News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

mergatroid

Well this has gone as well as can be expected on here I see :rolleyes:

A special shout out to the poster stating Disney had done a press release about it and were using this for their own benefit, despite the article saying no press release had been made. After having this pointed out by several posters it's was admirable watching them try to 'style it out' whilst failing completely and just digging a hole for themself. This place rarely disappoints :D

GimpYancIent

Why not go whole hog, go big or go home, have a Santa's from around the world show case. A truly diverse Santa / gift giver spectacular / parades / experience (revitalize EPCOT for the holidays). Think of it! CM's full costumed w appropriate regalia in a procession / parade each evening representing Santa's / gift givers from around the world. If diversity is truly desired Do Them All and stop being selective.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A special shout out to the poster stating Disney had done a press release about it and were using this for their own benefit, despite the article saying no press release had been made. After having this pointed out by several posters it's was admirable watching them try to 'style it out' whilst failing completely and just digging a hole for themself. This place rarely disappoints

I think its a case of terminology. Press Releases are passé. Most things are now "announced" through a Press/Media outlet, or on a company owned one such as social media . Most companies will leak things to a limited subset before making an "official announcement" on something. (Look how the resort parking fees were brought to life before the "official announcement".)

They leak things to gauge reaction, potential pushback, acceptance or general feedback. So if they do decide on an official announcement (which they may or may not do) they can craft it to address concerns and also prepare their media liaisons for the expected reactions and how to address questions, complaints, compliments.

The fact that this information was picked up on several Disney forum sites - I'm guessing it was leaked to one or a slight few, and then picked up by the others. Which when you think about it - where is the best place to obtain feedback? - On a Disney forum.

Disney is not inexperienced at doing this. There is coordination in everything they do. We can debate on the level of coordination and the effectiveness of. But I'm betting there was some coordination on this.

castlecake2.0

Why not go whole hog, go big or go home, have a Santa's from around the world show case. A truly diverse Santa / gift giver spectacular / parades / experience (revitalize EPCOT for the holidays). Think of it! CM's full costumed w appropriate regalia in a procession / parade each evening representing Santa's / gift givers from around the world. If diversity is truly desired Do Them All and stop being selective.
That’s not the point

jasminethecat

This isn't a supposed to be a black man dressed as Santa. He's supposed to BE Santa. Santa is a fictional character who happens to be white. This would be like having Mickey Rat instead of Mickey Mouse.

This isn't "inclusion" it is pandering. Would we celebrate a white actor dressed up as the Black Panther? I don't think so and I'd be just as against that.
With all due respect, you’re not very good at analogies. Black Panther at his core is a black character from Africa. It’s the standard “fragile white ego” reference point and it’s a tired comparison. I bet you’re fine with Jesus being portrayed as white even though there is no chance he’d look like obi-wan’s ewan mcgregor.

Santa is based off of Saint Nicholas who also had a darker skinned appearance. Keep in mind that he’s a magic guy who delivers presents to every household in the world in one night. If we’re fine with Tim Allen being Santa than a black man can also portray him. Neither representations are accurate to the original.

Referring to another post, are you ok with Mickey dressing up as Santa? One fictional character dressing up as another without regard to species much less race?

Nubs70

While we're making sure all versions of Santa are represented, we should also be demanding Krampus be added to the Germany pavilion...

This would be great. It would serve to educate on the different versions of "Santa" found throughout the world. Kind of like one of the original purposes of EPCOT

castlecake2.0

This would be great. It would serve to educate on the different versions of "Santa" found throughout the world. Kind of like one of the original purposes of EPCOT
They already have different versions of Santa in UK, France, Norway, and America telling their stories. The issue is they’ve always been portrayed as a white man. That’s not to say santa can’t be white, but it shouldn’t be the only option.

GimpYancIent

They already have different versions of Santa in UK, France, Norway, and America telling their stories. The issue is they’ve always been portrayed as a white man. That’s not to say santa can’t be white, but it shouldn’t be the only option.
No. All depictions of Santa's over the years are not always as a white man.

Oddysey

How did Santa Claus get to be so divisive

Honestly, I have not seen too many in this thread really having an issue with this. The high volume in the thread would suggest it is a hot button issue. However, I think many of us clicked just to see if it would be divisive. Hence, the popcorn post at the very beginning of the thread.

My general feel by reading is that most are ok with adding a black Santa. Although it is possible that my glasses have a bit to much of a rose colored tent or that I am missing something because I have not read past page 16.

LittleBuford

Honestly, I have not seen too many in this thread really having an issue with this. The high volume in the thread would suggest it is a hot button issue. However, I think many of us clicked just to see if it would be divisive. Hence, the popcorn post at the very beginning of the thread.

My general feel by reading is that most are ok with adding a black Santa. Although it is possible that my glasses have a bit to much of a rose colored tent or that I am missing something because I have not read past page 16.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the general tenour of this thread. It could have gone much, much worse.

UNCgolf

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the general tenour of this thread. It could have gone much, much worse.

I think the fact that it's Santa Claus helps. He's been depicted in multiple other ways already, even if the jolly old rotund bearded white guy has been the default, and he's not a Disney character associated with one specific depiction.

I think there'd be more uproar over doing this in other areas, unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom