News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
While I personally don’t care what color or nationality Santa is as long as kids aren’t confused or questioning if he’s real….my question to Disney is why do this now and not before?

Cliff

This really is a great inclusive sentiment with Santa.

In the future, Disney should continue the progression of this concept further. I believe Mickey Mouse could benefit from some skin color changes too. In fact, I can think of many Disney characters that could be visually more inclusive than they are today.

Im certain all good people would agree?

Cliff

I find it ironic that the people that say Santa can be portrayed by a black person would be the exact same people that cry "foul" on the idea that Black Panther can be played by a white person.

Why is one idea OK, but the other is bad? They are literally based in the exact same logic.

Answer?....because we are ALL hypocrites...every single last one of us.

Lilofan

While I personally don’t care what color or nationality Santa is as long as kids aren’t confused or questioning if he’s real….my question to Disney is why do this now and not before?
Off the top of my head, current times regarding race relations that has divided our country more than ever before in my memory, TWDC leading the way in developing ideas that go live to improve diversity and inclusion , capture more of a market share of people of color to spend money at and on Disney. I posted before former NFL QB Colin Kapernick addressing issues of people of color by making a stand , is now working with TWDC to develop offerings , ideas etc to attract more people of color to support and spend their $$ at TWDC.

Budd

Maybe it's just me, but the title Black Santa just seems a bit degrading. Wouldn't it be more respectful to refer to him as Santa Of Color or African NorthPolian?
Regardless, who cares what color he is? Children of all races need a Santa.
Santa is for everyone, and can be anyone. It's his spirit of giving which is universal.
Disney is doing a good thing, imo

bdearl41

Maybe it's just me, but the title Black Santa just seems a bit degrading. Wouldn't it be more respectful to refer to him as Santa Of Color or African NorthPolian?
Regardless, who cares what color he is? Children of all races need a Santa.
Santa is for everyone, and can be anyone. It's his spirit of giving which is universal.
Disney is doing a good thing, imo
What if…and just spitballing here…we simply called him Santa. Regardless of color. Then maybe this wouldn’t be an issue.

Cliff

@ bdeari41...but why does Santa need to be a "him" at all? I see no reason why Santa can't be a "her" as well.

We are talking about a mythological character and not an actual person. It's therefore perfectly OK to change the character in any way we like to suit our needs.

Isn't this how ALL mythology works?

Trauma

@ bdeari41...but why does Santa need to be a "him" at all? I see no reason why Santa can't be a "her" as well.

We are talking about a mythological character and not an actual person. It's therefore perfectly OK to change the character in any way we like to suit our needs.

Isn't this how ALL mythology works?
That would bring a whole new meaning to “I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus.”

castlecake2.0

I find it ironic that the people that say Santa can be portrayed by a black person would be the exact same people that cry "foul" on the idea that Black Panther can be played by a white person.

Why is one idea OK, but the other is bad? They are literally based in the exact same logic.

Open your eyes

donaldtoo

Ultimately, I don’t give a rip one way or the other about this, but…

“…culturally accurate, authentic,…”…?!

Lilofan

Yes! All! The world is not Black and White its in fantastic COLOR.
It is clear there are some that share two very different viewpoints. Some that support the coming of Black Santa to the parks and support TWDC as it improves its diversity and inclusion and some that do not. I credit outgoing Bob Iger who fully supports this diversity/ inclusion initiative of TWDC. Looking forward to having our picture taking w/ Black Santa!

Last edited:

LittleBuford

The significance of Black Panther derives from his being black. He stands out in a genre otherwise dominated by white superheroes. It’s even there in his name.

Your argument echoes those that question why we need Black History Month or ask why Straight Pride isn’t a thing. The answers are pretty self-evident.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom