News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

MickeyMinnieMom

Not sure if this was posted somewhere else but here are the bags from the new world of Disney store courtesy of the Disney Food Blog:
View attachment 323002
View attachment 323003
View attachment 323006
View attachment 323004
View attachment 323005

I'm fine with them offering this lovely OPTION at $1-$2 a pop.

But if they get rid of plastic bags in the parks our purchases will go way down. There's nothing that we buy there anymore that we feel like we "need". Also, many items are available through the app for delivery home (PSSSST DISNEY... this requires MORE disposable material than a plastic bag). And I've said it before -- guess where all the "reusable" bags start to show up when people build up a house full of them? Trash. One bag is cute -- but when there are 4 of us making purchases in the parks for 10 days, this becomes ridiculous. Other stores is one thing, but in the parks is something else IMO.

drizgirl

But if they get rid of plastic bags in the parks our purchases will go way down. There's nothing that we buy there anymore that we feel like we "need". Also, many items are available through the app for delivery home (PSSSST DISNEY... this requires MORE disposable material than a plastic bag). And I've said it before -- guess where all the "reusable" bags start to show up when people build up a house full of them? Trash. One bag is cute -- but when there are 4 of us making purchases in the parks for 10 days, this becomes ridiculous. Other stores is one thing, but in the parks is something else IMO.
Exactly that.

KDM31091

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence. Working retail I see that in general people definitely tend to waste plastic bags. You don't need a bag for a pack of gum. Or two bags for two small items. etc. So, I get the point of cutting down on it.

You can accumulate too many reusable bags because it's easy to forget to bring them along on future trips, but the idea isn't that you would accumulate several during one vacation - you would keep the same one and reuse it! It may be a hard habit to get into, but at least Disney is trying to reduce plastic waste here.

MickeyMinnieMom

You can accumulate too many reusable bags because it's easy to forget to bring them along on future trips, but the idea isn't that you would accumulate several during one vacation - you would keep the same one and reuse it! It may be a hard habit to get into, but at least Disney is trying to reduce plastic waste here.
Just too inconvenient in a theme park where we strive to go bagless and send purchases to the room. I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw a dip in theme park store purchases if they entirely remove plastic bags. They have to be thinking about that...

castlecake2.0

It’s a learning curve for everyone, at my current location we haven’t had plastic since May and it’s been pretty consistent through our tracking that only about half of Guests buy a reusable bag. The other half opt to carry the item out without one, have brought their own bag, put it in their backpack etc. Actually the last month or so there’s been a lot of guests brining their own bag and being proud of it making a comment like “look, we remembered!” And we always clap and make a big deal about it for them hahah. That’s what we’re trying to make happen, we have no direction to “push” the bag on people, it’s just there as an option if needed.

MickeyMinnieMom

It’s a learning curve for everyone, at my current location we haven’t had plastic since May and it’s been pretty consistent through our tracking that only about half of Guests buy a reusable bag. The other half opt to carry the item out without one, have brought their own bag, put it in their backpack etc. Actually the last month or so there’s been a lot of guests brining their own bag and being proud of it making a comment like “look, we remembered!” And we always clap and make a big deal about it for them hahah. That’s what we’re trying to make happen, we have no direction to “push” the bag on people, it’s just there as an option if needed.
What location? Not in parks, right? Totally different IMO.

AndyS2992

These bags seem to be specialized for World of Disney. I’m wondering how many different bags will be rolled out. Will it be park specific or go further like each ride gift shop or store gets their own specialized bags too. I’m not sure it will matter to most people but I could see these things becoming collectibles for fans.
World of Disney is kinda it’s own thing whereas the parks will just get a generic ‘Disney Parks’ or ‘WDW Resort’ design I’m guessing.

AndyS2992

Purchasing bags has been a thing here in Europe for years, sales have not dipped and people bring their own bags, carry the items or put them in their pockets, backpacks or whatever. Why do you need four bags? Either take bags from home so you are ready or buy one (or two if necessary) and just share them amongst you, you don’t need a bag each. Empty them out in your room and take the same bags back the next day. You will not end up with a house full if you do it properly, buy a few and constantly reuse them until they fall apart and then recycle them and replace them. It might take a while to get used to but it certainly isn’t difficult.

AndyS2992

Far too complicated...:rolleyes:
Sadly collapsible straws (at the moment) are notorious for being difficult to clean due to typically having gaskets.

The biggest issues is how we dispose of Plastic straws at parks.. In Tokyo Disneyland your expect to pour your left over liquid/ice into the ice bin, the plastic lid and straw into another bin, and finally the paper cup into the 3rd bin. However something tells me it's too complicated of a system to work here.. though it makes sense.
This is how McDonald’s trash cans work over here in the UK, it’s simple, if we can do it then I’d like to think Americans can too.

docdebbi

Had to come here specifically to post this..

A kid drinking out of a cup, no straw.. at an amusement park... and it didn’t spill, not even when walking.

So crazy, right?!?! ;)

View attachment 319275

yeah, that kid's not 2. and he's not sitting at a table reaching for his food, ketchup, his brother, and more likely to knock it over onto everyone's lap.
i'm not sure the right answer for straws, but this did not convince me that little kids are not going to knock over drinks at their table. happens to us EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL.

21stamps

yeah, that kid's not 2. and he's not sitting at a table reaching for his food, ketchup, his brother, and more likely to knock it over onto everyone's lap.
i'm not sure the right answer for straws, but this did not convince me that little kids are not going to knock over drinks at their table. happens to us EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL.

If a 2 year old is ordering fountain drinks, then there’s a problem much larger than not having a lid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom