Disney Quest to close in July 2017

EngineJoe

Take the blinders off pal, The ONLY reason I know about the gang affiliations was I wore my Celtics cap to my wife's school when I brought her something she needed and the resource officer asked me to remove my hat or leave the building. Asked why and officer said policy was because of gang affiliations being covertly advertised using athletic wear.

THAT's how I know has ZERO to do with racism and everything to do with a local government policy and I live in farm country where gangs supposedly don't exist.

Here's a Link from the NC Gang Investigators Associationon the subject.

www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

And another from the NY Post

http://nypost.com/2012/08/26/no-good-comes-from-gang-inspired-sports-apparel/

So if your local team wins the playoffs and your kid is sent home because of wearing something associated with a sports team this is WHY.

Interesting.

EngineJoe

So lets get back to the business side of things. ESPN (thats the Disney sports channel) is going to be losing its captive audience and their monthly dollars. Disney is already paying the NFL 1.9 billion a year for Monday Night Football and for 2016 the NBA 1.4 billion. In October they cut 300 ESPN employees just to maintain profitability.

Tell me why the NBA not coming to Disney Springs is a bad thing ? If ESPN wasn't part of a programming bundle its estimated that it would cost ~ $27 by itself to keep the same levels of coverage. You cant find one of the major cable providers that does not lump it in with the top tier packages so customers are forced to buy it.

Hope ESPN collapses. They are so cocky and overpromote the SEC in football and ACC in basketball.

wdwfan4ver

Hope ESPN collapses. They are so cocky and overpromote the SEC in football and ACC in basketball.
Espn's being so cocky already has hurt them by creating the Longhorn Network and is considered as big mistake.
The Longhorn network already lost 48 million dollars on it and the network never made a profit in its first 5 years of existence. ESPN was so sure about making money on the Texas Longhorns that they made a network that caters to them.

Proof of ESPN losing 48 million dollars on the Longhorn Network: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2015/12/28/longhorn-network-espns-big-money-loser.html

Last edited:
Anyways...

I really like the idea of DisneyQuest becoming a Broadway themed building. You know how in Vegas toy can see abbreviated versions of popular Broadway shows, well they could do the the same thing with the Disney shows. I bet it would be very popular. Since it would be an abbreviated show, it would be cheaper to put on and maintain, and the shorter running time would appeal to families and the average disney tourist who has a limited attention span.

doctornick

If ESPN collapses, there goes the stock price and to make up the revenue, they'll make cuts at WDW.

ESPN is not collapsing and I find it silly that people keep talking about ESPN like it is in peril. The "problem" with ESPN is that revenues are down, but that simply means instead of being massively profitable, it simply somewhat profitable. That segment isn't losing money for Disney.

Sports are still key programming for broadcasters. Many people want to watch sports like and are willing to pay for the ability to do so. ESPN has a ton of valuable live sports rights locked up. They are well positioned to transition to direct to consumer delivery because they have a lot of valuable content to market. Right now, cord cutting is indeed hurting ESPN (because they are starting from such a peak -- wide distribution, high rates) but it's going to kill off tons of other channels before the likes of ESPN.

That said, ESPN isn't going to be the massive segment for Disney the way it has been in recent years, so they will need to focus on their other divisions to pick up the slack. That IMHO probably bodes well for the parks, as they will find that investment and growth there is more necessary.

PhotoDave219

ESPN is not collapsing and I find it silly that people keep talking about ESPN like it is in peril. The "problem" with ESPN is that revenues are down, but that simply means instead of being massively profitable, it simply somewhat profitable. That segment isn't losing money for Disney.

Sports are still key programming for broadcasters. Many people want to watch sports like and are willing to pay for the ability to do so. ESPN has a ton of valuable live sports rights locked up. They are well positioned to transition to direct to consumer delivery because they have a lot of valuable content to market. Right now, cord cutting is indeed hurting ESPN (because they are starting from such a peak -- wide distribution, high rates) but it's going to kill off tons of other channels before the likes of ESPN.

That said, ESPN isn't going to be the massive segment for Disney the way it has been in recent years, so they will need to focus on their other divisions to pick up the slack. That IMHO probably bodes well for the parks, as they will find that investment and growth there is more necessary.

I find it doesnt bode well for the exact same reasons. One of us will be right LOL

jakeman

drew81

I would love to see an actual Broadway style theater on property. While the building may be large it would need several major modifications before any show or tour could have a run there. A fly space or fly area would be needed along with a grid that would be rated for rigging points. It would take a lot of work. I doubt Disney would do it.

ClassicMickeyFan

Make the building into a theater that can show Broadway shows and bring Disney Broadway to the West Side. I would love to take an evening and see one of the great production that Disney now has in New York and traveling the county.
Yes, I love this idea! Whenever we visit WDW we always spend the first night at DTD/DS. I would love to see a Disney Broadway show like "The Lion King" or Aladdin" that first night to get us in the Disney spirit before hitting the parks the next day.
Now that they own the rights to Star Wars, maybe they could also do something similar to Star Wars in Concert there, as well.

doctornick

Could they turn it into a Marvel attraction since it isn't in a theme park?

If it was truly an attraction, with rides or interactive experiences, then almost certainly not. They could probably put up a store with a M&G, but not enough to fill the DQ space. Could be a part of an overall attraction that featured other stuff, maybe, depending on the execution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom