Disney selling "chocolate animal poop"?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you want a unique and appropriate (but not for everyone) treat how about this (Carduillos in Harvard Square used to sell them)

Some cultures in both Asia and Africa do indeed include this in their diet so this is thematically appropriate and is NOT bathroom humor.

Scorpion Pops as Chocolate Covered Ants are for wussies.
scorpion-lollip_569_569_1.jpg
But then some innocent child will start eating the scorpions in their backyard expecting them to taste like candy. Lawsuits will ensue. Oh what a mess we have started.

nepalostparks

Like someone mentioned above, there's not likely to be some press release or official statement on the removal of the "poop brownies" from Disney.

I was at Animal Kingdom yesterday and spoke with a supervisor at Zuri's Sweets. She explained to me (and another guest who was also there asking for the brownies) that it was only a test, but they could return based on guest demand. She suggested we both stop at Guest Relations at the front of the park if we would like to see them return.

CDavid

I was at Animal Kingdom yesterday and spoke with a supervisor at Zuri's Sweets. She explained to me (and another guest who was also there asking for the brownies) that it was only a test, but they could return based on guest demand.

The cynic in me wonders if it was really only a test, or if that's just the explanation to explain away the quick removal?

nepalostparks

The cynic in me wonders if it was really only a test, or if that's just the explanation to explain away the quick removal?

I doubt we'll ever know for sure. I was happy I got some sort of "official" answer to share. I am sure the rumored reasons of guest complaints will continue to be the story, though.

Dwarful

There is no way I am giving Disney credit with trying to educate anyone by selling this animal poop themed treat. Does it appeal to me? Not at all. Do I see people 'getting worked up about it' Nope. I see people expressing an opinion....some are expressing excitement others disappointment. Personally, I don't care where I am ....Disney, Six Flags, a national park or a church bake sale....I'm not buying anything with a poop theme to consume....it just doesn't sound good to me. Doesn't make me right or wrong...just means Disney won't be getting my $$$ on this treat.

RedFurredCadet

Sorry, I just arrived after the xxxx was thrown around.
I wonder if they'll make a new stall at the Food & Wine Festival for these?
Wonders of Life would have stopped to that of a low level to remain alive. Buzzy will NOT have wanted this. XC
Disney is not the first to do this. I've seen "moose poops," "moose droppings," "bear scat," and all sorts of similar things.
Two words: Canada pavilion.
Truth or dare, anyone?
*Insert don't eat the yellow snow joke here*
I was going to say yeah, educational in that I wonder if kids might try to pick up a dookie and eat it, but AEfx already covered that...
Cringety cringe if Wonders capitalises on it. Nope!
Two people- One person thinks eating poop is a funny idea, another thinks the very thought of eating something related to poop is gross...

Yup you sure were right there, what a horrible person I was for being grossed out about the thought of eating poop.
And yet we neglect the idea that as disgusting as it sounds (the object, duh), it's a part of life. We trivialise it, we cringe, and we even joke around it. Of course, edibles paying tribute to what animals leave behind is probably raising eyebrows, much like you explained.
Mmmmmm..... Fecal themed chocolate treats.

Next up...... Entrail themed spaghetti bolognese.
Me? I'd rather stick to organ shaped pancakes.
Some cultures actually do eat bugs as a normal thing (and worms). So while the thought wouldn't appeal to me personally, it's not exactly the same as eating disgusting bacteria ridden animal feces. The prospect of eating a worm is infinitely more appealing to me than downing elephant dookie.

I don't know of any cultures where eating poop is normal, most rational humans consider it disgusting and wouldn't even consider it (it even seems built into our instincts that it's a gross thing to do given the disease potential).

Well said. Considering the bio diverse bacterial colonies, especially E Coli, being synonymous with that and food poisoning.

I'm looking for the part of that plaque where it discusses how funny it would be to drink that pee, can't quite find it...

And thank goodness there's no plaque!
The irony is that eating the "Guess the Animal" desserts actually opens up an easy window for a parent to talk to their children about not eating poop. If anything, it would be less likely for a child to eat real feces if their parent says "this is fake and just for fun; eating real poop is dangerous and can make you sick".
Right again. But this isn't about style over substance, however...

Also, in a park that emphasizes nature and conservation and such, I think it's great to actually y'know talk about natural things like excrement. I think this is actually the opposite of simple crass humor -- it's taking something that people tend to ignore or feel squeamish about and treating it with some modicum of respect. One of the articles I read talked about how the food people worked with zoologists to get the right look and texture.

Maybe people need to go get a copy of "Everyone Poops". Defecation is a normal bodily function, we shouldn't be ashamed of it.

...this above actually sums it up. Well said, Nick.

There are more, but that's all my five cents I have each post.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

I hate that this is gone. It's one of those silly but unique novelties that you could share with family or friends. Kids would definitely get a kick out of it, similar to how they eat worms in dirt which is just chocolate pudding with gummy worms in it.

AEfx

As long as you remove the stinger it's just a high protein snack.

LOL I actually have a friend who is one of the premiere experts in the US regarding edible bugs (appears on TV shows about it, etc.) - now THAT would be a neat, creative, and nutritionally sound* way to make some candy.

I think it's absurdly disgusting, but I wouldn't have objected to that whatsoever - not liking something or just "thinking it's gross" is not the basis of what I think you see the objections to this, it's about the other definition of "taste".

(*Fun fact, many bugs are in fact very nutritional, and there are enough of them that we could pretty much solve world hunger with them if only it was not for...ew, gross, LOL.)

lady belle

I have been reading these forums for over a year and this is what gets me to join and post.
I think it's a shame something so unique for Disney could have been taken away because of possible complaints.

I thought the poop treats were cute for Animal Kingdom, and would have tried them if they were offered last year!

In this setting, I would not have found it trashy or upsetting and I am -for lack of a better word- prudish. I don't like most modern day comedies and find them crude, but this I thought was cute.

Dwarful

So did people complain directly to Disney and that is why they stopped serving them? I don't know that I would bother wasting my time at Disney to go to guest services to complain about this...I would just not spend my money on that particular product.

AEfx

So did people complain directly to Disney and that is why they stopped serving them? I don't know that I would bother wasting my time at Disney to go to guest services to complain about this...I would just not spend my money on that particular product.

I doubt that was what it was. I'm pretty sure that once the media started picking up the "Disney is selling poo candy" stories, someone high enough up (who has decent taste) saw it and said, "Are you kidding me?" and put a stop to it. It likely was approved by a lower-mid-level AK manager and once it floated up to the attention past there, it was stopped because Disney didn't want publicity about folks eating replicated feces in their parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom