News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

Magenta Panther

Okay, so here's the thing. The Santa meet and greet is for the kids, right? And every kid has seen tons of pictures of Santa, in which he's white. They see movies and TV programs, like the perennial hits Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman, in which Santa is white. They see kids' Christmas books in which Santa is white.

So what is your average kid going to think when he sees a black Santa? He's going to think: "That's not Santa."

Did I mention that Santa meet-and-greets are for the kids? Not the parents with their cultural hang-ups?

(Hey, Mom, feel free to delete this if it's problematic.)

bubbles1812

Okay, so here's the thing. The Santa meet and greet is for the kids, right? And every kid has seen tons of pictures of Santa, in which he's white. They see movies and TV programs, like the perennial hits Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman, in which Santa is white. They see kids' Christmas books in which Santa is white.

So what is your average kid going to think when he sees a black Santa? He's going to think: "That's not Santa."

Did I mention that Santa meet-and-greets are for the kids? Not the parents with their cultural hang-ups?

I feel like they could say the usual line… that’s “Santa’s Helper.” If Santa doesn’t look like ‘typical’ Santa and a child is upset, it can be explained that way. Cause heck, the real Santa is up in the North Pole making toys, and the real Santa can look like whatever the child wants him to look like.

Even Kevin McCallister understood that, after all. The only one who gets a pass is Buddy the Elf 🥸

Budd

The only one who gets a pass is Buddy the Elf 🥸
To be fair, that fake Santa was in fact a FAKE Santa. He smelled of beef and cheese, not the real Santa, nor any of his helpers. He sat upon a throne of lies and received the public shame he deserved.
111421a.jpg

111421b.jpg

The black Santa coming to Disney on the other hand, works for the real Santa Claus, just like any of the Santas, including the World Showcase international ones. The real Team Santa works in mysterious ways, and never smells of beef and cheese.

Chi84

Premium Member

The child's parent will explain that people look different and that skin color doesn't matter. Problem solved.

ohioguy

@ bdeari41...but why does Santa need to be a "him" at all? I see no reason why Santa can't be a "her" as well.

We are talking about a mythological character and not an actual person. It's therefore perfectly OK to change the character in any way we like to suit our needs.

Isn't this how ALL mythology works?
Since Santa is mythological, and can take whatever form he wants, as per legend, then I'm all for it.

Diamond Dot

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the colour of Santa at the meet and greet, just don't do what a seriously entitled couple did at a meet and greet with Santa and Mrs Claus in EPCOT some years ago. They genuinely spent 15 minutes (possibly more) trying to get that 'perfect' photo of their kiddoes with the Clauses, they didn't give a drat about the long line waiting for their turn. The CM did nothing, but, the look on Mrs Claus' face was priceless, she was desperate to tell them they had enough time and to move on.
So, get your photo and go, if junior is blubbing or not interested do an Elsa and let it go!

Cosmic Commando

@ bdeari41...but why does Santa need to be a "him" at all? I see no reason why Santa can't be a "her" as well.

We are talking about a mythological character and not an actual person. It's therefore perfectly OK to change the character in any way we like to suit our needs.

Isn't this how ALL mythology works?
Well now you're crossing a line! Disney would nev...

Archie123

It will be ok as most kids are not as ignorant as their parents are and will have no problem seeing a Santa that is a different color.

mm52200

Well, then they purposely leaked it for other platforms to publicize it for them.

That company knows how to do things the slickest and cheapest way but that's another discussion for another time.

The fact remains, any sane person does not care about this. If by chance there are people that do, which there is, that does not qualify them as being racist.
They literally didn’t, things naturally leak sometimes. There wasn’t word of it until the day that they were appearing at a cast event that cast members were allowed to take photos at and share. So he debuted before it even “leaked”.
But whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night I guess.

champdisney

They literally didn’t, things naturally leak sometimes. There wasn’t word of it until the day that they were appearing at a cast event that cast members were allowed to take photos at and share. So he debuted before it even “leaked”.
But whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night I guess.
Okay, I'm wrong. Still, how is it harmful to question some of these things? The way things have been, especially in the film industry, TWDC is at the frontline when it comes to leaking little snippets of information to get people talking.

To cause a little bit of controversy because, believe it or not... controversy sells. After all, there are pages in this thread alone with members going back and forth over racism.

Why do we care that Santa Claus at WDW is a black man? Most importantly, why must we try to lecture each other over the same issues time and time again?

I'm wrong and I'm happy that I am.

By the way, I sleep perfectly at night ever since I left my ego behind. God bless!

Magenta Panther

So the answers on my comment have gone pretty much as I expected - which amounts to grownups explaining their cultural hang-ups to kids. Explanations that will still leave the kids puzzled as to why Santa is suddenly a different color. Because kids crave continuity. They're trying to learn about the world, and the explanation regarding a suddenly black Santa is comparable to telling kids that 2 plus 2 equals five.

Ever read a story to a kid over and over again? (Because kids often demand that you do.) And if you have experienced this, what happens if you get a part wrong? The kid will often catch it and demand you correct it. (This even happened to J.R.R. Tolkien when he read his first drafts of "The Hobbit" to his children). But, but, but, WHY would a kid care if there's suddenly a difference? Because kids crave continuity. That's how they make sense of the world.

Tell you what, though...if you want a way to tell a kid Santa isn't real, tell them that the reason for a black Santa is that "people are different, and skin color doesn't matter". That applies to the general population, but Santa isn't the general population. He is an icon for children who expect him to look a certain way because of mass media. All THAT explanation will do is make the parent feel virtuous, and the kid confused. Try putting a different-colored nose on Rudolph. Get the picture?

And someone explain to me...why is it so bad that Santa is usually portrayed as being white? Is a white person supposed to feel disenfranchised because Tiana is black? Or Mulan is Chinese? Or Jasmine is Arabian?

Bottom line: the black Santa bit is just another example of wokeness overreach by Disney. THAT'S what's irritating about all this. A company that's overcharging in its theme parks while corner-cutting on attractions and even food is at the same time virtue-signaling, and that really really REALLY ticks me off. You talk about lack of continuity. How can a company be open-minded and tight-fisted at the same time? Iger is doing his best to make that so. Nuts to him.

BuddyThomas

So the answers on my comment have gone pretty much as I expected - which amounts to grownups explaining their cultural hang-ups to kids. Explanations that will still leave the kids puzzled as to why Santa is suddenly a different color. Because kids crave continuity. They're trying to learn about the world, and the explanation regarding a suddenly black Santa is comparable to telling kids that 2 plus 2 equals five.

Ever read a story to a kid over and over again? (Because kids often demand that you do.) And if you have experienced this, what happens if you get a part wrong? The kid will often catch it and demand you correct it. (This even happened to J.R.R. Tolkien when he read his first drafts of "The Hobbit" to his children). But, but, but, WHY would a kid care if there's suddenly a difference? Because kids crave continuity. That's how they make sense of the world.

Tell you what, though...if you want a way to tell a kid Santa isn't real, tell them that the reason for a black Santa is that "people are different, and skin color doesn't matter". That applies to the general population, but Santa isn't the general population. He is an icon for children who expect him to look a certain way because of mass media. All THAT explanation will do is make the parent feel virtuous, and the kid confused. Try putting a different-colored nose on Rudolph. Get the picture?

And someone explain to me...why is it so bad that Santa is usually portrayed as being white? Is a white person supposed to feel disenfranchised because Tiana is black? Or Mulan is Chinese? Or Jasmine is Arabian?

Bottom line: the black Santa bit is just another example of wokeness overreach by Disney. THAT'S what's irritating about all this. A company that's overcharging in its theme parks while corner-cutting on attractions and even food is at the same time virtue-signaling, and that really really REALLY ticks me off. You talk about lack of continuity. How can a company be open-minded and tight-fisted at the same time? Iger is doing his best to make that so. Nuts to him.
57EA1458-E9D1-4D1A-88A7-75E3F22809EF.jpeg

sbbr

"How will we explain this to the children?" was also a major argument people had when Disney made their rules for costuming/appearance gender neutral and allowed tattoos, etc.

The reality is that we ALL will have to explain things to our children that make us uncomfortable. That is part of being a parent. But I've found that when it comes down to it, kids don't really have a problem understanding change or differences. As adults we project our hang ups onto them and make things a BIG DEAL when they're not.

There are plenty of explanations you could give. "That's just a person pretending to be Santa. Isn't it fun?" "Santa has helpers all over the world, and this one has brown skin. Do you want to go talk to him?" "Santa is magic! He can go around the entire world in one night! Don't you think it would be easy for him to change how he looks?"

These are easy conversations to have with our kids. And if it makes black families feel happier and more included at the parks (and conversations with friends indicate that it means a lot to them), I'm happy to have those conversations.

Dear Prudence

"How will we explain this to the children?" was also a major argument people had when Disney made their rules for costuming/appearance gender neutral and allowed tattoos, etc.

The reality is that we ALL will have to explain things to our children that make us uncomfortable. That is part of being a parent. But I've found that when it comes down to it, kids don't really have a problem understanding change or differences. As adults we project our hang ups onto them and make things a BIG DEAL when they're not.

There are plenty of explanations you could give. "That's just a person pretending to be Santa. Isn't it fun?" "Santa has helpers all over the world, and this one has brown skin. Do you want to go talk to him?" "Santa is magic! He can go around the entire world in one night! Don't you think it would be easy for him to change how he looks?"

These are easy conversations to have with our kids. And if it makes black families feel happier and more included at the parks (and conversations with friends indicate that it means a lot to them), I'm happy to have those conversations.
Like if being slightly confused about Santa briefly is the hardest thing you have to explain to the kids, I think they're doing pretty good, to be perfectly honest

Vegas Disney Fan

Anyone else find it ironic they’ve got a traditional Santa figurine behind him?

I’m more bothered by the fact Disneys Santa doesn’t look like Santa… it looks like they grabbed one of the Santa hats they sell in the parks and a fake beard from the dollar store… if you’re going to do a black Santa do it right like the second picture.

Attachments

• 7E35651C-1876-428B-9C29-238BEEAA8F21.jpeg
    7E35651C-1876-428B-9C29-238BEEAA8F21.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 4EDA3B05-0BFD-4D5D-B77C-40B50062BC54.jpeg
    4EDA3B05-0BFD-4D5D-B77C-40B50062BC54.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom