Disney Quest to close in July 2017

UofMGuy423

Very disappointed, had a lot of good memories there in the late 90s early 2000s. Took the kids back there for the first time on our last trip in 2013 and glad we did. Though the place looked rough by Disney standards, it was still fund and the kids enjoyed it. The NBA replacement sounds dull and we will most likely never visit.

mergatroid

Mrs Merg loves the torpedo game in there (a bit of a war monger on the side I fear :eek:). We only go in though because it's 'free' with our Premium AP's which we only purchase for the water parks add on anyway.

Well, I am saddened by this news. While DisneyQuest could have definitely used some love, it was still a family favorite. We loved the Pirates game, the Jungle Cruise game, the Animation Academy and my girls loved Cyber Space Mountain. While I am not saying that it did not need to be improved upon, it was still a family favorite, a good place for a rainy day.

I especially loved getting to replay the video games of my youth. While I fully agree with the other post that say that it never lived up to its potential, I still really liked spending part of a day there

I would love to see many of the above items updated and placed into Imagination or Innovations, along with the Pinball game.

As for the coming NBA Experience, I doubt I would participate, as I am not a fan of pro basketball. I will most likely walk by, shrug, and say, hey that's where DisneyQuest use to be.

SNS

Does anyone know if Sid's Create a Toy is still around? I might buy some of those toys later this year as a souvenir to remember DisneyQuest.

CJR

Does anyone know if Premium Passholder prices will drop?

I'm curious about this as well. They could just add mini golf or something. However, without adding anything, it would be cheaper to get the standard annual pass and then get the separate water park pass, I believe. Not by much, but still... I don't know too many people who would care for Wide World of Sports or the golf courses enough to spend the extra dollars.

EDIT:
If I did the math right, a regular Florida AP + the water park AP is $595. The premium pass is $605 for FL residents. So, $10, still point is it's cheaper.

Last edited:

KDM31091

I'm not entirely surprised. The Disney Quest project in general I don't think ever did as well as they wanted. Remember they put one in Chicago that was closed, IIRC after a fairly short amount of time, and plans for the Philadelphia one were cancelled.

I think now, in 2015, arcades just aren't really "a thing" anymore. It's a shame and it makes me sad, but it's the way things have gone. I wouldn't be overly surprised if places like Dave and Buster's close down in the coming years, though the restaurant aspect may keep them going but who knows. Going out and playing video games just isn't needed anymore with the home technologies available, and I think kids just aren't as interested.

BrightImagine

Does anyone know if Sid's Create a Toy is still around? I might buy some of those toys later this year as a souvenir to remember DisneyQuest.

In a manner of speaking - last time we were there we couldn't get the touch screens to work.

I'm going to miss the booths where you create a Mad Libs-type song the most. We laughed ourselves silly over those songs.

rucifee

They maintained Quest as well as they maintain everything, which is why most of the simulators don't work the floors look like cats crapped on them and the paint is peeling. I'm glad it's finally gone, it is silly that it lasted this long in such pitiful condition.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not the size of your HD... but the motion of the ocean :) See: Minecraft

Live team play is something a fixed location like this can really excel at... but DQ... another chapter of strung out Disney stars...

KaliSplash

Well, sorry to see this. But not surprised. It was a good way to spend a few hours. We loved Pirates of the Carribean, always did Jungle Cruise once since we were there. Loved Alien Invasion and Mighty Ducks Pinball Slam. Usually did Astro Blaster once. Always did Space Mountain once upon arrival. My wife's first and only time to go upside down on a ride anywhere!

halltd

I went to DQ when it was brand spankin' new and loved it. The bumper cars, virtual Space Mountain, the entry elevators, jungle cruise, and the VR game were all so much fun. I went back a couple years ago when it was down pouring all of my trip and was saddened by the lack of upkeep and investment in upgrades to the place. It looked like it had gone backwards, not forward. I'll miss it, but for what it once was, not what it is now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's not the size of your HD... but the motion of the ocean :) See: Minecraft

Live team play is something a fixed location like this can really excel at... but DQ... another chapter of strung out Disney stars...
Quite true, but Minecraft is a one in a million shot. If you are going to do a game type that has been done over and over again for more then 2 decades, you have to bring something more to the table.

It is also worth noting that Minecraft with updated textures, shaders, etc is pretty nice.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Quite true, but Minecraft is a one in a million shot. If you are going to do a game type that has been done over and over again for more then 2 decades, you have to bring something more to the table.

Flappy Bird?
Candy Crush?
Angry birds? I was playing similar artillery games on mainframes back in the day...
and we can go on and on for the # of rehashed games on iOS or Wii that have been commercial juggernauts.

The common theme is.. make it fun and some element of addiction or lure to return.. and you can be as basic as Snake and still have millions buy-in. Details don't make something fun on their own.. just look at New Fantasyland ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Flappy Bird?
Candy Crush?
Angry birds? I was playing similar artillery games on mainframes back in the day...
and we can go on and on for the # of rehashed games on iOS or Wii that have been commercial juggernauts.

The common theme is.. make it fun and some element of addiction or lure to return.. and you can be as basic as Snake and still have millions buy-in. Details don't make something fun on their own.. just look at New Fantasyland ;)
Nostalgia and Phone games only get you so far. If you are going to have something like Disney Quest, you can't have your headlining games outdone by a retired Xbox 360. You just can't. It also does not help when half of your classic games don't work properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom