News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Bocabear

On the other hand, some styles that were considered ground-breaking in their day are now despised, like Brutalism and some of Le Corbusier's ideas for urban planning (ie, nobody goes to Paris to see the suburbs beyond Le Perpherique).
Those movements are still highly regarded in art circles...and is still considered a genius.. Tourist visiting Paris usually want to see La Belle Epoch everywhere... But Corbusier wasn't designing to attract tourists, but as expressions of art and design...
Graves buildings were designed with a playful colorful aesthetic and a massive scale...Meant to be eye catching and a bit provocative...I remember in the 90s thinking the old Tomorrowland looked stale...Amazing how years later we yearn for that and see the genius of John Hench's clean modern styling.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Those movements are still highly regarded in art circles...and is still considered a genius.. Tourist visiting Paris usually want to see La Belle Epoch everywhere... But Corbusier wasn't designing to attract tourists, but as expressions of art and design...
Graves buildings were designed with a playful colorful aesthetic and a massive scale...Meant to be eye catching and a bit provocative...I remember in the 90s thinking the old tomorrowland looked stale...Amazing how years later we yearn for that and see the genius of John Henchman's clean modern styling.
OK, let me rephrase that... the suburbs outside of Le Perpherique aren't exactly desirable real estate for residential living either.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Tourist visiting Paris usually want to see La Belle Epoch everywhere... But Corbusier wasn't designing to attract tourists, but as expressions of art and design...
Plan Voisin would have torn that sort of stuff down for rows of towers like a New York City housing project.

DCBaker

Premium Member
dvl8765987098790870987fi.jpg

"To help mark the resort’s first anniversary, Disney Vacation Club commissioned The LEGO Group to create a spectacular model of Disney’s Riviera Resort, created in consultation with Disney Imagineers who helped bring the resort to life.

LEGO Master Model Builders spent more than 300 hours designing and assembling the intricately detailed model, which weighs in at 100 pounds and contains more than 45,000 LEGO elements. The model includes many of the resort’s most distinctive features, including miniature recreations of the Disney Skyliner transportation system, the resort’s feature pool and waterslide, and its signature “RR” monogram.

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse were among the first to admire the model’s faithful details (even seeing themselves depicted outside the Topolino’s Terrace – Flavors of the Riviera rooftop restaurant) when the 84-inch-by-66-inch sculpture made a brief appearance at Disney’s Riviera Resort. "

dvl098769080987.jpg

Last edited:

Seanual757

View attachment 519165

"To help mark the resort’s first anniversary, Disney Vacation Club commissioned The LEGO Group to create a spectacular model of Disney’s Riviera Resort, created in consultation with Disney Imagineers who helped bring the resort to life.

LEGO Master Model Builders spent more than 300 hours designing and assembling the intricately detailed model, which weighs in at 100 pounds and contains more than 45,000 LEGO elements. The model includes many of the resort’s most distinctive features, including miniature recreations of the Disney Skyliner transportation system, the resort’s feature pool and waterslide, and its signature “RR” monogram.

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse were among the first to admire the model’s faithful details (even seeing themselves depicted outside the Topolino’s Terrace – Flavors of the Riviera rooftop restaurant) when the 84-inch-by-66-inch sculpture made a brief appearance at Disney’s Riviera Resort. "

View attachment 519166

Very cool so glad we added this property to our portfolio we love it. The Lego model is too cool

RSoxNo1

View attachment 519165

View attachment 519166
There were more Skyliner gondolas, but there was an incident.

Animaniac93-98

View attachment 519165

View attachment 519166

It takes a true artist to built a grey box out of Lego.

castlecake2.0

I do like this resort, though I think the lobby/staircase is wayyy too small, you can barely pass people going the opposite way. Also I wish there was more landscaping, I think it would make the resort look less boxy. And I understand you can put too many trees near the skyliner, but that area feels like you’re in a desert . Dining, lounges, rooms all beautiful though, gives me DCL vibes.

nickys

Premium Member
Kinda sad a Lego miniature version has the same level of detail as the original. I still am baffled by those that enjoy this place. (Not meant as an attack! It is just so little theme, especially for the price. Location/Skyliner and maybe Toppolino's are the only pros.)
I haven’t yet visited but I’m really looking forward to going and seeing all the photos and artwork around the resort. But then I refuse to go to DHS without going into One Man’s Dream, even though I can picture just about every display case. And the rooms also appeal for the same reason. I love the room tour videos I’ve seen. So for me it’s the inside theming that’s exciting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kinda sad a Lego miniature version has the same level of detail as the original. I still am baffled by those that enjoy this place. (Not meant as an attack! It is just so little theme, especially for the price. Location/Skyliner and maybe Toppolino's are the only pros.)
I’m sure the accommodations are “appropriate” and “well equipped”...and the amenities are “adequate”...

But that is not the goal. Saratoga’s theming seems more charming to me from the outside. And I’ve long been a Saratoga critic.

I’m just not interested...at all. Flew past it last year and i’m Good.
If the upfront price and point chart was Reflective of the design...I would soften my stance.

trainplane3

I was going to say...
Place that looks like giant grey block is well represented with little grey blocks.
Though the Lego version has more color somehow.

I won't forget the DVC CM that called it a "generic Ikea showroom" when it came to its theming. Location and Skyliner are the best parts but still isn't worth the cost of the place.

ParentsOf4

I haven’t yet visited but I’m really looking forward to going and seeing all the photos and artwork around the resort. But then I refuse to go to DHS without going into One Man’s Dream, even though I can picture just about every display case. And the rooms also appeal for the same reason. I love the room tour videos I’ve seen. So for me it’s the inside theming that’s exciting.
I’m sure the accommodations are “appropriate” and “well equipped”...and the amenities are “adequate”...

But that is not the goal. Saratoga’s theming seems more charming to me from the outside. And I’ve long been a Saratoga critic.

I’m just not interested...at all. Flew past it last year and i’m Good.
If the upfront price and point chart was Reflective of the design...I would soften my stance.
We enjoyed the room and pool but as @castlecake2.0 suggested, the lobby is too small.

I felt the room was on par with the Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF) but I suspect I was simply reacting to the room's newness.

The Skyliner is a big pain. Always overcrowded in the morning and evenings, just like the bus. And, of course the Skyliner shuts down when there is a thunderstorm, which never happens in central Florida. :rolleyes:

I was rather surprised when my DW decided she wanted to stay at the Riviera again for her next birthday, but it appears she has a higher opinion of the resort now than she did when we actually stayed there.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The issue is there's nothing for a visitor to do there. It's not a resort hopper stop. In the other resorts you can take a stroll, take in the views, the ambiance, grab a drink, a sandwich, shop, listen to the band.

But the defenders swore the location was prime and none of that matters...

Ontop of the checkin and out buildings of Caribbean...so “prime” they charged $40 a night when it opened 🤪

Epcot82Guy

I will say the room design seems very nice overall. That's is a plus.

The photos of Walt and Lillian are a nice touch, though fairly minimal.

The created art work misses the mark on many regards. The ideas are solid. But it shows the creators didn't understand the source material IMHO. It really just feels like it was created by a third party with a paragraph to go from vs actual knowledge. It's fairly hollow/shallow in execution.

Bocabear

We did a resort hop there to have a cocktail in the evening... Got off the Skyliner and went to the hotel and asked a cast member if there was a lounge where we could get a cocktail... He looked baffled... then said, there is a bar by the pool...? No.. we were looking for a cocktail, not a beer by the pool... Is there a lounge? Maybe connected to a restaurant?
...He thought for a minute and then said...No, We dont have one of those here...Let me ask someone.
At which point we got on the elevator and went to the restaurant at the top of the building by ourselves...
When we walked into the restaurant, we told them we just wanted to have drinks at the bar and they looked confused... Now the Bar at the restaurant is HUUUUGE...with no one sitting there. at all... or the other tables in the "lounge area"...after we suggested to the hostess we sit at one of the tables,. she said that would be ok...
Would be OK? Does no one at that resort have a hospitality clue? Do they know their amenities?
We had a few drinks there, the bartender was nice and the service was very good... The restaurant and bar though, have all the charm of an airport concourse. Ugly austere and modern...and does not suggest "The Riviera" at all...unless it is the Ikea located on the outskirts of the Riviera...
We did totally plan on staying there, and even had reservations to stay there in June that were cancelled due to Covid... After this visit however we are not in much of a rush to return... It is all just so.....Marriott any town USA...

Dr.GrantSeeker

We did a resort hop there to have a cocktail in the evening... Got off the Skyliner and went to the hotel and asked a cast member if there was a lounge where we could get a cocktail... He looked baffled... then said, there is a bar by the pool...? No.. we were looking for a cocktail, not a beer by the pool... Is there a lounge? Maybe connected to a restaurant?
...He thought for a minute and then said...No, We dont have one of those here...Let me ask someone.
At which point we got on the elevator and went to the restaurant at the top of the building by ourselves...
When we walked into the restaurant, we told them we just wanted to have drinks at the bar and they looked confused... Now the Bar at the restaurant is HUUUUGE...with no one sitting there. at all... or the other tables in the "lounge area"...after we suggested to the hostess we sit at one of the tables,. she said that would be ok...
Would be OK? Does no one at that resort have a hospitality clue? Do they know their amenities?
We had a few drinks there, the bartender was nice and the service was very good... The restaurant and bar though, have all the charm of an airport concourse. Ugly austere and modern...and does not suggest "The Riviera" at all...unless it is the Ikea located on the outskirts of the Riviera...
We did totally plan on staying there, and even had reservations to stay there in June that were cancelled due to Covid... After this visit however we are not in much of a rush to return... It is all just so.....Marriott any town USA...
I am glad that you feel the same way as I do. My girlfriend and I have resort hopped to Rivera last year right after it opened and weren't impressed at all. We were absolutely dumbfounded when they said the only bar was the pool bar. Same boat as you @Bocabear we just wanted to sit and relax with a cocktail. Not sit at the pool bar and watch people walk around in swimsuits. I will say the the mosaic tile fountains in the walkway to the skyliner are my favorite part about the resort.

But during our most recent trip last month we decided to give Topolino's a try. Very confused as to why we had to walk down a hallway to where resort rooms are to get on the elevator to get to the top floor. I figured there would've been a direct access elevator to the top maybe closer to the lobby. I will agree that our service was very good, but overall the food and décor are all very forgettable imo. Maybe we will try it for breakfast one day but we don't plan on going back for dinner. We will continue to stay at the crescent lake resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom