Disney Reservation Blunder

jcat2312

This is almost humorous. We booked our package 2 weeks ago and added a 3rd adult to our plan today. I did this by talking to a very nice reservation clerk. I just logged onto the Walt Disney Websit to check my itinerary. Taking a look at the flights, I noticed that there was 1 extra ticket for the same seat. We only have 4 people going, but there are 5 plane reservations, again 2 for the same seat....I think the extra is for my split personality..Lol...Tried to call Disney, but they close at 9:00. Has anyone else experienced problems booking with Disney directly?

se8472

it might be a porblem with the web site. From my understanding it has been having some changes done.

But on a side note, I like being on hold with disney :)

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Please keep in mind that the disneyworld.com web site is currently using a beta version of its reservation software. As a result, when a reservation is booked by phone, it does not always download correctly to the web site. Our software at the reservation center does not allow us to book more tickets then the number in your reservation party. My guess is that the web site duplicating a ticket (hence the same seat) and the correct number of tickets was booked by the reservation agent you spoke with. You can verify by calling the reservation center between 7 am and 10 pm Eastern Standard Time or check your printed confirmation you receive by mail. Not showing your correct package price and when using a discount offer is also a known problem with the website.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0
A similiar thing happened to me when I confirmed my reservation about a month ago. Turns out I had made the reservation on the internet and the rep had a slight problem finding it because it was an online reservation. Everything got cleared up quickly though. Glad it happened before the trip and not while I was standing at the check-in counter.

Upvote 0

Woody13

Never, ever rely upon the Disney onsite reservation system. It has never worked since day one! As JPVonDrake has pointed out, it is still in a Beta version (that doesn't work) so you would be best served using the telephone for all your reservation needs (including checking upon them). :wave:

Upvote 0

AEfx

1) Always work by telephone. I'll adjust this recomendation if they ever get the online stuff working and the deposits transferable (right now you have to get a refund and pay again in the meantime as they can't transfer online funds to a new ressie - PITA). Personally, I've never gotten it to work correctly even when I use Internet Exploiter - Mozilla/Firefox never seems to work with the site at all in the first place.

2) Next time, reconsider letting Disney buy your plane tickets - I bet you could do better on your own.

In any case, I hope you have a magical vacation, and the next one is easier to plan!

AEfx

Upvote 0

cj2me

I've never had a problem with booking online. I've been booking on line for as long as they have had it. And yes I have even booked air through them.

Upvote 0

daveemtdave

I personally like to hear what I have booked repeated back to me in case of error. We used AAA for our up-coming trip; but we have used The Disney reservations - unfortunately we were double charged from Disney Reservations and it did take a week to get it straighten up - which made a mess of our checking account - Now I take a payment in and get a recpt. each month - I like that better. I will not give my credit card number or bank number to anyone again.

Upvote 0

Woody13

cj2me said:
I've never had a problem with booking online. I've been booking on line for as long as they have had it. And yes I have even booked air through them.

The real problem with booking Disney rooms online is that you automatically narrow your choices. Disney often "sells" their rooms in blocks. Room blocks are reserved for travel agencies, AAA, Florida residents, AP holders and other special groups and/or special discounts. Disney reservations online only recognizes Florida resident and AP discounts. If you are eligible for other discounts, you must talk to the CRO. Remember too that some travel agencies offer substantial room discounts.

Also, don't forget that there are some great hotels on property that are not run by WDW. The Swan and Dolphin give teacher discounts as one example. Don't overlook the Downtown Disney Hotels. They often have great room discounts. For example, I was able to stay (with my wife) at the DTD Courtyard By Marriot (before it became the Holiday Inn) for 5 nights @ $20.04 per night! You couldn't book that deal online (I know because I tried). In order to get that deal you had to call the hotel. The Hilton at DTD sometimes has some great deals as does the DoubleTree Guest Suites.

I could go on with other examples, but I won't. Suffice it to say that the only way to get the best deals and the best rooms at the lowest prices is to call around. Sometimes travel agents can get you a super deal and it doesn't cost you a dime to find out and it can save you a lot of money off the rack rates.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

JPVonDrake said:
Hopefully the web based reservation system will be corrected soon.

I checked my res. online awhile back and it said that I had made payments of $2200 towards a $1700 room reservation when I still owed roughly $400. I called to see what was what and they had it right on their screen but couldnt figure out why it showed what it did online. I thought maybe they had credited the wrong account with a payment. I didnt want someone else to have to go thru some nightmare of thinking their res was paid for only to get there and have them say you owe X $$$. As of last weekend it still said that and I had called last Thursday again to make some requests and purchase my tickets and they still couldnt explain it so I would say the system has issues. It would be nice if they got it staightened out but as long as the end result is good, oh well. It pays to double/triple check. And like someone else said, being on hold with Disney is a good thing.

Upvote 0

puppymom

I actually called in to get rooms, park tickets and airlines, and when I got confirmation in the mail, it only listed airline. Called in, and for whatever reason, she neglected to book room or park tickets. Scared the beejesus out of me! Like I'm flying to Orlando to sit outside the front gates for a week!! They were very nice, got it all resolved, but yikes!!

Upvote 0

AEfx

cj2me said:

It's good to hear from people with positive experiences.

I think you'll find the problem isn't so much booking online (although the glitches in their system that show wrong deposits or don't show ressies at all are a definate issue if they hit you), but in changing ressies made online. If you just book your vacation, pay for it, and go, it does work sufficently.

However, when you try to change anything about a ressie, or even just add days, it can get very complicated. To do those things you have to contact Disney by phone, which complicates matters on it's own because they have a policy in place that says that deposits paid online may not be transfered to a new reservation. Almost all changes require a cancellation/rebooking, and if that happens they have to refund your original deposit (which can take weeks or months - plus, they "lost" mine once and I had to talk to WDW accounting myself to resolve it - another issue entirely) and in the meantime you have to make a new deposit.

If you make ressies over the phone, those funds can be moved around easily to new reservations, making the process far less complicated and much less potential to mess with your wallet if budget is an issue (if it's a large deposit, you may not have the immediate funds to cover a second one). This, coupled with the unreliability of the website, tends to make most of us steer toward phone reservations (even those of us that would rather book online but don't because of all these reasons).

As to the air tickets, it's just my humble opinion I offered above. In every single package I've ever looked at for WDW, I've found that I can get airfare cheaper booking seperately than by paying the difference between a room/air package and a room-only one. Disney also prefers certain carriers - no $98 round-trip JetBlue tickets from them.

It depends on a whole lot of factors, but in the end I think it's safe to say that you looking for a deal on your own is better than Disney looking for one on your behalf. I think that's why many of us book everything seperately to begin with. It just provides a great level of flexibility. You can cancel a room-only ressie within five days of arrival and get a full refund - I believe packages make you cancel 30 days out.

If you are looking for a one-stop deal and don't mind spending a premium for it, then packages are the way to go. However, even for those that do choose packages, I'd still recommend they use the phone - with the large deposits those ressie require you may not want to tie up that much cash if something does happen and you do change your trip.

Just some advice based on my experience working with CRO - your mileage may vary. ;)

AEfx

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

AEfx said:
...when you try to change anything about a [internet] ressie, or even just add days, it can get very complicated. To do those things you have to contact Disney by phone, which complicates matters on it's own because they have a policy in place that says that deposits paid online may not be transfered to a new reservation...

...If you make ressies over the phone, those funds can be moved around easily to new reservations...

AEfx

The reason for not being able to transfer funds is that when you book through Disney you are using one of 2 different companies (both wholy owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.)

Central Reservations (CRO) - books room only reservations (by phone only) and can sell park tickets. CRO is a reservation office for all 24 Disney Resorts. Your reservation will always have an 12 digit number and no letters.

Walt Disney Travel Company (WDTC) - books vacation packages that include your resort room and park tickets. Airfare, car rentals, vacation insurance, meal plans, and other options can be added. WDTC is a fully licenced travel agency and purchases room blocks from CRO to sell as packages. Your reservation will always be 8 digits and may contain letters and numbers or just numbers.

When you book on the internet you are booking through a subsidary of the WDTC. Due to legal reasons money paid by credit card to one company cannot be transferred to the other, instead your credit card must be refunded and a new deposit charged.

Advantages to WDTC Packages:

One stop shopping for all your travel needs
Deposit requirement is $200 regardless of your package total, balance is paid 45 days prior to arrival.
Change fee of $60 if made within 45 days of arrival
Cancellation penalty is $100 if cancelled 44 to 6 days prior to arrival.
Cancellation penalty is $200 if cancelled 5 or less days prior to arrival.
More fexible air pricing, payment and change policy, depending on flight.

Advantages to CRO Room-Only Reservations:

Best for those that only want a room and maybe park tickets.
Discount marketing offers often available to those who quailify.
Deposit requirement is 1 nights lodging plus full cost of tickets regardless of when booked. Balance due upon check-in.
Cancellation penalty of full first night's lodging if cancelled 5 or less days prior to arrival. Tickets are non-refundable once purchased.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

AEfx

Thanks again for the info, JPVonDrake.

I understood why the transfer of funds thing is the way it is, I just don't like having to do it that way so I book by phone now.

You hit all the reasons I don't like packages in your "advantages to WDTC" list - I guess as I said above it just depends on what you are looking for. The deposit is higher than I normally pay and I don't like being so "locked in" with so many penalties. With a room only ressie, you can cancel up to five days in advance and get everything back. Plus, the balance isn't due until you arrive - you don't have to pre-pay anything except the deposit (and as you point out, tickets).

At this time I don't get tickets for myself (AP holder) but am getting one for a friend who is going with me on my next trip - and she decided just to buy them at WDW. The savings on MYW tickets buying ahead of time is minimal - on a 7-day pass it's like $10-15 (plus you have to pay shipping online). Might as well just do it at check-in and not have to lay out the cash so soon.

With flights, I use JetBlue, which is about as convenient as you can get. You can change your flight up to an hour before departure for $20 online ($25 if you call by phone), which again, is about as flexible as you can get. The last big WDW trip I did I decided to stay an extra night and all it took was one five minute phone call.

I always check the package prices for trips I put together, but I find I can save 30-50% off the prices I'm quoted online plus have total flexibility and control over my trip. I may be in the minority - I'm sure some people love the convenience of typing in their wants once, being quoted a price, and having it all done in one click.

Me, half the fun is the journey - and the planning, hehe. :)

It's amazing the wide variety of people that love WDW.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom