything, it's probably a casualty of LucasFilm's new direction for those characters (Boba in 1313's case). I imagine the 1313 storyline is no longer consistent with what LucasFilm has in mind for Boba's storyline.

On the other hand, when was the last time Disney hit a home run with a video game? I enjoyed Disney Universe and disney Kinect Rush immensely, but both were woefully short on content. I don't expect Infinity to be any better – great ideas but low on actual content.

Before Disney shutters other game studios, perhaps they should get their own house in order first.

Ignohippo

Sensible CEO would of merged LucasArts with Disney interactive not kill off studios that lay underneath the publisher arm.... but Disney think that social games will still be around in 10 years time ... they will get screwed ... the bubble is about to pop on that ... oh well Disney loves the short con ... hates the long con ...

This is SO true.

wdwfan4ver

I am not shocked about Disney shuts down LucasArts.

I remembered Lucasarts when they were Lucasfilm Ltd. I loved Ballblazer for the Atari 7800, but the company really doesn't mean a lot to me in the game department in the 2000's. Ballblazer was one of Lucasfilm Ltd./LucasAtarts early games and was a great game for its time.

Lucasfilms Ltd./Lucasarts was a great company in the 1980's and 1990's, but its time has passed for a while.

Jimmy Thick

Why?

Why would Disney want to put out huge development dollars to produce video games, an average game development goes around 50 million, when they can license the characters to developers who have to foot the bill themselves? Disney and Lucasarts have made garbage the past 13 years when it comes to games. This is a smart move just based on that fact.

Jimmy Thick- hate to admit it though...

Todd L

I know it says they are focusing on the Star wars movies But Im holding out hope that maybe they will at some point develop Star Wars games under 3rd party deals. Im sure some of the bigger companys will pay top dollar to buy the rights and put out the games...hopefully someone will pick up 1313 and make a go of it.

janoimagine

Why?

Why would Disney want to put out huge development dollars to produce video games, an average game development goes around 50 million, when they can license the characters to developers who have to foot the bill themselves? Disney and Lucasarts have made garbage the past 13 years when it comes to games. This is a smart move just based on that fact.

Jimmy Thick- hate to admit it though...

50 million is being modest. I think I read that Halo 4 clocked in at just over 100 mil. Destiny is already over the 100 million mark and it is still 6 to 9 months away depending on who you talk too. I never like to hear about people on the unemployment line, but it was the right move on Disney's part.

Jimmy Thick

50 million is being modest. I think I read that Halo 4 clocked in at just over 100 mil. Destiny is already over the 100 million mark and it is still 6 to 9 months away depending on who you talk too. I never like to hear about people on the unemployment line, but it was the right move on Disney's part.

Halo is a premium title, 100 mil might be modest. The new GTA could be twice that. But an average title, and lets face it, most Disney made games and for the most part the past Lucas games were average, is around 50 mil. Thats a lot of money, and to make that back you need a million seller, which is becoming rare in the video game world sadly, just to break even.

Its a good move from a business stand point.

Jimmy Thick- Unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom