Disney Resorts Wifi Reliability

tecowdw

Unscientific poll...

If you have used Disney's free wifi service inside guest rooms, vote in the poll for bad experiences. Perhaps we can get a good indication of which resort need improvement in quality.

Choose as many as you have actually experienced.

If you had good wifi, you can't vote in the poll but be sure to post and let us know where!

tecowdw

Original Poster
Of the four resorts I have experienced so far with Wifi, only BoardWalk Villas had a good connection.

I'll find out about OKW in a couple weeks.

Upvote 0

BalooChicago

We stayed at WL in January and WiFi was laughably bad. While I didn't stay at GF or Boardwalk I had connection issues the whole time I was visiting those resorts as well.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

I'm curious about speeds. Would like to see some speedtest.net results. It would be nice to be able to use that to upload our pictures to the cloud each day and share them. I can do it on my phone too, but would be much easier on my laptop.

The speed on my phone is probably faster though.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

WDW has the lowest possible speed in their wifi....i have an iPad with 3G and it was much faster than the internet connection. The Wifi system is not something that WDW makes money off of -- they aren't going to invest anything in the infrastructure to make it whiz-bang and keep people in their rooms....they want to keep people OUT of their rooms, and out spending money in the parks, DD, and restaurants.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So far I have yet to have a positive experience getting download rates of around 1.5 mbps max at both CS at BC, but it is free and I have an issue with complaining about free services.

Upvote 0

phinedroid

When I was at the Polynesian in December, I didn't have any trouble, but it does boot you off quickly if you aren't active - by that I mean go use the restroom, get a drink, adjust the air conditioner, etc. not lengthy inactivity.

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

I was at Boardwalk Villas in late Feb/early March and the WiFi was atrocious. I was trying to upload my photos - the upload speed was telling me it was going to take 16 hours to upload them to kodakgallery. It never made it as the connection would break every few minutes. I could not even answer work email in the morning as the connection would break and I would not know whether the message was sent or not.... definitely not a good thing.

Upvote 0

vjgraham

I was at Boardwalk Villas in late Feb/early March and the WiFi was atrocious. I was trying to upload my photos - the upload speed was telling me it was going to take 16 hours to upload them to kodakgallery. It never made it as the connection would break every few minutes. I could not even answer work email in the morning as the connection would break and I would not know whether the message was sent or not.... definitely not a good thing.

For those of us going to Disney and not having wifi at all, any wifi no matter how slow is an improvement. Disney is so large and so crowded at times, it is no wonder bandwidth is going to be hard to come by.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For those of us going to Disney and not having wifi at all, any wifi no matter how slow is an improvement. Disney is so large and so crowded at times, it is no wonder bandwidth is going to be hard to come by.
Yes and no. It is nice to have email, facebook and such on a laptop vs a phone but trying to do anything of substance can be maddening.

Upvote 0

chipndale09

we were in PORFQ early march this year and we were quite pleased with the WIFI. Even thought they stated the WIFI range would limited to the pool and lobby area but even in our rooms we had a decent signal.

At least it is a step up to their hard wire service from the past :)

Upvote 0

draybook

Free doesn't always mean good. I can ________ in your hand for free, but chances are you're going to complain. Are we going to be grateful for free wi-fi in our resort, sure. Is it going to be worth it if it's so slow I'd be better off lugging an Apple II down there and launching via AOL, no.

It's not a big deal for us though, since the only thing we'll be doing at our resort is sleeping and swimming.

Upvote 0

BalooChicago

I don't understand the "don't complain because it's free" thoughts. Are the Monorails free? Friendship boats? If service was substandard on those should people just "suck it up"?

Upvote 0

vjgraham

Free doesn't always mean good. I can ________ in your hand for free, but chances are you're going to complain. Are we going to be grateful for free wi-fi in our resort, sure. Is it going to be worth it if it's so slow I'd be better off lugging an Apple II down there and launching via AOL, no.

It's not a big deal for us though, since the only thing we'll be doing at our resort is sleeping and swimming.

You are comparing apples to oranges, in comparison to previous years, I would rather have slower wifi than none at all. We have never stayed at value resorts but even they have the wifi now. In comparison, alot of offsite resorts that charge even more than the values at Disney still either do not offer wifi, or charge for it.

Upvote 0

vjgraham

You are comparing apples to oranges, in comparison to previous years, I would rather have slower wifi than none at all. We have never stayed at value resorts but even they have the wifi now. In comparison, alot of offsite resorts that charge even more than the values at Disney still either do not offer wifi, or charge for it. Your example is not valid at all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom