Disney pulls $15 million permit for Little Mermaid ride

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Walt Disney World has pulled a $15 million building permit to construct the Journey of the Little Mermaid, the Little Mermaid-themed dark ride at the center of the Magic Kingdom’s sweeping Fantasyland expansion.

The permit, which was issued by the Reedy Creek Improvement District in early March, covers design and construction work. Reedy Creek puts the value of the work covered by the permit at $15.4 million.

The district has also issued at least two other permits related to the Little Mermaid ride, one for a backstage employee sidewalk and another to relocate existing lighting.

Among other Fantasyland-related permits that District has issued so far are permits to disconnect mechanical, electrical and plumbing infrastructure at Ariel’s Grotto (which will become the site of a Beauty and the Beast-themed area); demolish the Scuttle’s Landing eatery; and remove a backstage maintenance shed in the area of the former 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction. The expanded Fantasyland is scheduled to open in phases beginning in 2012.

With the Fantasyland construction having begun in earnest, building activity at Reedy Creek is mushrooming. The district says it permitted projects with a combined construction value of $23.2 million in March 2010, up 192 percent from the same month last year.

Meanwhile, the number of building permits issued rose 24 percent in April and 4 percent in May. (Details on total number of permits issued for March and construction valuation for April or May weren’t immediately available.)

Other recent big-ticket permits issued by Reedy Creek include one to redo the Mexican cantina restaurant in Epcot (valued at $4.8 million), another to rehab the façade of the Expo Hall in the Magic Kingdom ($1.6 million) and another for an exterior remodeling at the Days of Christmas shop at Downtown Disney ($700,000).
http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/06/disney-pulls-15-million-permit-for-little-mermaid-ride/

RSoxNo1

Can anyone on here explain how much of the attractiosn budget would be wrapped up in this type of permit?

I assume $15.4 isn't the total cost of this attraction.

aladdin2007

Ok im really confused..WFTV channel 9 news also just said the permit was pulled for the ride, making it sound like the attraction has been canceled. So I dont understand!?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Ok im really confused..WFTV channel 9 news also just said the permit was pulled for the ride, making it sound like the attraction has been canceled. So I dont understand!?

They shouldn't have made it sound that way. From my understanding, "pulling" a permit is the same as requesting one for particular work to be done. It actually sounds like TDO is trying to stay ahead of the game and moving forward with FLE, a welcome change.

aladdin2007

Wow okay good to know, I didnt know the lingo that way. They sure made it sound otherwise and I think alot of people are going to be wondering like I was. That was irresponsible of them to make it sound like the project was canceled.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can anyone on here explain how much of the attractiosn budget would be wrapped up in this type of permit?

No not at all, and the permits don't really mean anything in terms of finding out the total for the attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

At best 15.4 million might be the price of the physical building and would not likely include any of the actual attraction.

MotherOfBirds

The animatronics shouldn't cost that much either. I've seen the ones for DCA and they are on about the same level as the animatronics in Winnie the Pooh or maybe IASW. Nothing particularly fantastic or budget-draining in comparison to, say, POtC :shrug:

TP2000

I've seen the ones for DCA and they are on about the same level as the animatronics in Winnie the Pooh or maybe IASW. Nothing particularly fantastic or budget-draining in comparison to, say, POtC :shrug:

Unless you are saying that you got a private tour of the Garner Holt factory in San Bernardino where they were made, or the WDI warehouse in Tujunga where they are being prepped for installation, you are referring to the new video of Little Mermaid animatronic testing in the Blue Sky Cellar preview center that's also available online. Mermaid animatronic footage from 3:20 to 3:40 in this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFwWYF-mas

What you've seen, and what we've all seen in that video, are the cast of dozens of sea creatures in the Under The Sea scene. They are the backup singers, if you will. It would be like judging Pirates of the Caribbean a year before it opened in 1967 by looking at skinless mockups of the donkey and the snorting pigs from the Burning City scene and deciding it wasn't going to be a very good ride and that Walt must have finally lost his touch. :lol:

aladdin2007

Im thinking its still going to be beautifully done ride even if short or not loaded with full blown animatronics. The undersea water effect alone will hopefully be really nice?

MotherOfBirds

Oh I have no doubt that it will be nice, there's no question about it. I"m just not anticipating the same amount of energy and detail being put into it as the classics, like HM.

Tom

Beta Return
At best 15.4 million might be the price of the physical building and would not likely include any of the actual attraction.

Exactly what I was thinking. We just finished building a 2-story medical office building in an open field with few restrictions and ample space to work. Total tab for the building shell (nothing on the inside except a lobby and empty space) was about $10 million.

The $15 million, if even legitimate, is only for the building and perhaps the exterior theming. AAs and show scenes will likely be produced by WDI and therefore will probably never appear in "permit" form.

This is obviously an "improvement" to existing infrastructure, so it would seem as though they are required to also file a "Notice of Commencement" with Orange County. However, as of today, nothing has been filed at with the recorder.

**EDIT: I just read the actual article and it says "issued in early March." On February 22 I posted 8 "permits" filed with Orange County for "Fantasyland Expansion: Phase 1". Since then, nothing has been filed for FLE and none of those notices referenced LM at all.

Captain Neo

I'm glad MK will have a good Little Mermaid attraction but its really disappointing that this will be the only new ride being added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom