• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Should NOT allow kids on shoulders during fireworks

Lands of Wonder

You must have grown up to be a real POS. An entitled LOSER. The cause of all our worlds problems. You entitled little.....:cautious:

I'm pretty sure that's what the quasiadults in this thread have said.
Well it was only once and our view was already obstructed by the boat dock roof anyway, plus we were standing behind the crowds

SugarMagnolia75

No, you're wrong about what they believe. They know that there are adults AND kids behind them, they just don't care, because ya know, it's not their spouse or kid.

Someone said something earlier about a "straw man argument of all or none" lol. Basically translates to- 'screw you, I'm paying for this vacation. That entitles my precious angel to have the best view no matter how many people, including children, have a worse view.. I mean, you can't expect me to hold my precious angel on my hip! Yes, I know precious would still have a good view-But I can't be bothered with that, shoulders are easier.'

This thread is the perfect example of why I do dessert parties and dining packages.lol

I hate the upcharges and even I am seriously considering a dessert party now. I'm barely 5' tall and my kids are about as tall as I now. They were frustrated about not being able to see the last time we tried watching Wishes in front of the castle. With HEA involving even more projections, I'm worried it will be worse.

I do have to wonder, is it a coincidence that the same people who have expressed that their kid is more important than anyone else's kid or any other adult there, are the same people who constantly complain about a bad experience at Disney... kind of makes sense now.

I'm not sure those groups are actually the same in this case.

Also don't understand all the people trying to record the fireworks on their phone or iPad. If I ever want to watch it from home, I know that there is much better video on YouTube.

Looks like we've found something new to complain about this week. How is a 3-4ft child supposed to see the fireworks (which by the way.. they are the main target audience for such shows). Unreal lol

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Looks like we've found something new to complain about this week. How is a 3-4ft child supposed to see the fireworks (which by the way.. they are the main target audience for such shows). Unreal lol

They don't have a right to see them, they can just come back when they're older.

dryerlintfan

Premium Member

LOL that's just silly. A large percentage of children are terrified of fireworks. The castle shows with characters Target children. The fireworks are for everyone.

SugarMagnolia75

You could pick up your child and hold them against your hip. That way they would the same height as the adults.

Or put your child on your shoulders as soon as you get to your spot. Because I am short, I try to pick a spot early if we're watching from Main Street. If I know the person in front of me is going to have their child on their shoulders, I'll pick another spot. Most of the time though, people don't put their kids up there until after the show has started. By then, it's very hard to move.

brideck

When my niece was young (who I'm raising) I held her in my arms with her arm around my shoulders/neck and her caboose resting on my forearm specifically to not block anyone's view and it worked fine.

1000 times this. I did this for my nephew (6 yo) and godson (5 yo) on recent trips to the Magic Kingdom. The nighttime shows are generally < 15 mins, so it's not exactly a feat of Herculean strength. Plus, you get the added bonus of being able to engage directly with the kid while the show is going on.

Also don't understand all the people trying to record the fireworks on their phone or iPad. If I ever want to watch it from home, I know that there is much better video on YouTube.

I will never understand present-day video culture. So few people seem satisfied to just be somewhere in the moment and enjoy what's happening in front of them. Disney World, rock shows... screens everywhere. It's like we don't trust our memories anymore.

TaoBoxer

I have put my kids on my shoulders many times for parades. Of course, when I do it, I move to the back of the crowd so there is no one behind me. That way, my kids can see over the crowd and I'm not blocking anyone's view.
Agreed! Over the years I did the same as you. Luckily, for my back, the kids are now way too old for that!

21stamps

I hate the upcharges and even I am seriously considering a dessert party now. I'm barely 5' tall and my kids are about as tall as I now. They were frustrated about not being able to see the last time we tried watching Wishes in front of the castle. With HEA involving even more projections, I'm worried it will be worse.

I'm not sure those groups are actually the same in this case.

I haven't done a Magic Kingdom fireworks desert party...but am debating it this year because of the projections.
I'm not a camp out and save a spot type of person.. so my kid hasn't had a great view of Wishes because of the time we arrive before the show starts.lol. Like I said earlier, I put him on my hip, heavy and uncomfortable- yes.. but they can see, and so can everyone else behind us.. he's too big to hold this year, still undecided on the dessert party.

I am guilty of making recordings on my phone.. we do look back at them after the vacation is over. I don't hold my phone high, or out to the side, just right in front of me and then turn it on us to see his reactions. Not an entire show, more like a 1 minute or less video.

The premise of this debate doesn't make sense lol. I said it a few days ago.. for the few kids that are on shoulders, there is several children behind them who can not see as a result. So this really isn't a kids vs adults scenario.. more like-
rude vs common courtesy.

You could pick up your child and hold them against your hip. That way they would the same height as the adults.

Or put your child on your shoulders as soon as you get to your spot. Because I am short, I try to pick a spot early if we're watching from Main Street. If I know the person in front of me is going to have their child on their shoulders, I'll pick another spot. Most of the time though, people don't put their kids up there until after the show has started. By then, it's very hard to move.

I think I've asked, 3 times now, why the shoulders dads don't just do the hip thing.lol

1000 times this. I did this for my nephew (6 yo) and godson (5 yo) on recent trips to the Magic Kingdom. The nighttime shows are generally < 15 mins, so it's not exactly a feat of Herculean strength. Plus, you get the added bonus of being able to engage directly with the kid while the show is going on.

I will never understand present-day video culture. So few people seem satisfied to just be somewhere in the moment and enjoy what's happening in front of them. Disney World, rock shows... screens everywhere. It's like we don't trust our memories anymore.

I think it's more than trusting your memories, it's a photo/short vid to capture a moment in time that will never happen again. Some day memories will be all someone has of a loved one, and it's nice to physically have something to look at.

contrariwise

I think I've asked, 3 times now, why the shoulders dads don't just do the hip thing.lol.

Not sure, but 2 theories:

(1) It's less taxing than holding someone with your arms (never done it so I don't know if that's true, but seems likely); or
(2) They don't just want their kid to SEE the fireworks; they want them to have the best view in the place.

So, laziness or greed. Take your pick. ;)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

(1) It's less taxing than holding someone with your arms (never done it so I don't know if that's true, but seems likely); or
(2) They don't just want their kid to SEE the fireworks; they want them to have the best view in the place.

Maybe just banning kids from the parks is the right solution here. It's not like there's anything from their generation in any of the parks anyway.

:hilarious::joyfull:

21stamps

My bet is on #1. It is definitely easier than holding a kid.

Goofyernmost

My bet is on #1. It is definitely easier than holding a kid.
Of course it is and my guess is that most of the complaints are coming from people that no longer have kids that age or never did. They don't understand anymore or never will. It is going to continue to happen until they make the viewing area go progressively higher from front to back, like a stadium. So, like I said, grown ups... stop whining and just find a different spot to see the show from. Front row center would probably be the best spot. OK, you will have to stand in one spot for upwards of 3 hours, but, hey, seeing that thing, unobstructed is very important to you, so bite the bullet and walk the walk.

Tick Tock

Wait, I constantly complain about Disney World? I thought I was usually called a Pixie Duster..

I'm really confused now.lol
From what I've noticed just from observation, I think it goes something like:

Someone who has a positive opinion on anything: Pixie Duster
Someone who has a negative opinion on anything: Doom & Gloomer
Someone who has any opinion (positive or negative) as a new member: Troll

21stamps

Of course it is and my guess is that most of the complaints are coming from people that no longer have kids that age or never did. They don't understand anymore or never will. It is going to continue to happen until they make the viewing area go progressively higher from front to back, like a stadium. So, like I said, grown ups... stop whining and just find a different spot to see the show from. Front row center would probably be the best spot. OK, you will have to stand in one spot for upwards of 3 hours, but, hey, seeing that thing, unobstructed is very important to you, so bite the bullet and walk the walk.

I have no idea why people keep trying to make this an "adult vs kids" argument. It isn't.
I posted a photo of JBJB...2 kids on shoulders.. one pretty much front and center.. the other- centered, with hundreds of people behind them, and each of those families probably camped out for at least an hour to get those spots. How many kids, behind the 2 kids on shoulders, do you think could see as a result? Especially during projections?

Kids vs Adults is a false debate here.
People should have some common courtesy.. not put your kids on your shoulders if you're in the center of a crowd-- just hold them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom