Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test

mousehockey37

"They can also schedule special meet-and-greets with characters like Goofy."

Yeah, that's tough in WDW, esp. since he's the Great Goofini!!!

Not that there's anything special about still standing in line, oops, they left that part out. Hope people don't think they'll get treatment in a side room somewhere away from the rest of the crowds, lol.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Man, where can I get my hands on THAT strain of Pixie Dust?

"Because they were having so much fun with the technology" = "They bought "goodies" for the band", I suspect.

I fail to see how having my credit card on my wrist instead of my wallet would make me more or less inclined to buy a t-shirt.

Hey, remember "tap to pay"? A few years ago, it was going to replace all swipe based terminals, and the CC companies pushed it hard.

I wonder how many places it's in use today...

Oh...wait....

copcarguyp71

Here....let me let everyone look through these special glasses I found in the Disney executive bathroom...maybe they will help.

rose+colored+glasses.jpg

ParentsOf4

"Guests spent more on average in part because they had fun with the technology, he said."

Maybe they spent more on average because the guests were staying at WDW Deluxe Resorts (AKL or the Contemporary for the June test) and were predispositioned to spend more than on average.

MyMagic+ is a huge corporate investment and Staggs is desperate to spin it as positively as possible. Effectively, his job is to sell MyMagic+ to Wall Street, who continues to ask how is this boondoggle supposed to make money.

Take everything TWDC says about MyMagic+ with a grain of salt.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Man, where can I get my hands on THAT strain of Pixie Dust?

"Because they were having so much fun with the technology" = "They bought "goodies" for the band", I suspect.

I fail to see how having my credit card on my wrist instead of my wallet would make me more or less inclined to buy a t-shirt.

Hey, remember "tap to pay"? A few years ago, it was going to replace all swipe based terminals, and the CC companies pushed it hard.

I wonder how many places it's in use today...

Oh...wait....

Quite a few. Nearly every CC machine I see has an RFID reader on it. The magnetic strip will eventually go the way of cassette tapes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe where you are. I never see them around here.

Next time you are using a CC machine look for the symbol below, or at least something similar to it. If you see it, the CC machine has RFID. I see these on everything from gas pumps, vending machines to CC machines in Wal-mart and Home Depot.

rfid.jpg

Goofyernmost

Next time you are using a CC machine look for the symbol below, or at least something similar to it. If you see it, the CC machine has RFID. I see these on everything from gas pumps, vending machines to CC machines in Wal-mart and Home Depot.

rfid.jpg
Mobil Oil did that 20 years ago with their little magic wand. No credit card needed just wave it over the spot and your purchase would be charged to your credit card. I think they even had a sticker for you windshield that did the same thing. Didn't even have to wave anything, just drive up to the pump and you are good to go. Pretty much the same system used today on toll roads to allow prepaid amounts to pass through without stopping.

neoshinok

rfid.jpg

It's true. I work at a US store that has a lot of foreign customers and people from the UK and Canada are shocked that they still have to swipe their cards. We just do things a little slower in the states. "That's what they call progress, dear..."

Mad Stitch

rfid.jpg

Oh I know what to look for, I just don't see them very often.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's true. I work at a US store that has a lot of foreign customers and people from the UK and Canada are shocked that they still have to swipe their cards. We just do things a little slower in the states. "That's what they call progress, dear..."

We have a lot of irrational fear in this country when it comes to technology. Our news media tends to sensationalize little issues and spread paranoia as it sells quite well. I use the crap out of my check card and my magnetic strip is typically on its last leg halfway through its life cycle. This forces me to have to pay for a new card about every 12-18 months. I would love an RFID chip card that would eliminate that wear and tear problem.

tk924

I would love an RFID chip card that would eliminate that wear and tear problem.
Just make sure that you get RFID blockers for your cards.

The Radio Frequency ID ( RFID ) chip in a credit or debit card contains the account number, expiration date and other information.
RFID chips can typically be read through purses, wallets, clothing and more unlike magentic strips.
With the right equipment, somebody could obtain this information from this chip without your knowledge or permission.

ratherbeinwdw

I have the ones that are little sleeves for your cards and passport. They don't take any room in your wallet. I got some from one of the shopping channels. They have pretty ones and "manly ones". Much better than having to carry one of the aluminum wallets.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

See that is the irrational fear. RFID information can be and is almost always encrypted. Sure, someone might be able to scan your info, but it is useless without the encryption key. To my knowledge, there has never been a major RFID break outside of a lab. I also have fraud protection by default on every account for free. I will not do business with a CC company or bank unless they have that. If someone does steal my info, I make a phone call and it all goes away.

tk924

See that is the irrational fear. RFID information can be and is almost always encrypted. Sure, someone might be able to scan your info, but it is useless without the encryption key. To my knowledge, there has never been a major RFID break outside of a lab. I also have fraud protection by default on every account for free. I will not do business with a CC company or bank unless they have that. If someone does steal my info, I make a phone call and it all goes away.

With the invention of NFC, we just need to take a small, extra precaution. And I agree with you about the fraud protection, but I am of the mind that when it comes to my money I prefer to take extra measures and not solely rely on any financial institution.

We've never put our CC info on any Disney card nor will we be putting it on a wrist band either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom