Disney plans to build a massive dynamic art installation on International Drive

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Apparently this is a marketing scheme designed to remind locals that there is a 50th "celebration" happening at WDW. There was more thought put into this than most of what was approved for the parks themselves. But neither suggests the company has the slightest clue what they hell they are doing with the 50th. The disconnect between what was and what is with this company right now could be seen as an almost-insurmountable chasm. And the name "BOB" is etched in the middle.

MrPromey

Kind of sums up WDW right now
Drove by it last night on I-4 and two things struck me.

The first is, I almost missed it completely (lit up at night and semi-anticipating it - though not directly looking for it) and the second was, how much further down I-4 it appears from the Universal area and seems to mostly only be visible for people heading west on I-4. The people most likely to see it are already headed in the direction of Disney from where their strongest compeptition is and people coming the other way (like from the airport to the convention center, Universal and other spots like that) are more likely to miss it.

... So who is this even really for?

techgeek

Apparently this is a marketing scheme designed to remind locals that there is a 50th "celebration" happening at WDW. There was more thought put into this than most of what was approved for the parks themselves. But neither suggests the company has the slightest clue what they hell they are doing with the 50th.

Knowing Disney, I'm sure there was countless creative meetings and every pixel of content was carefully considered at considerable time and expense... which doesn't change the fact that it looks like someone simply opened up the "50th anniversary creative assets clipart" folder and threw this together in After Effects one afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how frequently this is updated, and if it remains a rework of whatever advertising creative is currently being pushed or if it has some actual original content. My bet is not a thing changes until after the 50th, and then it just continues to parrot whatever the 'celebration of the year' is in the same style with minimal updates.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
870CCE3D-1D1A-481D-9795-A9F623A94F91.jpeg

I’m here....

I see it...

...it’s a billboard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It wouldn’t me off so much if they didn’t hype it up with the whole “It all started with an idea!” speech. 😑 It’s not even interesting or cool.

They could have at least made it like those awesome corner billboards you see in big cities where it looks 3D.

celluloid

I’d be more interested in that Checkers - gimme a large fry!
That checkers is a lot slower than the service speed typical in the other locations but it was my closest one for a long time.

Pro tip, get the app for the free Big Bufford or large Fry for signing up.
Also, I always loved the world's.largets.checkers joke since it was across the street from the world's largest macdonald's. You can go inside for some seating room and a crappy set of arcade games was the selling point.

It is a "rough" area to brand some Disney with a store in.

Epcot82Guy

I got to see it in person yesterday (driving by it on I4 during the day then again at night coming across Sand Lake). It is surprisingly underwhelming in person. Thinking of some of the signage in Vegas and the like, I'm surprised they didn't find a better location that would have allowed for more movement (noting driver safety is indeed important). It does feel more like a kind of unique/weird billboard in person vs. something more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom