Disney plus Imagineering

britain

I find this part insulting as well especially since the other episodes talk about how the guest is who determimes what is successful. Yet they don't care about their guests? Especially their biggest supporters?

I was also amazed they had Lassetter in there. It's well known that many women in the company couldn't move up because of him. Why is he spotlighted in this show? Do him and Bob hang out on the weekend still?

I’m sure he would have been in it a lot more prior to the allegations coming to light. He’s a pretty significant chapter in the Imagineering story as far as Iger’s attempts to boost moral post-Pressler. It feels like Lasseter was removed as much as elegantly possible.

brb1006

I find this part insulting as well especially since the other episodes talk about how the guest is who determimes what is successful. Yet they don't care about their guests? Especially their biggest supporters?

I was also amazed they had Lassetter in there. It's well known that many women in the company couldn't move up because of him. Why is he spotlighted in this show? Do him and Bob hang out on the weekend still?
Probably because Lassetter had major involvement with Cars Land.

lazyboy97o

The last two episodes have enough misinformation without trying to erase Lasseter. Disney paid $7 billion for Pixar which at the time was largely seen as really being about getting Lasseter [back] into the company. His role was expanded after the acquisition including what was supposed to be a ceremonial title at Walt Disney Imagineering. He is the one who pushed to change Car Land to Cars Land and then ensured that it was protected when the Disney’s California Adventure project inevitably went over budget and had to be brought in back in line. His role was very much downplayed.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I've now heard in places beyond the Imagineering Story that people in Hong Kong legitimately didn't get that it was a roller coaster, so I can buy that they'd want something more transparent for Shanghai.

They're putting it in MK next to Space Mountain because they're lazy, it's easier to clone than to come up with their own designs, and they want the Instagram hits.
I've also heard there's a whole cultural thing in mainland China of being negatively viewed if you back down/skip something in public (hope I'm making sense). For example if you make to through the line of SM (in Shanghai if it were built), realize it's a coaster at the last moment, back down and exit, you may be heckled, etc. I'm not sure if this is true or not but this would also make some sense.

Tron shows it's a fast coaster before you even get in line so you know what to expect.

WDW'er here. I LOVE Tron. I really don't care for this coaster. It's too short to justify the 2 hour waits it'll bring.

lazyboy97o

The big problem with a lot of Disney’s Chinese cultural “adaptions,” especially in Hong Kong, is that they ultimately derive from a stereotype of idiot Chinese peasant farmers dazzled by the marvels of Western technology. Nobody visiting Disneyland for the first time can see that Space Mountain is a roller coaster. Hong Kong Disneyland was “right sized” so as not to overwhelm the Chinese who will be more happy taking pictures of gardens than experiencing attractions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom