News Disney Riviera Resort announced

carolina_yankee

I did not know that. I always thought some were DVC only. Thanks.

Sometimes there are very great AP discounts for Saratoga Springs studios. The 1 BR and above are VERY expensive compared to even standard deluxe room rates, though.

I think many in the DVC community were also shocked at how much Disney is charging for Riviera studios, which were bookable even before DVC members could book.

Any unit not declared into DVC inventory, Disney is free to offer through their hotel inventory. Otherwise, they add the villas to the hotel inventory as owners trade out for a stay elsewhere or or Disney gets access to member points through other rules of the system.

Dirk

carolina_yankee

I think the Riviera resort will be pretty nice overall, but it's great charm will likely be its interiors.

The exterior does look a bit blah, but I'm willing to wait and see what the finished product looks like with all the landscaping and grounds features.

As for "screaming Disney," I have to say that there was very little in my recent Copper Creek stay that indicated it was a Disney villa - virtually none of the art and I don't think I found a hidden Mickey. It was nicely themed as a contemporary western lodge in the mountains, but it didn't say "Disney." And it was a very nice stay.

OKW also doesn't strike me as any different than any other condo complex I've seen throughout the South, so again, I'm not sure that "theming" of one element of the resort is as critical as the experience of the whole package.

Dirk

eddie104

Absolutely a large concrete Marriott, just like we have been expecting. I just don't understand why Disney is "Disneyfying" their signature deluxe theme resorts while also building these nondescript, concrete Hilton/Marriott type hotels on the same property.

Walt Disney World is quickly going from the most well-planned, themed resort to the biggest mish-mash of crap we have ever seen. And all for what might as well be a million dollars a day to most families, to visit. Sad.
I think your being over dramatic for one and two not every resort at WDW is themed to the high heavens so your second statement is odd. Also it was already a mish mash of different styles so these new hotels are not going to change that.

CLEtoWDW

Looks like quite a trek to the gondola station particular from the rooms across the hotel...
This was one of my biggest gripes about the resort. Sure you have the “convenience” of the Skyliner but you have quite the walk to the station and heaven forbid that thing breaks down... neat concept but I think the execution of the Skyliner will leave me disappointed.

MickeyMinnieMom

This was one of my biggest gripes about the resort. Sure you have the “convenience” of the Skyliner but you have quite the walk to the station and heaven forbid that thing breaks down... neat concept but I think the execution of the Skyliner will leave me disappointed.
I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m more concerned with how often Disney will shut it down for “lightning in the area”, pushing people to buses. Particularly in the summer with those daily thunderstorms. Guess we’ll see in practice how often this ends up being — but some have said this is their plan.

Struck me as way too up in the air to buy at riviera — even if I could make the numbers work (which I can’t for our situation).

CLEtoWDW

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m more concerned with how often Disney will shut it down for “lightning in the area”, pushing people to buses. Particularly in the summer with those daily thunderstorms. Guess we’ll see in practice how often this ends up being — but some have said this is their plan.

Struck me as way too up in the air to buy at riviera — even if I could make the numbers work (which I can’t for our situation).
Exactly. Here’s the cluster that I picture: I’m leaving EPCOT so I walk back towards the international gateway only to find the Skyliner is down. Now I have to walk all the way back towards the main entrance to catch a bus back to the resort. This will happen.

MickeyMinnieMom

Exactly. Here’s the cluster that I picture: I’m leaving EPCOT so I walk back towards the international gateway only to find the Skyliner is down. Now I have to walk all the way back towards the main entrance to catch a bus back to the resort. This will happen.
Definitely... it's a matter of frequency, I guess. To me, that's not reliable transportation that I'd shell out that kind of money for. Unless there was a walkway to Epcot. Which I know is not in the cards.

pdude81

This is not unlike the Polynesian though where you have to walk for everything. In BLT and VGF you have to walk to different buildings for transportation as well as food IIRC even if all walking is covered.

ABQ

This is not unlike the Polynesian though where you have to walk for everything. In BLT and VGF you have to walk to different buildings for transportation as well as food IIRC even if all walking is covered.
Right, we've often stayed at near or at the very end of the VWL and the walk to the boat dock is quite a trek, it is what it is. With any large structure, something is going to be far away from some rooms.

ABQ

I wonder if they could, well I know they could, but would, run busses from the Beach Club bus stop to Riviera and points beyond in such events? Still a longer walk than the Skyliner terminal, but shorter than the walk to the Epcot bus stops.

pdude81

I wonder if they could, well I know they could, but would, run busses from the Beach Club bus stop to Riviera and points beyond in such events? Still a longer walk than the Skyliner terminal, but shorter than the walk to the Epcot bus stops.

There is road that goes behind where the Skyliner station is and behind the gift shop. I have no knowledge of their plans but they could potentially have a stop there for a bus that would run a loop between Caribbean Beach, Riviera, and Pop/AoA. The time of day the summer lightning usually happens isn't when a ton of people are looking to get somewhere anyway.

MickeyMinnieMom

We're owners at BLT and stay there all the time. The walk to the monorail doesn't look nearly as far, and the BLT rooms are not as spread out as Riviera. But the main thing: WE WALK TO MK!! No such option at Riviera which makes its pricing over the top IMO.

Last edited:

pdude81

We're owners at BLT and stay there all the time. The walk to the monorail doesn't look nearly as far, and the BLT rooms are not as spread out as Riviera. But the main thing: WE WALK TO MK!! No such option at Riviera which makes its pricing over the top IMO.
I think the walk from most Riviera rooms to the Skyliner is similar to the walk from most BLT rooms to the Monorail. Probably a little longer on average depending on how the elevators are set up and the pathways on the first floor, but that difference may be made up for by the speed at which you get to your destination.

Walking to MK is a special privilege of BLT/CR and unless they create a 5th gate, there will probably be no more new resorts created that allow you to walk directly to a park. And to be fair the opening "member discount" version of the Riviera pricing could get you down to around $160 per point while the direct price of BLT is over $200 per point (demand pricing of course). When Reflections goes on sale, there will likely be a similar long walk to a boat dock for the non-bus transportation and it'll cost more than Riviera did.

It's all personal in terms of what we think these things are worth. I can't see myself paying direct prices moving forward if they keep rising, but a new Riviera contract was barely more than what I paid for a new PVB contract years ago, with similar (IMO) amenities and transportation ease. Waiting to see the execution would cost me more than $20 a point and price me out, so my family decided that we would trust them not to screw up the Skyliner. If the lightning stoppages or walking ability are major issues for you, then staying on cash with ap discounts at the new CSR tower probably stacks up pretty evenly to Riviera without the long term contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom