News Disney Riviera Resort announced

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So another Disney project that lots of people have made up their minds that it’s going to suck, long before it’s completed. How many of you will come back and admit you were wrong after it’s finished? None of you, I’ll wager, as you’ll just be on to the next project to bash before it’s done. /my rant over

I think it will look great, and can’t wait to buy points there!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So another Disney project that lots of people have made up their minds that it’s going to suck, long before it’s completed. How many of you will come back and admit you were wrong after it’s finished? None of you, I’ll wager, as you’ll just be on to the next project to bash before it’s done. /my rant over

I wouldn’t say lots of people. There’s been a few people who were underwhelmed with the concept art and a few more who are probably in the “anything DVC is bad” camp. The majority are probably just waiting to see how it turns out. The issues raised about views from inside EPCOT are valid, but I also think there is time to address them and like I said before, the pictures showing an intrusive building next to Germany are zoomed in. The actual human eye view while looking out over the lake isn’t too bad even now and there’s still ways to make it even better.

I really don’t see how anyone can draw a conclusion one way or the other on the quality of theme or look of the place based on that one really vague piece of concept art. The jury is still out IMHO. As far as buying points or wanting to stay here, I think it’s going to be quite popular. Even without knowing the complete theme, just the proximity to EPCOT and DHS with a dedicated gondola station and the rooftop lounge will be enough to hook a lot of buyers. The improvements to CBR also add to the appeal since it will be a quick walk over for a meal. If the theme, pool and other amenities are really well done it will sell even faster.

Monorail_Red_77

I noticed this today as I was going past what will be Riviera’s main entrance. Photo as of today Sunday 10-21.
It was Called Project 88-2. I’m sure this is old news.

721AD993-528A-4575-9CCC-939DE7D30B49.jpeg

PG 134

That is now a construction entrance for PCL and assorted contractors working on the Riviera project. PCL would also be the ones involved with the Skyliner. Everyone else is to use the new entrance on Victory Way for Caribbean Beach.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

What a weird rant. You are angry at people who made up their minds negatively about this project based on the knowledge we all have so far, and yet....

You have made up your mind to spend money on this resort already. How is it that any different? I know you are a "proud DVC member" whatever that means, but you are essentially doing the exact same thing as the doom and gloomers, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I wouldn’t say lots of people. There’s been a few people who were underwhelmed with the concept art and a few more who are probably in the “anything DVC is bad” camp. The majority are probably just waiting to see how it turns out. The issues raised about views from inside EPCOT are valid, but I also think there is time to address them and like I said before, the pictures showing an intrusive building next to Germany are zoomed in. The actual human eye view while looking out over the lake isn’t too bad even now and there’s still ways to make it even better.

I really don’t see how anyone can draw a conclusion one way or the other on the quality of theme or look of the place based on that one really vague piece of concept art. The jury is still out IMHO. As far as buying points or wanting to stay here, I think it’s going to be quite popular. Even without knowing the complete theme, just the proximity to EPCOT and DHS with a dedicated gondola station and the rooftop lounge will be enough to hook a lot of buyers. The improvements to CBR also add to the appeal since it will be a quick walk over for a meal. If the theme, pool and other amenities are really well done it will sell even faster.

I think you are dead on. I mean, look at Bay Lake Tower. Every concern people have about Riviera has already been realized at BLT. Ugly generic exterior. Check. Uninspired boring interior? Check. Cheap finishes? Check. Bad sightlines from in the park? Check.

And they didn't have any issues selling points there. Ultimately, the new DVC members don't seem to care about the quality of their accommodations, just that they are near the parks. :shrugs:

Ripken10

Yes, between Germany and Italy for Brazil. The pad between Germany and China is indeed used for fireworks such that any new pavilion(s) there would need their Eastern side hardened against fire (some nice concrete work would work, I'd imagine).

As for keeping up with rumors, there's a thread for that. :)
I love this video everytime. Looking forward to the next rumor to come out so you can update it again. Would you ever consider in next one to put an estimated completion date (maybe just year) on each of the buildings as you fly over it? I don't think it would make it too crowded (of course then it could open up the flood gates). Love these, hope you keep doing them

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I do not think it will "suck". I do think that they missed the mark...again. The new hotel near Swan and Dolphin, the newly released concept art for the DVC resort near WL and this Riveria Tower are just plain boring by Disney resort standards. I am sure the interior will be lovely, but I do not understand the shift in resort design from what was once an actual theme to what we see now which is "upgraded Best Western" exterior.

Lensman

I do not think it will "suck". I do think that they missed the mark...again. The new hotel near Swan and Dolphin, the newly released concept art for the DVC resort near WL and this Riveria Tower are just plain boring by Disney resort standards. I am sure the interior will be lovely, but I do not understand the shift in resort design from what was once an actual theme to what we see now which is "upgraded Best Western" exterior.
I suppose I agree with the bulk of what you're saying. I don't know that it could be denied that Disney is "getting cheap" on their resorts (but I'd like to see someone try). OTOH, I don't know that I'd heap as much scorn on the people who think that this resort could turn out to be quite nice. I know that you're not one of them and I applaud you for taking the high road and avoiding name-calling and ridiculing the taste or judgement of others who probably fall into the "somewhat like" category instead of the "somewhat dislike" category.

I think I'd most question whether there is *any* justification for the blandification or, putting a spin on it that is sure to invite ridicule, "subtle-ization" of the theming? I wonder if my kids, once grown, will think that dad's appreciation for the "grand" and highly detailed theming of the GF or Poly is as old-fashioned as our appreciation for the "big hair" of the 80's and '90s or my appreciation for brown wood furniture.

It's like discussions I have with friends about whether my appreciation for the reproduction theming at WDW is somewhat "low brow" because it's, well, reproduction. I think it's simply nice and appreciate the detailing, but they think it's "fake" and think that it would be better if Disney would either go full-on-fantasy like at AoA or to be more genuine by incorporating concepts and zeitgeist but not fall into the "uncanny valley" of reproduction architecture.

I hope that the Riviera lives up to these hopes, because it clearly fails to live up to the hopes of those who want high quality reproduction architecture. But I think both hopes have validity and neither is worthy of scorn.

BTW, for everyone calling all the new towers "upgraded Best Western" or "upgraded Springhill Suites", what praise would you heap on this?
fourseasons287of129-3440685827-o_1200xx4739-2666-0-244.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
What a weird rant. You are angry at people who made up their minds negatively about this project based on the knowledge we all have so far, and yet....

You have made up your mind to spend money on this resort already. How is it that any different? I know you are a "proud DVC member" whatever that means, but you are essentially doing the exact same thing as the doom and gloomers, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think you are dead on. I mean, look at Bay Lake Tower. Every concern people have about Riviera has already been realized at BLT. Ugly generic exterior. Check. Uninspired boring interior? Check. Cheap finishes? Check. Bad sightlines from in the park? Check.

And they didn't have any issues selling points there. Ultimately, the new DVC members don't seem to care about the quality of their accommodations, just that they are near the parks. :shrugs:
Actually, my statement was simply asking for those of you who seem to have made up your mind about the resort already, will you come back and admit that you were wrong IF you see it in person, and actually like how it turned out.
I ask because it seems that most haters don’t come back after a project is done to admit they were wrong, they simply don’t come back to a particular thread, but then you see those same people trashing another project before it’s done.

I’m not angry at anyone in particular. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but at least admit you were wrong if something doesn’t turn out as you expected (and I’m not directing this at “you”).

I say all of this because of one particular person that trashed the Poly lobby redo over and over, but once that person was there and saw it in person, they admitted that it looked good. Very rare around here for someone to do that.

Oh, and I don’t like BLT either.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I suppose I agree with the bulk of what you're saying. I don't know that it could be denied that Disney is "getting cheap" on their resorts (but I'd like to see someone try). OTOH, I don't know that I'd heap as much scorn on the people who think that this resort could turn out to be quite nice. I know that you're not one of them and I applaud you for taking the high road and avoiding name-calling and ridiculing the taste or judgement of others who probably fall into the "somewhat like" category instead of the "somewhat dislike" category.

I think I'd most question whether there is *any* justification for the blandification or, putting a spin on it that is sure to invite ridicule, "subtle-ization" of the theming? I wonder if my kids, once grown, will think that dad's appreciation for the "grand" and highly detailed theming of the GF or Poly is as old-fashioned as our appreciation for the "big hair" of the 80's and '90s or my appreciation for brown wood furniture.

It's like discussions I have with friends about whether my appreciation for the reproduction theming at WDW is somewhat "low brow" because it's, well, reproduction. I think it's simply nice and appreciate the detailing, but they think it's "fake" and think that it would be better if Disney would either go full-on-fantasy like at AoA or to be more genuine by incorporating concepts and zeitgeist but not fall into the "uncanny valley" of reproduction architecture.

I hope that the Riviera lives up to these hopes, because it clearly fails to live up to the hopes of those who want high quality reproduction architecture. But I think both hopes have validity and neither is worthy of scorn.

BTW, for everyone calling all the new towers "upgraded Best Western" or "upgraded Springhill Suites", what praise would you heap on this?
View attachment 321517
People have different preferences for design and theme. My wife and I prefer the theme and setting of the Boardwalk resorts the most. Some prefer the Polynesian for its appeal and others like yourself appreciate the GF. All great hotels, IMO and we have stayed at each of them and had a great time. Having that variety of different themes, along with all the other resorts such as AKL, WL, POR, CBR, etc allows for so many unique experiences to be had. The "blandification" (great term btw), of the latest resorts being built does little to add to the charismatic appeal of WDW resort as a whole.

We all love WDW because once you drive under those arches you are transported to a different place outside of reality. It is not just simply because the name Walt Disney World is on a sign. It is a grand design of so many smaller parts making up a whole. The brightly colored street signs, the amazing sights you pass by such as ToT, Swan and Dolphin, the advertisements for attractions and even the purple colored plumbing pipes that are exposed all come together to create an emotional appeal that makes it so unique. Puling up to your resort is the icing on the cake as you become immersed in themes such as Africa, The Boardwalk, The Wilderness, The South Pacific, and so many others that give you that "Im home" feeling.

Of course these resorts are not going anywhere and we can still enjoy them, but these new designs simply do not enhance the experience, IMO. That is unless a person is excited by airport style hotels for insurance seminars.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love this video everytime. Looking forward to the next rumor to come out so you can update it again. Would you ever consider in next one to put an estimated completion date (maybe just year) on each of the buildings as you fly over it? I don't think it would make it too crowded (of course then it could open up the flood gates). Love these, hope you keep doing them

Thanks. Already, I need to add the new Japan Pavilion restaurant and a refurbed Planet Watch.

View attachment 321517

It's large.

;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I knew I should have copyrighted and trademarked the term "blandification" when I first used it... ;)

BLT sold as well as it did due to three things: Location, location, and location. You cannot beat it's location if you visit MK, and even Epcot, frequently during a stay there. It remains a popular DVC reservation because of that. The rooms are a solid "meh", neither horrid nor astounding. You have to walk over to the Contemporary for any retail or food service. Riviera has a leg up on BLT from that aspect, and it's location on the Skyliner should make it popular for those visiting Epcot and DHS. I expect it will be similarly difficult to find a room there because of those things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom