News Disney Riviera Resort announced

WeWantsTheRedHead

Just imagine had they not demolished the nature/boardwalk north end of Caribbean Beach Resort and instead chosen the site where the current CBR station is. Then built the Skyliner station for both resorts and to the two theme parks through the middle of Riviera much as the monorail goes through the Contemporary. Put a commanding rooftop bar/restaurant for views of Epcot and Hollywood Studios, just like the top floor of the Contemporary. Disney previously used renowned architects for hotel projects, now it's relegated to architectural firms and sadly the new projects are lacking. The third tower next to the Swan and Dolphin is a very vanilla design for a hotel and doesn't compliment the other two properties.

pdude81

Just imagine had they not demolished the nature/boardwalk north end of Caribbean Beach Resort and instead chosen the site where the current CBR station is. Then built the Skyliner station for both resorts and to the two theme parks through the middle of Riviera much as the monorail goes through the Contemporary. Put a commanding rooftop bar/restaurant for views of Epcot and Hollywood Studios, just like the top floor of the Contemporary. Disney previously used renowned architects for hotel projects, now it's relegated to architectural firms and sadly the new projects are lacking. The third tower next to the Swan and Dolphin is a very vanilla design for a hotel and doesn't compliment the other two properties.
I don't think I'd want the TTC inside my hotel

Bocabear

If they built a new hotel incorporating a TTC, it would be done the same way...Ground level for the TTC and then Lobby and Amenities above, Rooms above that... It's not apples to Oranges at all.. When the hotel was built has nothing to do with having a TTC in it or not... I am sure they would never put the TTC in the main lobby...

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
The deadline date to buy Riviera at $188 p/point, has been pushed forward. From Jan 29 on, it'll be $195 p/point.

Got this email, today:
20200109_155141.jpg

Ravenclaw78

I really struggle to see where the value in this is at $195 a point.
Certainly no more value than at $188/point, but it almost sounds like the resort is selling out too fast and they actually need to slow down new purchases so they don't sell out before they're able to start selling Reflections. I know, at least anecdotally from DVC forums, that it's been far more popular as an add-on contract than you might expect.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's because the next one is going to sell for $215/point.

Gotta buy in now! /s
Umm, VGC sell for $260/point. VGF is at $245/point. Poly is at $235/point. BLT and BCV are at $225/point. So Riviera, even at $195/point is a bargain compared to those, and it has a longer lease life. Not saying that any of these are worth it, as I don't think they are, but if someone is buying 200 points, saving $30-70/point may be big deal to them.

nicb88

On another site, it showed some new artwork posted at the CBR Skyliner station and the piece for Riviera said ‘Disney’s Riviera Resort & Spa’. Is there any possibility of a Spa opening at Riviera or is it likely to be a mistake?

peter11435

On another site, it showed some new artwork posted at the CBR Skyliner station and the piece for Riviera said ‘Disney’s Riviera Resort & Spa’. Is there any possibility of a Spa opening at Riviera or is it likely to be a mistake?
I’m not seeing any “& Spa” on the photos of the poster I have seen.

Haymarket2008

Took a look at this property via the (fabulous) Skyliner.

Objectively this is a lovely hotel with a nice set up. I am a big fan of the Petit Patisserie and the library but.....yeesh.

No clear theme anywhere in sight. This is Disney Synergy: The Hotel with vague hints of something Italian or French. The halls and walls are littered with beautiful art that largely has nothing to do with the Riviera theme. I get it, some of them are done in the style of 1920's-40's France/Italy, but that doesn't cut it. I fear for the day when there are pictures of Wall-E and Judy Hopps with hula skirts on scattered around the Polynesian. An enormous mistake.

A glorified Sheraton.

Animaniac93-98

No clear theme anywhere in sight. This is Disney Synergy: The Hotel with vague hints of something Italian or French. The halls and walls are littered with beautiful art that largely has nothing to do with the Riviera theme. I get it, some of them are done in the style of 1920's-40's France/Italy, but that doesn't cut it.

"This is not some nondescript hotel themed to Italy or whatever. This is a Disney property with Disney pictures. It makes all the difference in leveraging our brand to sell timeshares. We've never sold timeshares at Disneyland in Florida before, so it's an exciting opportunity."

- Bob Iger

Animaniac93-98

They should have made a Pirates of the Caribbean hotel to build on the success of the pirate rooms and compliment the rest of Caribbean Beach. Have a pool complex on par, or better than Stromalong Bay. A Peter Pan character meal and newer version of the Neverland Club for kids. It would be much more "Disney" without being so generic or a major contrast to its neighbouring hotel.

IMO.

Creathir

They should have made a Pirates of the Caribbean hotel to build on the success of the pirate rooms and compliment the rest of Caribbean Beach. Have a pool complex on par, or better than Stromalong Bay. A Peter Pan character meal and newer version of the Neverland Club for kids. It would be much more "Disney" without being so generic or a major contrast to its neighbouring hotel.

IMO.
Absolutely none of the DVC properties are “themed” Disney.

That isn’t the point.
At all.

We are not talking about rooms that scream “DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY”... there are subtle Disney hints interlaced into the entire motif. The product is fairly standardized at this point, mainly to ensure the experience is roughly equivalent regardless of which DVC resort you visit.

The rooms have full kitchens, are tastefully appointed, yet have a slightly different feel from a standard resort room. Even basics such as making the bed and cleaning up are different compared to a resort room.

I have stayed in 6 of the various DVC resorts so far, the only one which felt vastly different from the others was Old Key West, and that is because it was the very first one and Disney was taking a timeshare concept and plussing it towards a resort.

Since then, most DVC properties seem to take a resort concept and plus them towards a timeshare.

Similar features, unique tones and appointments to the rooms, a standard set of features across all properties, and frankly an enjoyable experience.

Absolutely none of them carry an IP theme per se, though there are hints in common spaces.

The most uniquely themed DVC resort is AKV, and that’s purely because of the animals.

Beyond that, it’s the same product from resort to resort.

You either love it or you hate it.
It really is that simple.

(For the record, as if it was not obvious, we love it.)

Animaniac93-98

Absolutely none of the DVC properties are “themed” Disney.

That isn’t the point.
At all.

We are not talking about rooms that scream “DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY”... there are subtle Disney hints interlaced into the entire motif. The product is fairly standardized at this point, mainly to ensure the experience is roughly equivalent regardless of which DVC resort you visit.

The use of IP at Riviera is anything but subtle. It's clunky, obvious and feels tacked on because the overall design of the resort is so bland as a result of having no true theme in its architecture and design beyond being a grey box. Theme is more than what's written down or said.

lazyboy97o

The use of IP at Riviera is anything but subtle. It's clunky, obvious and feels tacked on because the overall design of the resort is so bland as a result of having no true theme in its architecture and design beyond being a grey box. Theme is more than what's written down or said.
All of which is completely separate from having amenities in line with other properties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom