News Disney Riviera Resort announced

nickys

Premium Member
No doubt...that’s what allows them to raise the points 8 dollars a year...if not more

Few...even though there are places like this where you can become fully educated...Disney sells primarily to the uneducated

It’s the intoxication of the name on the door. For some reason - people assume that Disney is NOT out to get them. It’s upside down logic. Or lack thereof.

Up until yesterday at least, everyone who has bought there has been adding on. Hardly uneducated, they know exactly what they’re getting into. They’re buying so they can stay there a couple of nights a year, or longer every 2-3 years, as part of their overall WDW vacations. Some have sold one contract to buy this one. Others have enough points elsewhere to rent out some to cover MFs and use the rest. Some just have the money to spend.

But you’re also correct, in that a lot of new buyers will not know the ins and outs, and may not have calculated the overall cost including MFs. Which is why the resale market exists.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Up until yesterday at least, everyone who has bought there has been adding on. Hardly uneducated, they know exactly what they’re getting into. They’re buying so they can stay there a couple of nights a year, or longer every 2-3 years, as part of their overall WDW vacations. Some have sold one contract to buy this one. Others have enough points elsewhere to rent out some to cover MFs and use the rest. Some just have the money to spend.

It's more uncaring then uneducated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

But you’re also correct, in that a lot of new buyers will not know the ins and outs, and may not have calculated the overall cost including MFs. Which is why the resale market exists.

Then those wise sages can explain to me why they’re buying Barbados at 2,3,4 times what they had bought prior in more interesting and detailed locations?

Use small words...it’s hard for me to keep up 😳

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol, never!!

Did I read it right that the price is $188/point. actually that should be the "ouch" moment. Boy every time I see those numbers and really think I should sell my BCV points.
Unfortunately then I'd have to sleep with one eye open because the family would put a hit out on me.
I think mine ended up being $73 a point...

I never honestly thought about it again. At $188 a point...it’s all I’d think about while I was there. So what fun is that?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Like the DDP, DVC no longer offers cost savings except in the most extreme fuzzy way possible. Folks just like prepaying when it comes to Disney. Pre pay for food, pre pay for lodging, prepay for decent seats to fireworks, prepay for less crowded parks. Whatever it is.

DVC is obviously a very large prepay, but that's still all it is now.

Also, there is some very odd thing that has happened where DVC owners are super proud to own a timeshare. And they get more and more proud with every add on. "I have 750 points!!!! MAGICAL!!!" Weird.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like the DDP, DVC no longer offers cost savings except in the most extreme fuzzy way possible. Folks just like prepaying when it comes to Disney. Pre pay for food, pre pay for lodging, prepay for decent seats to fireworks, prepay for less crowded parks. Whatever it is.

Also, there is some very odd thing that has happened where DVC owners are super proud to own a timeshare. And they get more and more proud with every add on. "I have 750 points!!!! MAGICAL!!!" Weird.

I shouldn’t encourage you...because we all know legit criticism can’t be tolerated in a “safe” zone...

But it’s hard to dispute anything you said.

My problem was DVC was designed as a give and take....not just a “take”

The DDP was a hoax from the start...a shield to encourage more spending and shed costs. That’s ok...but everything shouldn’t be for longterm business success.

DVC is going to look completely different once the originals that bought it - the ones that invested in a struggling start up - are rolled over and those units expire.

It is very weird. Timeshares were skeevy and had to be sold as a benefit for the first 10 years of DVC...now the second generation trump it as a status symbol.

Weird indeed

nickys

Premium Member

Also, there is some very odd thing that has happened where DVC owners are super proud to own a timeshare.

I agree. That is the only reason people should buy in. It’s why we bought in, and it happens to have paid off, should we want to sell - which we don’t yet. But if we don’t “make” anything when we sell, so be it.

I fail to see any other reason to buy in.

Those that come three or four times a year can probably do so that often simply because they bought in. Those buying for the first time today are unlikely to be able to accumulate points in the same way. Many of the big points owners I know bought when the recession was in full swing.

As for the pride in being members, why not? That has been the case for a long time, remember that slogan “Disney’s best kept secret”?

MickeyMinnieMom

Ouch.
Did you really just call a bunch of people stupid?
Let’s not put words in people’s mouths please. I said “uneducated consumers” on this type of purchase. Having worked in timeshare a bit years ago, I’d say the majority fall in this category when it comes to this type of purchase. There’s a lot to know to determine if it’s actually a good deal for you — and most just plain don’t know what they don’t know on this, and take at face value what salespeople tell them.

It’s indisputable that DVC is becoming less attractive as a pure financial deal than it once was. If I use identical assumptions with my various DVC purchases I arrive at 6-7yrs break even. DRR the best I can get to is 15yrs.

As it becomes less attractive as a pure financial proposition, the pool of folks who will ultimately extract value in practice shrinks.

If they get the same number of buyers for this as past resorts, this means people were either a) less educated on the purchase on average, or b) are educated, know it may not be a great deal, but bought it anyway for intangible reasons.

If b), more power to them and Disney! I’d just bet there’s a healthy dose of a) thrown in there on this one.

It will still be a “good deal” for people who will use their points on DVC only, own it for long enough, don’t have alternative investments that would produce a better yield over time, etc, etc. But FEWER of these people exist wrt DRR than any DVC to date.

My opinion based on my experience. :)

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
It's more uncaring then uneducated.

Uncaring? Did they upset you in some way? Are they being unkind to you by buying?

Oh, you mean they don’t care (different thing) .... about what exactly?

Ouch.
Did you really just call a bunch of people stupid?

It’s what he does to anyone who disagrees with him. About anything.

Then those wise sages can explain to me why they’re buying Barbados at 2,3,4 times what they had bought prior in more interesting and detailed locations?

Use small words...it’s hard for me to keep up 😳

How about they want to stay at this resort without having to fight for 7 month availability (sorry, is that too long a word)?

I happen to think POFQ is garish, totally unappealing. I don’t call people stupid and uneducated for wanting to stay there. YMMV.

nickys

Premium Member
She was saying that to me, because I used the phrase “uneducated consumers”. Which I stick by. ;)

Maybe she was. It also applies to him though:

Reaping suckers at retail and on credit until the economy sinks or bob retires...

Hard to make much of a case otherwise
Few...even though there are places like this where you can become fully educated...Disney sells primarily to the uneducated

It’s the intoxication of the name on the door. For some reason - people assume that Disney is NOT out to get them. It’s upside down logic. Or lack thereof.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How about they want to stay at this resort without having to fight for 7 month availability (sorry, is that too long a word)?

I happen to think POFQ is garish, totally unappealing. I don’t call people stupid and uneducated for wanting to stay there. YMMV.

Maybe you should call them that?? Legit opinion. Even if many don’t disagree.

The fact that anyone has to fight the window represents a failure of the DVC system...did I mention I worked with the first GM?

But that’s long ago water that has left the bridge...so we will move forward.

Caribbean sucks and this place looks bland. That’s my opinion. The beauty of that is maybe it will exceed my expectations?

The point chart and price does not. That can’t be fixed. You’re not gonna duplicate the Epcot resort area detail of the boardwalk and yacht club by slapping a tower on top of the 1600 bus stop and attaching a ski lift to it. Quite simply: imagineering and finance aren’t allowed to put that level of detail in anymore. But I’m sure I will be assuredly told otherwise for many moons to come.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@nickys

We can have a healthy difference opinion directly...no need to quote me indirectly to someone else.

This thing will sell and people will love it. Not my cup of tea for many reasons - a lot of them systemic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand. He and I have tussled more than once... here and on another board. ;)

But there’s a real point here wrt DVC becoming less and less of a “good deal”. And many consumers are incredibly ignorant in the timeshare space — it’s just true. Not all, obviously, but many.

You have to defend the shield...you end up in “my lot” if you change your mind.

I was once the biggest promoter of both DVC and the whole WDW complex

Hopefully I get back to that stance someday...it isn’t looking good though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom