disney quest

epcot71

Original Poster
i have heard a rumor;actually have seen this on a disney rumor websight that even though disney quest chicago closed disney regional entertainment has long term plans to build and expand
disney quest locations to total around 8-10.

has anyone heard of this????

i know that disney regional entertainment is expanding espn zones aggressively all of a sudden.:confused: :confused:

NowInc

Originally posted by epcot71
i have heard a rumor;actually have seen this on a disney rumor websight that even though disney quest chicago closed disney regional entertainment has long term plans to build and expand
disney quest locations to total around 8-10.

has anyone heard of this????

i know that disney regional entertainment is expanding espn zones aggressively all of a sudden.:confused: :confused:

If I'm not mistaken, I am pretty sure that Disney Quest Chicago closed due to not making enough money. Why would ANY company invest in expanding a closed amusment that wasn't making money when it was open???

I'll add this one to my pile of rumors labeled "Uhh....riiiight"

dopey

nowinc, i think you're right.

if i'm not mistaken, they originally wanted to build a dozen of these suckers in major u.s. cities.

chicago was the second (and first outside orlando). philly was supposed to be second, but i believe that fell through, too.

NowInc

Yeah...I guess Disney didnt factor in the fact that the "arcade" is dieing. I know DisneyQuest is more than an arcade...but so is gamewrks..and those are doing pretty bad down here..

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by dopey
nowinc, i think you're right.

if i'm not mistaken, they originally wanted to build a dozen of these suckers in major u.s. cities.

chicago was the second (and first outside orlando). philly was supposed to be second, but i believe that fell through, too.

Hey there Dopey, welcome back!

I also heard this from the people who are now trying to lease out the Vacant Disney Quest Building here in Chi....They were pushing CBS Radio and TV to sign a lease on it....but of course I dont think..well I know, CBS will not spend the money on it unless the Leasing Company gives them a huge price break.

NowInc

Originally posted by DMC-12

Hey there Dopey, welcome back!

I also heard this from the people who are now trying to lease out the Vacant Disney Quest Building here in Chi....They were pushing CBS Radio and TV to sign a lease on it....but of course I dont think..well I know, CBS will not spend the money on it unless the Leasing Company gives them a huge price break.

Well..just LOOK at the building! Inside and out its mickey! You'd have to spend a real large chunk of cash to overhaul the place...so its not very attractive for ANY company other than Disney to rent the property...

DMC-12

Originally posted by NowInc

Well..just LOOK at the building! Inside and out its mickey! You'd have to spend a real large chunk of cash to overhaul the place...so its not very attractive for ANY company other than Disney to rent the property...

NowInc,

Part of the contract and lease agreement would of been to Un-Mickey the building of course and bring it to a somewhat more normal apperance....LOL I dont think CBS wants to live in a big building with ears on it.:animwink:

NowInc

NowInc,

Part of the contract and lease agreement would of been to Un-Mickey the building of course and bring it to a somewhat more normal apperance....LOL I dont think CBS wants to live in a big building with ears on it.:animwink:

LoL!!! That'd be amusing. It would be sort of Visual Irony...that no matter WHO you are..Disney is over you...

dopey

it was a bad idea.

i don't know whether you're familiar with chicago, nowinc, but the dq was located downtown in an area where parking is either very hard to find or very expensive. public transportation is good. (i work a few blocks from the now-empty dq.)

but even if teens and 20-somethings could get there, it cost a bundle to stay. laughable, the disney folks also thought they could appeal to conventioneers -- even though there was an espn zone right next door (hmmmm. do i go where i'll be surrounded by a bunch of noisy kids or do i go where i can get drunk and watch sports on big screen tvs?).

dmc, that's too funny about cbs looking at the place. somehow, i think it would be fitting to have cbs in that space. if i were them, i wouldn't change the outside all that much either. just slap the big ol' cbs eye where the dq logo used to be and move in. heck, it would be a step up from the existing rat trap (hey! i made a funny!).

NowInc

Yeah...I heard it was in a really crappy location....but that aside..the only reason the one in Orlando does so well is its in Downtown Disney....everyone I talk to really isnt willing to spend that kind of cash on an hyped up arcade...the only places I could see the concept working are in orlando and in Anaheim...

rodkenrich

Originally posted by NowInc
Yeah...I heard it was in a really crappy location....but that aside..the only reason the one in Orlando does so well is its in Downtown Disney....everyone I talk to really isnt willing to spend that kind of cash on an hyped up arcade...the only places I could see the concept working are in orlando and in Anaheim...
.....And hopefully Disney wil keep the location in Lake Buena Vista going. I guess it would be safe to say that there are still some hardcore video gamers left on this planet (My stepson and I are examples).

VashtheStampede

I'm a hardcore gamer! And I know many people that are! Hardcore gamers are coming back in force!

I've been to disneyquest many times (Downtown Disney), but it just doesn't have the type of "gaming" enviroment I want. It's like a small theme park. If i'm there to game, I just want good fun games..... Disneyquest is passable but I wouldn't go out my way to go back after being there once. I couldn't believe they ever wanted to expand.....

NowInc

Originally posted by rodkenrich
.....And hopefully Disney wil keep the location in Lake Buena Vista going. I guess it would be safe to say that there are still some hardcore video gamers left on this planet (My stepson and I are examples).

I am sure the one in Orlando will be open for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. The overhead to keep it open is probobly close to nothing...and unless NO one goes...they will make even a little bit of money.

I am a hardcore gamer as well...but there arent enough of us to keep arcades open. Especially now thta the home consoles are just as good (to some people at least)..

DMC-12

Originally posted by dopey
it was a bad idea.

dmc, that's too funny about cbs looking at the place. somehow, i think it would be fitting to have cbs in that space. if i were them, i wouldn't change the outside all that much either. just slap the big ol' cbs eye where the dq logo used to be and move in. heck, it would be a step up from the existing rat trap (hey! i made a funny!).

Yeah Dopey it was in the sun-times a few weeks ago in the Buisness Briefs...I kinda chuckled when I read it...(nice funny...LOL)

DMC-12

Yeah Dopey it was in the sun-times a few weeks ago in the Buisness Briefs...I kinda chuckled when I read it...(nice funny...LOL)

Ok...just found the article / blurb in the suntimes:

"October 31, 2001

BY DAVID ROEDER CHICAGO SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST
and the link is :

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeder/cst-fin-col31.html

EYES ON CBS: Insiders said the John Buck Co. has been trying to woo CBS to move from its McClurg Court property to the old DisneyQuest building at 55 E. Ohio. But CBS apparently has no taste for Michigan Avenue-priced rents."

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by VashtheStampede
It's like a small theme park.

that's why it's advertised as "an Indoor, Interactive Theme Park"

they used to have a lot more variety in games when they first opened back in 98, but after Columbine, a lot of them were taken out. Then after 9/11, they had to take out even more games.

tmp

chicago was the second (and first outside orlando). philly was supposed to be second, but i believe that fell through, too. [/B][/QUOTE]

There was suppose to be one in Philadelphia, but it fell through on the city's side not on Disney's side. I forget exactly-something to do with the city wanting to build up the waterfront and wanting to put DQ in a different location. I do not think Disney was willing to stand alone. There was alot more to it, but very uninteresting stuff! It basically became dead when the Mayor Streer took over. Vote Rendell for Governor!!!

MrPromey

Originally posted by rodkenrich

Well, admission for it is included in some of the vacation packages (sort of like the way the water parks are included) which makes it a “free” place to go for those guests and it, of course, picks up guests who are willing to pay for admission, too. I don’t see why they would get rid of it either since the highest expense with something like that is the initial investment.

You have to consider the kinds of games they offer, too. None of them were really designed for repeat plays. Most were made very simple so that the average player could understand what they were doing the first time out and do decently well without necessarily having a whole lot of experience with gaming. As a result, there is a lot of fluff and I’m guessing that many people would get bored with a lot of these games rather quickly if they came back more than once or twice over the span of a year or less.

NowInc

Originally posted by MrPromey

Well, admission for it is included in some of the vacation packages (sort of like the way the water parks are included) which makes it a “free” place to go for those guests and it, of course, picks up guests who are willing to pay for admission, too. I don’t see why they would get rid of it either since the highest expense with something like that is the initial investment.

You have to consider the kinds of games they offer, too. None of them were really designed for repeat plays. Most were made very simple so that the average player could understand what they were doing the first time out and do decently well without necessarily having a whole lot of experience with gaming. As a result, there is a lot of fluff and I’m guessing that many people would get bored with a lot of these games rather quickly if they came back more than once or twice over the span of a year or less.

Dinsey Quest really went down hill when they removed a lot of the non-disney games. I mean...granted they overcharged for them in the first place..but now there is no real reason to go back there more than once a year. Yeah..the Pirates VR thng is cool...for about 10 minutes..it quickly loses its appeal once u realize that you just wated your money on a kids game...

I thikn they should try to keep em near the Disney Parks...thats the only place they would do any type of buisness..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom