News Disney Riviera Resort announced

nickys

Premium Member
I bet you’re a “Disney fan” though, aren’t ya?

What do you think of this place...based on what you know?

Of course I’m a Disney fan. Otherwise we wouldn’t have bought into DVC and wouldn’t keep coming back. For several personal reasons WDW is a very happy place for us, and I love that our boys still want to come back with us.

The building looks blah, other than the entrance and the tunnel to the Skyliner with it’s mosaic tiled walls.

I actually like the style of the quiet pool, there’s something very “classical” with the surrounding paths flanked by tall trees. I love the Fantasia splash area and the main pool.

I like what I see of the interior. I’m a big fan of the Carolwood Pacific Room at WL, with the pictures of Walt and his trains, and I love One Man’s Dream. So the photos they have of Walt in the Italian and French Riviera are something I really want to see. And the artwork in the rooms I just ❤️ because I’m a huge Aristocats fan. And I do like the style and furnishing of the rooms. I will stay here, but it’ll have to wait until I can come at a low season points-wise.

Topolino’s is a definite must-do on our next trip.

nickys

Premium Member
What do I have against DVC? I’ve made that pretty clear throughout my posting history. You claim to know everything I have to say about DVC owners and yet don’t know what my problems with DVC and many of its members are? That’s odd.

fwiw. I am a DVC owner. I have the resources to add on, but would never even consider it for a second. I don’t think all DVC members are the same, I am not the same as you. For example. But I have been around long enough to know what annoys me about the membership base as a whole.

All I know is that whenever I see your comments, your attitude towards other DVC members always appears antagonistic.

I don’t claim to know your entire posting history at all. In fact, I can only recall seeing your posts in about three threads, all of which have been criticising DVC and DVC members. I’m actually stunned you are a member yourself, had no idea.

The_Jobu

I wouldn't expect much to be available 4 months out for studios; at that point members have had 3-7 months to make a reservation. There's plenty of availability for one-bedrooms, though. If you start looking closer to 11 than 7 months in advance you should be fine getting a studio in May.

Yeah I know but I never know that far in advance when I'm visiting. It usually comes together late for me. I've actually been trying the last 3 years to rent but I'm not far enough out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I know but I never know that far in advance when I'm visiting. It usually comes together late for me. I've actually been trying the last 3 years to rent but I'm not far enough out.
Considering the sheer number of DVC contracts on the streets...you won’t have luck renting at that kinda window...except Saratoga

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
All I know is that whenever I see your comments, your attitude towards other DVC members always appears antagonistic.

I don’t claim to know your entire posting history at all. In fact, I can only recall seeing your posts in about three threads, all of which have been criticising DVC and DVC members. I’m actually stunned you are a member yourself, had no idea.
My posting has died down considerably of late. I was a premium member here for about 10 years though.

This thread has been basically the only active one for me. I find the Riviera to be a particularly galling example of what DVC has become. So it’s drawn my ire.

The_Jobu

They would likely say that about any DVC resort though. Compared with a regular resort room a DVC studio is more expensive for a non-DVC owner, which is why the rental market exists.

Not these types though. They love everything Disney, it's how they get their paycheques. It was pretty surprising for me to hear. Just my observation.

The_Jobu

I don’t see the correlation. The availability problem for you is that you are within the 7 month window (depending of course when you tried to rent).

DVC works best if you can plan at least 7+ months ahead, and most people book 11 months ahead if they know they want to visit. They may try to switch at 7 months if they can.

That's what I was saying, lots of people have bought in, things are booked up, hard to find a place unless you can really plan ahead.

rowrbazzle

That's frustrating. The first time we tried to rent points we struck out, but that was because I had no idea booking needed to be done so far in advance. We now plan our trips well ahead of time so DVC works well for us.

carolina_yankee

By summer, Saratoga Spring will be fairly booked for the fall. It will be almost impossible to get a full week anywhere in a studio or in many places a 1 BR for Oct-Dec.

SSR gets its knocks, but it's also the largest resort with by far the largest number of points sold. So it's always going to be the last to fill. It has its fanbase (reasonable people who carefully analyzed their purchases, not pixie dusters). One of my favorite spots is Congress Park for a quick jaunt to DS and a soak in its quiet pool that is one of the few remaining ones on property deep enough to reach my shoulders, and because there is no food or beverage service, nobody hangs there. Alone bobbing with a view of DS after a long park day - priceless!

I bought SSR direct in 2006 for $83 a point. Since then, I've used those points to stay at every WDW DVC resort except for VGF. Staying at Riviera at the end of the month on $83 points, nice! And I can unload them on the resale marker for $100 or so. That means every single accommodation I've stayed in since 2006 has been only the cost of the annual fees (about $630 per year, average).

It's not an investment, though there are some who think that way. For me, it was a way to stay in nicer accommodations for moderate or less than moderate prices. It has fulfilled every single expectation I've ever had of DVC. It works for some, not for others.

We did add on at Copper Creek with a very good deal on a cruise. It was worth considering doing additional SSR instead, but we liked the resort and chose to add on there for the 11 month priority. It's a resort that will be very easy to rent if we want the money instead, though I may have to book a spec reservation rather than rent the points out.

As for design, I think the Contemporary is nothing without the monorail. I think BLT is embarrassing. I hated my stay at the Boardwalk. I just offended many people who love those places. That's fine. We all like different things and Disney provides something for each.

I think it's impossible judge another's person's decision based on one person's wants/needs.

JoeCamel

[QUOTE="carolina_yankee, post: 9021130, member. That means every single accommodation I've stayed in since 2006 has been only the cost of the annual fees (about $630 per year, average).

[/QUOTE]

You don't amortize the buyin??

carolina_yankee

[QUOTE="carolina_yankee, post: 9021130, member. That means every single accommodation I've stayed in since 2006 has been only the cost of the annual fees (about $630 per year, average).

You don't amortize the buyin??
[/QUOTE]

I’m a history and theology major. I’m lucky I can calculate the average annual dues. :)

My point was I can get back more cash than I laid out. I know, opportunity cost and all that. It’s not an investment so that’s not part of my calculation.

My bigger point, I don’t have blinders and DVC has been everything for me that I expected it to be. I researched and analyzed until I came to the conclusion that a purchase was how we could cost control Disney and go as frequently as we wanted. It’s worked out very well for that.

I don’t know if I would make the same decision at today’s prices, but I know many smart people who do.

Dirk

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
By summer, Saratoga Spring will be fairly booked for the fall. It will be almost impossible to get a full week anywhere in a studio or in many places a 1 BR for Oct-Dec.
We always book SSR at the 11 month mark, just to be sure we have a place to stay. We actually love the resort, so have stayed there many times, but there are also times we swap out at the 7 month window to stay someplace new.

SSR gets its knocks, but it's also the largest resort with by far the largest number of points sold. So it's always going to be the last to fill. It has its fanbase (reasonable people who carefully analyzed their purchases, not pixie dusters). One of my favorite spots is Congress Park for a quick jaunt to DS and a soak in its quiet pool that is one of the few remaining ones on property deep enough to reach my shoulders, and because there is no food or beverage service, nobody hangs there. Alone bobbing with a view of DS after a long park day - priceless!
We stay at the Grandstand for similar reasons. We love the quiet pool, and it has a bar during the day, but is still not very crowded. Then just a short walk to the main buildings and boat. Being the first bus stop is also a huge plus.

I bought SSR direct in 2006 for $83 a point. Since then, I've used those points to stay at every WDW DVC resort except for VGF. Staying at Riviera at the end of the month on $83 points, nice! And I can unload them on the resale marker for $100 or so. That means every single accommodation I've stayed in since 2006 has been only the cost of the annual fees (about $630 per year, average).

It's not an investment, though there are some who think that way. For me, it was a way to stay in nicer accommodations for moderate or less than moderate prices. It has fulfilled every single expectation I've ever had of DVC. It works for some, not for others.

We bought in about the same time as you did, and took our time before deciding to take the plunge. We've never thought of it as an investment, but simply a way we can afford to visit WDW more often, and stay in better accommodations. Even with just the 2 of us, we normally stay in a 1 bedroom as we like the extra space and amenities.

We did add on at Copper Creek with a very good deal on a cruise. It was worth considering doing additional SSR instead, but we liked the resort and chose to add on there for the 11 month priority. It's a resort that will be very easy to rent if we want the money instead, though I may have to book a spec reservation rather than rent the points out.

As for design, I think the Contemporary is nothing without the monorail. I think BLT is embarrassing. I hated my stay at the Boardwalk. I just offended many people who love those places. That's fine. We all like different things and Disney provides something for each.

I think it's impossible judge another's person's decision based on one person's wants/needs.
We only have a few resorts left to try - CCV, BRV, BLT, and now Riviera. We don't like BLT, but will stay there eventually, just to stay there once. We love Boardwalk, and stay there quite a bit during food and wine. Since we go for 1 bedroom units, we haven't had a problem switching at 7 months. We will stay at Riviera eventually, but have no plans to buy there.

I completely agree that different people have different tastes, and I think Disney has done a good job of giving us many choices for where to stay on each trip. Anyone who criticizes someone for liking something they don't simply needs to grow up and be an adult about it.

carolina_yankee

I completely agree that different people have different tastes, and I think Disney has done a good job of giving us many choices for where to stay on each trip. Anyone who criticizes someone for liking something they don't simply needs to grow up and be an adult about it.

I'll go back to BLT or BWV with a 1 BR, but not a studio in either place. And I won't go to BLT during pool season as I don't like the pool, but apart from the lack of theming, it does have many appealing features (views, location, etc.)

Most of the early Riviera guests on MouseOwners have come back with positive reviews. Many were initially skeptical and now they are considering add-ons. I almost waited for Riviera when doing the add-on, but I got more points for my buck at CCV.

I continue to be surprised that Riviera gets knocked for lack of theming and lack of "Disney" when CCV is essentially the same - somewhat western modern decor with zero nods to any Disney IP in the villas. Yet, it's the hot place. We liked it very much, too, and the overall theming of WL surrounding us minimized any sense of lack of theming in the villas.

Riviera seems to be the opposite - the building itself isn't that exciting, but there are many positive reports of the rooms, common areas, and grounds.

Dirk

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'll go back to BLT or BWV with a 1 BR, but not a studio in either place. And I won't go to BLT during pool season as I don't like the pool, but apart from the lack of theming, it does have many appealing features (views, location, etc.)

Most of the early Riviera guests on MouseOwners have come back with positive reviews. Many were initially skeptical and now they are considering add-ons. I almost waited for Riviera when doing the add-on, but I got more points for my buck at CCV.

I continue to be surprised that Riviera gets knocked for lack of theming and lack of "Disney" when CCV is essentially the same - somewhat western modern decor with zero nods to any Disney IP in the villas. Yet, it's the hot place. We liked it very much, too, and the overall theming of WL surrounding us minimized any sense of lack of theming in the villas.

Riviera seems to be the opposite - the building itself isn't that exciting, but there are many positive reports of the rooms, common areas, and grounds.

Dirk
Who is asking for more "Disney"?

carolina_yankee

Who is asking for more "Disney"?
It’s a shame that “More Disney” once would have meant a gorgeous Beaux Arts hotel and now means cartoon character graphics.

This may be a case of different forums having different personalities. On some DVC forums there have been expressions of dismay that there is nothing "intrinsically" Disney about CCV villas. There's theming to a place, and theming to Disney. I'm not talking bout Art of Animation level of characters, but things like Hidden Mickeys, art that connects Disney with the theme (not always animation). It can be done with sophistication (and I don't mean a Pocahontas statue in the lobby like Reflections, either).

Riviera likely falls short on theming to place (I don't know - I'm not an architectural student and haven't been to the Riviera). It doesn't fail, from what I've seen, on theming to Disney (in upscale ways). CCV seems to not be themed to place or to Disney. Yet people love it.

That said, I totally agree about immersive theming. My all-time favorite resort is AKL, and even Simba's presence is minimal. There are some hidden Mickeys in the carpet and the Rock outcropping between the stairs to the Arusha Overlook from the lobby in Jambo House is a hidden Simba. I've also spent some time in South Africa, so I have a particularly personal affinity for the place.

However, BWI/V and BCV are both "immersive theming" to their themes, but I don't find them particularly unique or interesting. I feel like I could stay in a place like that anywhere. People have different connections to what they look for in theming.

I'm not complaining - but pointing out that some criticisms levied at Riviera can be levied at other DVC resorts.

Dirk

ABQ

I'm not complaining - but pointing out that some criticisms levied at Riviera can be levied at other DVC resorts.

Dirk
So true, don't know why we don't hear all the complaints about how the Beach Club looks like so may other hotels on Long Island or the Boardwalk looks like the average Jersey Shore joint. I suppose because those places aren't themed after an exotic, European resort destination? That's not an excuse though, your point is valid, imho.

lazyboy97o

So true, don't know why we don't hear all the complaints about how the Beach Club looks like so may other hotels on Long Island or the Boardwalk looks like the average Jersey Shore joint. I suppose because those places aren't themed after an exotic, European resort destination? That's not an excuse though, your point is valid, imho.
You’re right, it makes perfect sense to complain that a hotel that is supposed to look like a seaside hotel looks like a seaside hotel and no sense to complain that a supposedly Beaux Arts / Art Nouveau / Art Deco European hotel looks nothing like any of those very different styles.

Minthorne

100% agree. I got into DVC resale at SSR in 2014 for $76 a point and have actually never used my points there yet! I did add on some BWV points after so I could book trips there at 11 months, but SSR was and may still be the smart place to buy in!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom