News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

AEfx

I don't think anyone is having a coronary over your random thoughts. When you post them on a discussion board in a thread on a particular topic, though, there's always a danger that people may think you are trying to contribute something relating to that topic. Then they may respond.

Thanks for the advice. I've been on this board for about 15 years, though, so I seem to have managed okay.

My post was relevant to a topic that has been brought up in the discussion of this thread - waste at WDW. However, you (and others) assumed it was some "call to action" or value judgement, which is on you - not me.

Now, you really wanna keep this going? I don't. Since you are really distracting from the topic at this point. But if you are going to insist on continuing to make snarky comments even though I have fully explained my original one sentence post multiple times to you, again, the problem is you - not me.

AEfx

Again, the only "green" in play with Disney removing plastic straws is the green of $$$ they save by not purchasing and storing them. There's no environmental crusade being undertaken by them with this, it's all about optics.

This is pretty much universally the case with any corporate "green" initiative on this type of consumer level. Possible environmental impact is a side-effect of a cost-cutting measure, and used to market a reduction of product or service. That is usually the only way something like this is sold internally as a good idea.

I agree that in this specific case, it is mostly the optics - but also, since it looks like the West Coast parks may have to do this anyway, they are just also standardizing the practice as they are doing so often between the coasts these days.

DisAl

Unless I have missed it somewhere, the REAL question has been totally ignored:
How does the plastic, straws or anything else, get into the ocean?
The answer is obvious; GARBAGE IS BEING DUMPED IN THE OCEAN!
The real way to stop plastic getting into the oceans is not to eliminate 0.001 percent of the material (straws) but to put the CEOs of the companies or mayors of the cities who dump their garbage in the ocean in jail. :mad:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The answer is obvious; GARBAGE IS BEING DUMPED IN THE OCEAN!

Except you left out that entire eco system that ends in the ocean. All the ground runoff and dumping into open ground, creeks, rivers, storm water drains, etc that all end up downstream.. and eventually into open water.

Aiming at the end... misses everything that rolled downhill.

DisAl

Except you left out that entire eco system that ends in the ocean. All the ground runoff and dumping into open ground, creeks, rivers, storm water drains, etc that all end up downstream.. and eventually into open water.

Aiming at the end... misses everything that rolled downhill.
But Disney is not the culprit here. They recycle, compost, treat, and otherwise manage their waste. I doubt any plastic from WDW ends up in the ocean.
The great majority of waste in the oceans is either dumped there or comes from regions where the rivers are little better than sewers and trash dumps. Of course we do have our share of idiots who throw their trash out their car windows or boats. All you have to do is to volunteer for a "Renew Our Rivers" day or pick up litter along the road to be aware of that. But I don't recall seeing a lot of straws...

TrojanUSC

But Disney is not the culprit here. They recycle, compost, treat, and otherwise manage their waste. I doubt any plastic from WDW ends up in the ocean.
The great majority of waste in the oceans is either dumped there or comes from regions where the rivers are little better than sewers and trash dumps. Of course we do have our share of idiots who throw their trash out their car windows or boats. All you have to do is to volunteer for a "Renew Our Rivers" day or pick up litter along the road to be aware of that. But I don't recall seeing a lot of straws...

They’re probably saving hundreds of thousands of dollars on straw and lit costs every year. I’m sure they’re all too happy to make this change and the good environmental PR is just gravy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

99% of plastic waste that ends up in the ocean originates from non-US countries.

dizda

They’re probably saving hundreds of thousands of dollars on straw and lit costs every year. I’m sure they’re all too happy to make this change and the good environmental PR is just gravy.
This. Disney has been "aware" of plastics for years at DAK, but has only now decided to introduce this policy at the other parks. It strikes me as opportunistic cost cutting rather than environmental enlightenment. After all, there are earth friendly alternatives to plastic products but they cost more. Continue to make our guests' visit a little more convenient but spend a few more cents or eliminate a convenience and save money to use for stock buy backs? From the current Disney corporate perspective, the answer is obvious.

21stamps

This. Disney has been "aware" of plastics for years at DAK, but has only now decided to introduce this policy at the other parks. It strikes me as opportunistic cost cutting rather than environmental enlightenment. After all, there are earth friendly alternatives to plastic products but they cost more. Continue to make our guests' visit a little more convenient but spend a few more cents or eliminate a convenience and save money to use for stock buy backs? From the current Disney corporate perspective, the answer is obvious.
🤦‍♀️

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've got both stainless steel and silicon straw sets ready for next week.
wave.jpg

JennSmith

They weren't allowed at AK because of the animals..

castlecake2.0

I’m still in shock over the amount of people who apparently can’t drink a beverage without a straw.

Had no idea that this was an epidemic plaguing America. We might need more occupational therapists? 🤷‍♀️

The other day I went to Cosmic Rays for lunch and as I want to open the door I thought to myself “what is that sound? It almost sounds like the waves of the ocean coming crashing to the shore, how odd” and as I pulled open the door a giant tidal wave of Coca Cola came crashing over top of me, toddlers bobbing up in down in it, frantic parents treading water in the mixture of coke, diet, and sprite, trying to stay a float. People grabbing onto chairs and tables as flotation devices as the sea of fizzy drinks came flooding out into the the Tomorrowland concourse, lemon wedges and ice cubes floating along the top. I yelled to one passer by holding onto a BBQ sauce dispenser for dear life “what’s happened?!” And as he drifted away into the carbonated abyss he yelled back “everyone keeps spilling their drinks because they took away or lidsssssss”

This is what I picture everytime someone says that people are spilling drinks everywhere because no lid/straw. People have survived just fine at zoos/waterparks/concerts/multiple other venues, we will all be fine!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom