News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

LittleBuford

Its all interesting to learn. Also I learned that where Iran is was called Persia.
Indeed. Iran is simply the native name for what used to be known in the West as Persia (after the region of Fars/Pars, which is part of Iran). The language of Iran is still known as Persian (Farsi means the same thing).

And to bring this back to Disney, a Persian Resort was at one time planned for WDW (before the revolution, of course):

DisneyPersian.jpg

celluloid

Oh you mean the one by the flagging retailer that also has a deal with the amusement park up the highway?
Yeah! It was easy for you to know because those businesses still put on that level of entertainment when things go flagging. Unlike Disney.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Because when a child sees 2 different people that are both supposed to be the real Santa and they look wildly different, how is that possibly a sufficient response?
Because children usually are fine with simple explanations.

Okay so maybe I have kids and grandbabies that are strange black kids because They couldn't have given a flying reindeer red nose about what color the man in the hat was, all they cared about was who was bringing them the loot.

correcaminos

Because children usually are fine with simple explanations.

Okay so maybe I have kids and grandbabies that are strange black kids because They couldn't have given a flying reindeer red nose about what color the man in the hat was, all they cared about was who was bringing them the loot.
I must have a strange one too - mine didn't really notice when they didn't look the same (and some of ours were noticeably different). He actually, on his own when starting to put 2 and 2 together on Santa, reasoned in his brain that they were Santa's helpers and told me as much. That's when I knew he figured it out, but we actually don't do Santa all that much in our house anyway. They really don't care enough when things are different as their minds really go for what's important - and in this case presents!!!!!!

LittleBuford

There's not much indication that anyone actually cared about skin color back then, though, or really at any time up until the 17th or possibly 18th century. There's at least some reason to believe it was looked at more like hair color is now; basically a superficial difference between people.
I’m afraid this isn’t true, though you’re right that modern constructs of race and ethnicity differ from (and are in many ways more rigid than) those of the past.

GimpYancIent

The gift giver during Christmas, Santa Clause in the U.S., appears globally in many different shapes, forms with some very different such as the Reyes Magos (Three Kings).
1636600076852.png

Disney having a non-white Santa appear is not earth shattering, trend setting, historic or anything. Christmas is about a whole lot more than Santa. Besides its been done many times already. Also, the littles are happy to get their gifts Santa is just another delivery person.

celluloid

The gift giver during Christmas, Santa Clause in the U.S., appears globally in many different shapes, forms with some very different such as the Reyes Magos (Three Kings).
View attachment 599949
Disney having a non-white Santa appear is not earth shattering, trend setting, historic or anything. Christmas is about a whole lot more than Santa. Besides its been done many times already. Also, the littles are happy to get their gifts Santa is just another delivery person.

Good point. You mean Disney should not brag about planning this, fans should not clamor for it and all exclaim "this is about the children?" as we have proven and well know, children do not care.

I think BasiltheBatLord has the best post in the entire thread.

Oddysey

If believing that the Santa they saw down the street at the mall was the “real Santa” and matched the others they saw around that season was an area of continuity concern, you could always just instill the fact that not all “Santa’s” in public are the real Santa. After all, he’s much too busy getting actual presents ready for Christmas Day, he can’t be attending every mall or theme park gathering. That’s what his friends are for, to help bring in the magic and the symbol of the holiday season while he’s busy at work up in the North Pole.

This is the most likely route I would have taken and she would have accepted this as a reasonable answer. Santa is extra busy this year and needs a helper.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I used to believe in Santa (or Father Christmas, as he's traditionally called in the UK) when I was a child, yet my parents never pretended that any of my presents was from him. I'm not sure why I had so much faith in him given that he never came through with the goods!

Truth be told, I probably would have found it jarring as a child to see a black Santa, having only ever been exposed to white portrayals. I don't agree with what some here have said about children being colourblind (societal constructs of race are too ubiquitous for that to be possible). Still, I don't think it's a bad thing for children (or indeed adults) to work though whatever surprise they may feel upon seeing an unfamiliar representation of Santa; on the contrary, I think it's a great learning opportunity, and one I wish I'd had as a child myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Prudence

I used to believe in Santa (or Father Christmas, as he's traditionally called in the UK) when I was a child, yet my parents never pretended that any of my presents was from him. I'm not sure why I had so much faith in him given that he never came through with the goods!

Truth be told, I probably would have found it jarring as a child to see a black Santa, having only ever been exposed to white portrayals. I don't agree with what some here have said about children being colourblind (societal constructs of race are too ubiquitous for that to be possible). Still, I don't think it's a bad thing for children (or indeed adults) to work though whatever surprise they may feel upon seeing an unfamiliar representation of Santa; on the contrary, I think it's a great learning opportunity, and one I wish I'd had as a child myself.
I mentioned in a comment a few pages back, we had a pretty consistent diverse parade of Santa's here (Mexican, Black, White, Tongan) and I never thought about it, to be honest (although none of them brought me a dog, so there is that! 😡), but reading this thread made me realize that some kids/ adults have ONLY ever experienced a white Santa!

celluloid

If Disney wants to be different (change up Santa) and stir things up. Go with the Three Wise Men aka The Three Kings translation Los Reyes Magos. Now there was diversity before diversity was a term.
View attachment 599952
Sea World and Busch Gardens has had The Three Kings Celebration for years right after the holiday/new Years part of the season, which is pretty cool.

Side note, if anyone wants to add a fun conversation piece to your nativity, put The Three Wise men towards the side of the house or yard area to give it some scale as if they are on there way, as they were not present for the birth but starting their journey. Most records point to Jesus likely being around two years old when The they arrived.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom