News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

s8film40

Because there is absolutely no evidence that introducing paper straws causes people to buy more plastic. The vast majority of people will just use the straws given to them and get on with their lives.
I wasn’t talking just about plastic, but I’m not going to change your mind and I’m not going to try. You’re welcome to believe whatever you want. I was just pointing out that this is a whole lot more dynamic there are a lot of factors. The truth is this has nothing to do with any real world environmental impacts. It’s PR, it’s the current fad, it’s a part of the show. In the end it’s a small thing it’s a nearly meaningless sacrifice for most people and that’s really why Disney is doing it, it’s an easy thing for them to do. Same reason everyone is jumping on this bandwagon.

LittleBuford

I wasn’t talking just about plastic, but I’m not going to change your mind and I’m not going to try. You’re welcome to believe whatever you want. I was just pointing out that this is a whole lot more dynamic there are a lot of factors. The truth is this has nothing to do with any real world environmental impacts. It’s PR, it’s the current fad, it’s a part of the show. In the end it’s a small thing it’s a nearly meaningless sacrifice for most people and that’s really why Disney is doing it, it’s an easy thing for them to do. Same reason everyone is jumping on this bandwagon.

Whether for show or not, and regardless of how much of a difference it will make, it’s still a change for the better. There is absolutely nothing to object to here.

ETA: There is no sacrifice involved. People will still get straws.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A yearly purge would probably work.

Eugenics might be nice too

There's always WOPR...
shapeimage_1.png

s8film40

So when this whole no straw thing is done I’d really like to see the next trend be to eliminate ice. It’s even less useful than straws. All soda fountains put out cold drinks adding ice doesn’t really do anything. The energy used to continuously freeze these massive amounts of ice for restaurants has got to be considerable and ultimately harmful to the environment with virtually no benefit. The machines are also one of the most often occurrences of health code violations in restaurants. I’m not really one to want to take something away from others, but it’s become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Ice in drinks is the assumed standard and I’m fine with that, but it’s so commonplace that when I order things without ice half the time they forget and put ice in out of habit. If we can do without plastic straws, we can easily make do without ice!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We can start with adopting instead of having our own kids. That would help quite a bit.
I love my biological daughter, of course, and don’t regret having her (duh). But if I knew what I know now after adopting, I would have never had my own biological child. I mean, honestly, what’s the difference?
One helps a child to have a better future who otherwise likely wouldn’t, compounding our social problems. And the other, what... half looks like you?
Again, how would that work? The governments of the world would mandate adoption instead of having your own children? Wouldn’t we run out of kids pretty fast? I’m not being argumentative, just curious how that plan would work for population control.

s8film40

I said the same thing about gasoline with lead in it...still waiting for this unleaded fad to be over;)
Haha, we’ll the “fad” aspect of this whole thing really isn’t going to last more than maybe a year. At some point places will either revert back to plastic straws or everyone will just accept it and no one will care anymore. At that point this whole thing will have lost it’s appeal which is the instant easy PR for companies adopting it. I’m just saying let’s embrace this, not having ice in a drink makes it much easier to just drink it straight out of the cup. I’ts why you rarely see someone using a straw with a bottled drink or drinking a beer with a straw.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Haha, we’ll the “fad” aspect of this whole thing really isn’t going to last more than maybe a year. At some point places will either revert back to plastic straws or everyone will just accept it and no one will care anymore. At that point this whole thing will have lost it’s appeal which is the instant easy PR for companies adopting it. I’m just saying let’s embrace this, not having ice in a drink makes it much easier to just drink it straight out of the cup. I’ts why you rarely see someone using a straw with a bottled drink or drinking a beer with a straw.
If they revert back to plastic straws in a year then you will be correct, it was a fad. If they don’t and it becomes acceptable then it wasn’t. Only time will tell.

On the ice movement, you’ve clearly never been to a Starbucks in the afternoon on a summer day. I personally can’t stand those ice coffee drinks but plenty of people can’t live without them and they don’t really work without ice;)

s8film40

If they revert back to plastic straws in a year then you will be correct, it was a fad. If they don’t and it becomes acceptable then it wasn’t. Only time will tell.

On the ice movement, you’ve clearly never been to a Starbucks in the afternoon on a summer day. I personally can’t stand those ice coffee drinks but plenty of people can’t live without them and they don’t really work without ice;)
It depends on how you’re defining the word fad. It generally refers more to the craze or enthusiasm surrounding something new rather than if it becomes commonplace at some point or not. In any case regardless of the outcome the newness of this will wear off and no one will really think about it.

As for Starbucks I assume you’re talking about the Frappuccinos. They have a cold version served in a bottle that’s much better than the ones they serve in stores with ice, they should just serve those instead. I’m more of a coffee drinker though so I generally stay away from Starbucks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It depends on how you’re defining the word fad. It generally refers more to the craze or enthusiasm surrounding something new rather than if it becomes commonplace at some point or not. In any case regardless of the outcome the newness of this will wear off and no one will really think about it.

As for Starbucks I assume you’re talking about the Frappuccinos. They have a cold version served in a bottle that’s much better than the ones they serve in stores with ice, they should just serve those instead. I’m more of a coffee drinker though so I generally stay away from Starbucks.
Yeah I don’t go to Starbucks a lot myself so I’m not sure what they are called but there’s always a line and especially in the summer tons of people with those clear plastic cups with the lid and plastic straw. IMHO if coffee doesn’t burn my mouth it’s not hot enough so no iced coffee for me.

I was thinking of a fad as something wildly popular that fades away, usually pretty fast. Like most things in fashion or toys like that fidget spinner thing. I do agree that nobody wil think about it either way in a year. I actually think most people won’t even think about it on day 1 besides maybe a passing comment.

LittleBuford

Such changes should become normalised—that’s what proves their success. By your definition, smoking bans and recycling itself were once both fads; now we just accept them as how things are and adjust our behaviour accordingly. If people soon forget they ever “needed” plastic straws, great!

LittleBuford

We have been running ou of landfill capacity for years. Miraculously, we never run out.

Landfills are built in cells based on need. Investing in construction prior to actual need if a waste of money.

If we can reduce, even fractionally, one kind of plastic waste, what exactly is the issue? Seriously, this thread is surreal. It's as if you're actually against the idea of slowing down the creation of landfills. Rest assured: there'll still be plenty to go in them even after WDW phases out plastic straws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom