News Disney Riviera Resort announced

ProfSavage

I was just thinking.... You know the beaches in São Paulo are called the Riviera de São Lourenco or the Riviera of Brazil... this is a new DVC for the Epcot area... São Paulo is in Brazil.... BRAZIL PAVILION CONFIRMD!!!!!111!!!1!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The view of IllumiNations will be pretty spectacular from this position right behind and above the American Adventure.

If you draw a straight line from Riviera to the middle of Showcase Lagoon, the sight line is over Germany and Brazil.

As far as aesthetics go... I didn't think WDW would ever repeat the banality of Bay Lake Tower. Is this what DVC owners want... an apartment building?

ProfSavage

If you draw a straight line from Riviera to the middle of Showcase Lagoon, the sight line is over Germany and Brazil.

As far as aesthetics go... I didn't think WDW would ever repeat the banality of Bay Lake Tower. Is this what DVC owners want... an apartment building?

From the one pic we got, it does kind of look like a generic high rise hotel you'd see on the beaches of... wait for it... Brazil. The theme/decoration could be on the back that will face Epcot (if the pic we got is on the front and faces the existing CBR). So generic in the front, party in the back? That matches sightlines for the Brazilian pavilion...

John park hopper

So, this is going where they tore down Barbados and part of Martinique. Having stayed in Marinique in May I just can't picture this generic high rise in the middle of CBR. IMO this will look so out of place and not even the same theme (Riviera, other side of the Atlantic) it will ruin the layed back atmosphere CBR has. I guess DVC hotels from a financial stand point is benefit to Disney-- they get guaranteed income plus members pay all up keep on the buildings with a built in cost increase every year. With all the property available seems they could have picked a better spot. Had planned on returning in 2019 to CBR when construction was completed now will wait and see. Catering to DVC the wave of the future for Disney?????? If Disney needs a list of things that need upgrading I would be glade to give it to them another generic hotel is not one of them. As a start upgrade the monorail system. Put some time and thought into EPCOT the forgotten park, Improve the transportation system some sort of mass people mover rather than buses from the resorts just my 2 cents

Last edited:

deeevo

So not only are they making the rooms sterile and thoughtless now it is the resorts. They do know that they have to sell these DVC resorts right? And they have to sell them to people who love the WDW for its immersiveness of the parks and resorts.

Sir_Cliff

From the one pic we got, it does kind of look like a generic high rise hotel you'd see on the beaches of... wait for it... Brazil. The theme/decoration could be on the back that will face Epcot (if the pic we got is on the front and faces the existing CBR). So generic in the front, party in the back? That matches sightlines for the Brazilian pavilion...
Wouldn't the front be facing toward Epcot and the back toward the CBR and lake? Surely that's the direction from which the road will be coming?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The artwork is the front of the hotel and Is facing Epcot. The back will face the lake. See the drawing below that shows the location of the hotel.

upload_2017-7-16_7-30-41.png

upload_2017-7-16_7-30-13.png

Sir_Cliff

I guess they're going for a Monaco/French Riviera theme. Monaco is full of fairly generic-looking but very expensive hotels that trade to a large extent on their location and incorporate minimal design touches to reflect that location. Hmm, even the theme seems uninspired.

There are nice, old hotels in Monte Carlo, though, that they could have drawn on for inspiration...

renovation-de-l-hotel-de-paris-monaco.jpg

It looks kind of like they've taken that hotel (the Hotel de Paris), scaled it up, and included only subtle nods to the original decoration.

Last edited:

Biff215

This resort is all about getting DVC in on the gondola system (and probably getting them to pay for it too). I'm not a fan of the location within CBR, both for the loss of theme for the moderate and the awkward inclusion of a deluxe villas resort, even though they're technically separate. And the similarity to the CSR tower can't be accidental. I wouldn't be surprised if DVC (actually DVD, the construction side) is footing at least some of the CSR bill to justify taking the CBR space.

There are so many other places that this could have been built, yet DVC has become so lazy that they refuse to build anything from scratch, instead relying upon existing infrastructure. And the resorts they affect probably argue very little as they all get tons of cash poured in to upgrade other areas of the resort, and then guaranteed maintenance fees for the next 50 years.

The unfortunate part is this will continue to sell despite the ridiculous price per point Disney charges as well as the number of points needed to stay there. Where do they move on to next? This makes it clear no resort is safe.

Full disclaimer, we have owned DVC for ten years at SSR, paid $86/point through Disney and have had great vacations all across WDW property. While each new resort technically benefits my membership, I really don't like the direction it's going, and it's the main reason we didn't add on as planned.

DisneyPrincess5

Wow I'm excited for this!!! The roof top restaurant alone is awesome. This will be a nice DVC option close to a park with special transportation.

Cosmic Commando

I guess they're going for a Monaco/French Riviera theme. Monaco is full of fairly generic-looking but very expensive hotels that trade to a large extent on their location and incorporate minimal design touches to reflect that location. Hmm, even the theme seems uninspired.

There are nice, old hotels in Monte Carlo, though, that they could have drawn on for inspiration...

It looks kind of like they've taken that hotel (the Hotel de Paris), scaled it up, and included only subtle nods to the original decoration.
Similar to what they did with the new MSUSA theater. If you look at the concept art versus what Disney itself says is the inspiration, the level of detail is so far below as to be almost unrecognizable.

Main-Street-USA_Full_30594.jpg

Bocabear

Wow that is a great comparison, and yes...they have undershot the goal by scores...lol
I am not sure why they would even consider the Riviera theme when they are on the grounds of the Caribbean Beach Hotel...why not look towards the Caribbean for inspiration and build something iconic and beautiful...With a spectacular pool and amenities...Lazy river, the works... this is Disney... not Marriott....

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If they made an exact replica of that hotel people would still be foaming at the mouth and gathering their pitch forks. No matter what Disney does with the design DVC = evil.

That being said I hope they make the common areas and especially the pool area in the back pretty darn nice. This will not be connected to a deluxe resort so the amenities will have to stand on their own. It will be connected to DHS and EPCOT via the gondolas with what I'm assuming will be a DVC members only lounge up top as selling features but 300 DVC units is pretty large (same size as BLT) so that's a lot of points to sell. If they throw in a pretty generic pool area (like BLT) I'm not sure the gondola and rooftop lounge will be enough to sell it easily. It's tough for me to get too worked up over a single piece of concept art showing the front of the tower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom