Disney Security Tough on Photographers

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
I figured I'd post this under "rumours" because that's what I suspect it is. The person I heard it from isn't famous for "facts" but it has me a little scared.

I am taking my DSLR camera and 3 lenses to the parks and was told by a friend that Disney security is cracking down on professional camera users to protect the images of their property from being sold or misused. He said that people with DSLR's that appear to be trying to take professional shots of buildings and events are being asked to leave the parks!

I have to say I am a little concerned by this. I want to take some good photos while I'm there and my friends are quite excited to have a "personal photographer" traveling with them and are willing to give me time to work on some shots but I don't want to have problems with security.

Does anyone know how valid this rumour is? Should I be concerned at all (please just tell me "no"...photos are going to be my main souvenir for this trip)

I know there are some great photographers on her so if anyone has some insight please let me know.

goreesha

My wife is a photographer. She took her DSLR and took a few thousand pictures, including plenty of iconic structures, and nobody said a word to her.

Philo

If I remember right, there is something about the use of high-end SLR's being prohibited but I've never heard of anyone actually being asked to stop using their camera, let alone leave the parks.

So, if there is any policy, it's unenforced. You'll be fine!

Mouse Detective

There was a story last year about Security questioning someone in Downtown Disney. I think if you're holding a camera to take pictures then no one will think twice about it but if you're setting up with a tripod then you may face some scrutiny.

janoimagine

I figured I'd post this under "rumours" because that's what I suspect it is. The person I heard it from isn't famous for "facts" but it has me a little scared.

I am taking my DSLR camera and 3 lenses to the parks and was told by a friend that Disney security is cracking down on professional camera users to protect the images of their property from being sold or misused. He said that people with DSLR's that appear to be trying to take professional shots of buildings and events are being asked to leave the parks!

I have to say I am a little concerned by this. I want to take some good photos while I'm there and my friends are quite excited to have a "personal photographer" traveling with them and are willing to give me time to work on some shots but I don't want to have problems with security.

Does anyone know how valid this rumour is? Should I be concerned at all (please just tell me "no"...photos are going to be my main souvenir for this trip)

I know there are some great photographers on her so if anyone has some insight please let me know.

I typically travel with my Canon 1DS MK III, laptop, tripod's, a host of lenses (my 100 to 400 L series looks more like a weapon than a lens) and back up camera body (50D) all in my backpack. Last year I even went as far as taking my studios Hasselblad H2 with a 50mm and a Leaf back into the parks and have never had any issues, I don't know who told you this but I would not worry about it. :D

WDWFigment

With the proliferation of DSLRs, this would be downright impossible. Many casual guests carry equipment that appears professional, and it's not feasible or practical for security to start hassling every guest with a DSLR to determine their "intent."

At some point, I could see a ban on tripods, a la Tokyo Disney Resort, but to the best of my knowledge, there are presently no such issues that your friend has described.

There are isolated incidents that have been reported, but no policy to prevent you from doing what you want to do.

rodserling27

Just ban Smart Phone's totally and make people witness life first hand.

This is my philosophy usually. Especially at concerts! Nothing is worse than having people videotape concerts with their crappy smart phones. I'm not talking grabbing one or two clips, but holding the phone up the ENTIRE show. They aren't actually enjoying the show! Sorry..a bit off topic...but same thing applies to Disney Attractions...

emcclay

Just ban Smart Phone's totally and make people witness life first hand.

If only this was a possibility. Just spent a week at WDW with my best friend who was GLUED to his phone the WHOLE time. He could care less if he has his phone when he is at home. It was incredibly rude. I wished he had dropped it into Seven Seas Lagoon! I'll apologize on his behalf for all the people he bumped into.

Back on topic, no, you will not get in trouble for taking pictures with your DSLR.

bhg469

This is my philosophy usually. Especially at concerts! Nothing is worse than having people videotape concerts with their crappy smart phones. I'm not talking grabbing one or two clips, but holding the phone up the ENTIRE show. They aren't actually enjoying the show! Sorry..a bit off topic...but same thing applies to Disney Attractions...

The phone people are annoying but the iPad concert filmers need to have their heads examined. Not only does video look terrible on those things. They cost twice as much as a device that could capture decent video without a huge glowing screen ruining everyone's view.

NowInc

Nothing to worry about. First of all, why start protecting something that has already been photographed (by lots of high end DSLRs) for years already. Disney won't officially admit it I'm sure, but I'd say its a good way to get some free advertising from the people who post high quality vacation photos. I mean..it only makes them look better.

Second..I'd go as far as to say that they wouldn't want to waste the resources it would take to actively enforce this...especially as cell phone cameras and point and shoots are getting better and better (by no means as good as a DSLR), and "high quality" photos can be achieved from just those.

Third...as said above, the only thing I see looming is a ban on tripods. I (as someone who enjoys photography) have no problem with that. Most of my pics are taken handheld, and I honestly am not selfish enough to complain about not being able to take my tripod to the parks at the expense of the comfort of others (Thanks to the FEW of those out there who don't smack into people or block pathways when using a tripod..but the majority of those who do are the problem). In fact, the only incidents where I've seen disney take action against a photographer was in situations where a tripod was being obtrusive.

So..yeah..I wouldn't worry about it.

ddbowdoin

Nothing to worry about. First of all, why start protecting something that has already been photographed (by lots of high end DSLRs) for years already. Disney won't officially admit it I'm sure, but I'd say its a good way to get some free advertising from the people who post high quality vacation photos. I mean..it only makes them look better.

Second..I'd go as far as to say that they wouldn't want to waste the resources it would take to actively enforce this...especially as cell phone cameras and point and shoots are getting better and better (by no means as good as a DSLR), and "high quality" photos can be achieved from just those.

Third...as said above, the only thing I see looming is a ban on tripods. I (as someone who enjoys photography) have no problem with that. Most of my pics are taken handheld, and I honestly am not selfish enough to complain about not being able to take my tripod to the parks at the expense of the comfort of others (Thanks to the FEW of those out there who don't smack into people or block pathways when using a tripod..but the majority of those who do are the problem). In fact, the only incidents where I've seen disney take action against a photographer was in situations where a tripod was being obtrusive.

So..yeah..I wouldn't worry about it.

and as long as a Leica exists how can one enforce what is "quality or professional".

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
Thanks for the reassurance. I had never even thought about this until this person mentioned it and it didn't seem to ring true to me. I figured Disney would be happier with better quality pictures being out there...free advertising, right?

I have also seen people glued to cell phones on rides and wonder if they're enjoying anything though I have been guilty of doing rides twice in one day fairly often - once for photos and once to sit back and enjoy

ddbowdoin

Thanks for the reassurance. I had never even thought about this until this person mentioned it and it didn't seem to ring true to me. I figured Disney would be happier with better quality pictures being out there...free advertising, right?

I have also seen people glued to cell phones on rides and wonder if they're enjoying anything though I have been guilty of doing rides twice in one day fairly often - once for photos and once to sit back and enjoy

the amount of instagram crap out there boggles my mind... sure, its great for facebook (when viewed on a cellphone) but even on a small 13 inch laptop booooom how much grain can you get!

I agree with not complaining about the tripod ban (seriously, setting up camp in the middle of a busy area and then giving everyone dirty looks because they are "in your way" is just vacation brain gone from bad to worse), but I doubt that they'll be banning higher quality lenses/ camera's any time soon. Maybe what you heard about was a time when someone saw security "taking a closer look" at someone's camera bag and it was misinterpreted as them not being allowed in the park.
I know my husband's bag has been searched at events and such before, but the only thing we were ever told (it was at an NHL game) is that a few of the really high end lenses are banned due to issues with licenses/contracts with sponsors. When you consider how many photo contests Disney has, I doubt they would ban cameras that produce a decent or higher quality photograph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom