News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Thelazer

It is not the density of the paper, it is the wet strength additive used to keep the straw from turning to mush. The chemical is derived from epichlorohydrine. Each straw should come with a California Prop 65 label.

Don't worry, only a matter of time before the first class action is filed in CA.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Don't worry, only a matter of time before the first class action is filed in CA.
Disneyland already has countless Prop 65 signs all over the property to offset lawsuit threat being a real issue. That doesn’t mean some entitled fool will not try to start up a lawsuit over this however. They’ve been started over less frivolous things in the past.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I was actually told "we aren't in California" when I requested to be moved from my job working in a paint booth (no respirators provided) when I found out I was pregnant. The MSDS even mentioned birth defects and still had to argue with the supervisors.

That's an OSHA and state issue, not a California like complaint.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is not the density of the paper, it is the wet strength additive used to keep the straw from turning to mush. The chemical is derived from epichlorohydrine. Each straw should come with a California Prop 65 label.
Do plastic straws have Prop 65 labels? There’s like a bazillion chemicals on the list so I assume at least one of them is present in straws.

Didn’t CA ban plastic straws at full service restaurants? So the plastic straws are banned and the paper straws are toxic. Our only choice is to drink soda through twizzlers. You know you’ve all done it ;):

DC69CAE5-5C4D-45D8-86A4-6778ACD2EFE5.gif

Texas84

Did not see any plastic straws over the weekend. Some places had paper, some had nothing. And no lids. However, I went to Sprinkles to pick up the limited time margarita cupcake and it had a tiny plastic straw. I am outraged.

John park hopper

Open question to those who have used the new paper straws Do they fall apart quickly? Do they give your drink a paper taste or any other off taste? Are they readily available in the parks? Final question should I bring my own plastic straws?

Last edited:

NormC

Open question to those who have used the new paper straws Do they fall apart quickly? Do they give your drink a paper taste or any other off taste? Are they readily available in the parks? Final question should I bring my own plastic straws?
They are fine and don't taste any different than the paper cup the beverage is in. They did not come apart in the short time it took to eat lunch and finish the drink.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One more to add to your questions, are the paper straws at the other parks the same ones available historically at DAK or are they a new brand?

In my experience the AK ones did not have a taste and didn’t fall apart quickly. They seemed to work fine for a quick service meal. I don’t think I ever carried a drink around for hours with one in it but I’m sure there’s a point where they will get soggy.

Goofyque'

There are those of us that remember if we ever got a straw in a restaurant, which was rare, it was always paper.

Now, I always drink with a straw. Ordered silicon ones online. I'm ok with that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom