News Disney power broker at the heart of Anaheim 'cabal' - Los Angeles Times

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's the article:

and a paywall bypass link.

An FBI affidavit made public last week identified an employee of an influential, unnamed company as being a key participant in a “cabal” steering Anaheim’s government.
The employee of the firm, called “Company A” in the affidavit that’s part of a federal public corruption probe, helped script a statement read by an elected official before the City Council voted on issuing bonds and provided input on whom to invite to a covert retreat for community powerbrokers.
Company A is Disneyland Resort, according to a person familiar with the investigation, and the employee is Disneyland Resort Director of External Affairs Carrie Nocella.

The company has long played a dominant role in Anaheim politics. Some current and former council members, local activists and a past mayor say Disneyland Resort has parlayed its influence into lucrative tax breaks at the expense of city residents and bankrolled friendly politicians with generous campaign donations. Disney has pushed back against such criticism, arguing that the resort provides the city with an important economic engine and is a job creator.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It remains to be seen if any wrongdoing convictions come outta this…

But the LA times doesn’t do a very good job of describing anything that you wouldn’t expect to be the Normal happenings.

Disney influences people for tax breaks and policy?

…nah…you don’t say?!! 🙄

Phroobar

Cabal was great game.

cabal.jpg

SplashJacket

"Some current and former council members, local activists and a past mayor say Disneyland Resort has parlayed its influence into lucrative tax breaks at the expense of city residents and bankrolled friendly politicians with generous campaign donations."

Isn't this what literally every company does? Doesn't make it right, but the system is broken, don't see why we should sit here surprised. I don't see how this is obvious, isn't this just what Disney has done for years along with hundreds of other mega corps.

Last edited:

DrAlice

"Some current and former council members, local activists and a past mayor say Disneyland Resort has parlayed its influence into lucrative tax breaks at the expense of city residents and bankrolled friendly politicians with generous campaign donations. Disney has pushed back against such criticism, arguing that the resort provides the city with an important economic engine and is a job creator. "

Both are true. Just as both are true for hundreds of corporations. This isn't the part of the story that is bothersome. It's all the other allegations that are disturbing (i.e. using city money to help get financing for a vacation home). But, "news gonna news" and "Disney Bad" is an easier to digest headline, I guess.

CaptinEO

"Some current and former council members, local activists and a past mayor say Disneyland Resort has parlayed its influence into lucrative tax breaks at the expense of city residents and bankrolled friendly politicians with generous campaign donations."

Isn't this what literally every company does? Doesn't make it right, but the system is broken, don't see why we should **** here and be surprised. I don't see how this is obvious, isn't this just what Disney has done for years along with hundreds of other mega corps.
I thought in terms of the City of Anaheim the only tax deal Disney ever got (which definitely was ridiculous), was getting the city to build the parking lot when DCA was built.

el_super

I thought in terms of the City of Anaheim the only tax deal Disney ever got (which definitely was ridiculous), was getting the city to build the parking lot when DCA was built.

Disney got a 40 year moratorium on enactment of a gate tax, so they could be convinced to spend the money to build Galaxy's Edge. A project they were absolutely going to build anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom