Disney Sees Green in Going Green

Computer Magic

Original Poster
Disney Sees Green in Going Green

By Rick Aristotle Munarriz
April 18, 2007

Head out to Disney World, and you will see more green than the Fantasyland churro cart operator collecting greenbacks, hand over mouse-gloved fist. Head out to Disney's (NYSE: DIS) EPCOT and you'll see the solar panels. Animal Kingdom screams so much green that it actually opened on Earth Day nine years ago.

Disney isn't perfect. When your chain of theme parks serves four times as many guests worldwide every year than your nearest rivals -- Six Flags (NYSE: SIX) and Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN) -- you're going to deal with factors like patron consumption and attraction emissions.

Being that big will also make you a target for things that can be done better. The Center for Health, Environment and Justice is urging Disney to migrate to green cleaners at its Florida resort, the way it already is at six of its hotels that have been certified by the Florida Green Lodging Certification Program.
Disney hasn't backed down from the challenge.

"Because our organization has held a unique position of public confidence and trust for more than fifty years, we are keenly aware of our ability to influence public opinion and inspire action," acknowledges Disney's environmental policy.

That policy includes several park-level initiatives. From waste minimization to water and energy conservation, Disney certainly knows how to talk green. Other aspects of its environmental policy include:
  • Studying the environmental impact of its operations, developing proactive guidelines.
  • Promoting wildlife and habitat conservation.
  • Educating its employees on the policy itself.
  • Integrating environmental theming into its attractions when appropriate.
  • Advocating cost-effective technologies that improve environmental conditions.
Embracing its role as a social trendsetter, Disney has led the way in banning trans fats and limiting in-park smoking. Now that going green is the social flavor of the month, expect Disney to back up its eco-friendly words with eco-friendly actions in the coming years.

Shrek isn't one of Disney's countless beloved animated characters. He's the superstar handiwork of DreamWorks Animation (NYSE: DWA). However, if Disney has its way, it too can be big and green like Shrek.

Kristi Kay

Disney has been working on being green for a while and I think it's fantastic. Disney is so high profile that they should be a leader in going green.

I've heard that the benches at AK are made of recycled milk jugs....I don't know how factual that is, but thats waht i heard....

Captain Hank

There are quite a few environmental programs done at WDW; some that guests see and many that they don't. For example, there was a big push backstage last year to reduce resort-wide energy use by 5% (doesn't sound like much, but think of how much energy WDW uses!). As of 12/31/06, it was down 4.9%. As a result, WDW won the 2007 Florida energy achievement award.

Kristi Kay

5%, thats fantastic! That would be A LOT, for Disney....

Does anyone else know what green stuff Disney does....I know Animal Kingdom does quite a bit of stuff, but I cannot seem to find a list anywhere....

ImaYoyo

5%, thats fantastic! That would be A LOT, for Disney....

Does anyone else know what green stuff Disney does....I know Animal Kingdom does quite a bit of stuff, but I cannot seem to find a list anywhere....
Lets see... all the lights in my building are being replaced with LED lights, we have sensors that can tell when no one is in the room and turn them off, we recycle EVERYTHING, we purchase 'green' products (recycled paper products for the most part) and we volunteer at beach clean-ups quarterly.

Kristi Kay

Lets see... all the lights in my building are being replaced with LED lights, we have sensors that can tell when no one is in the room and turn them off, we recycle EVERYTHING, we purchase 'green' products (recycled paper products for the most part) and we volunteer at beach clean-ups quarterly.

what do you at WDW?

Captain Hank

The only green energy that I know of currently is the solar panels on the roof of Universe of Energy and a small shed behind The Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom