Disney Plans Sequels to Pixar Films

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
Disney plans sequels to Pixar films
Walt Disney Co. plans to produce sequels to hit movies made by Pixar Animation Studios Inc., even though the Emeryville company has characterized Disney's earlier work in this area as "embarrassing."

Disney outlined its plans during a two-day meeting with investors and Wall Street analysts at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. In a presentation, Walt Disney Studios Chairman D ick Cook said the company will evaluate the library of Pixar films, including the "Toy Story" movies as well as "A Bug's Life," Monsters Inc." and " Finding Nemo," all of which were enormous box-office successes.

First up will be a third theatrical sequel to "Toy Story." Cook did not disclose plans for the others, although he did not rule out producing direct-to-video sequels. These are typically more profitable but considered lower-quality compared theatrical releases.

"We will nurture and grow these franchises with new stories," Cook said in his presentation.

This move is unlikely to please the folks at Pixar, which still has two more films to complete under its current distribution deal with Disney. Pixar announced on Jan. 29 that it broke of talks with Disney for a new deal after being unable to come to agreement on terms for ownership and profit-sharing for future films.

In an earnings call the following week, Pixar CEO Steve Jobs said it offered Disney a deal less valuable than it could have received from other Hollywood studios, but the company refused. Pixar also said it ruled out doing a "Toy Story 3" - under the companies' current arrangement, sequels to movies covered in the deal do not count towards Pixar fulfilling its end of the deal.

"We have not said no to anything else yet, and we will be discussing that amongst ourselves and with Disney over the next several months," Jobs said during the call. "And we feel sick about Disney doing sequels because if you look at the quality of their sequels, like the Lion King 1.5 and their Peter Pan sequels and stuff, it's pretty embarrassing."

For its part, Cook said Disney refused Pixar's offer because such a deal would not have been good for Disney shareholders. He added that Pixar's offer "didn't recognize the value we brought to the partnership."

© 2004 American City Business Journals Inc.

GaryT977

This is really, really obnoxious. Has it come to this? Is Disney so creatively bankrupt that they can't come up with any original animation ideas? Must everything be crappy sequels?

I've been quiet about Eisner up to this point, but that idiot has go to go.

MouseMadness

If the sequels can match the quality of "Toy Story 2" then hurrah! Sadly, I think we know they won't. Straight to video movies = :hurl:

JBSLJames

Originally posted by GaryT977
I've been quiet about Eisner up to this point, but that idiot has go to go.

Another Eisner Bashing thread. . . SWEET. Let me get my bat and some vasoline. This is going to be fun :rolleyes:

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by JBSLJames
Another Eisner Bashing thread. . . SWEET. Let me get my bat and some vasoline. This is going to be fun :rolleyes:

hm that really paints a nasty picture
eww

anyways
what in the world could a third toy story POSSIBLY be about...
Woody and Bo Peep and Buz and Jessie all have babies?? Ummm and andy loses the babies at school where sid tries to blow them up...
i dunno about that!

GaryT977

Originally posted by MouseMadness
If the sequels can match the quality of "Toy Story 2" then hurrah!

Since Pixar isn't doing it, it won't be the same. It may not even be CG (I'm think of animated Buzz Lightyear crap).

GaryT977

Originally posted by JBSLJames

Yeah, you've got a good point. That's one of the reasons I haven't said anything to this point. I guess it's just gotten too hard to ignore.

Now, put the bat and vaseline away before you do yourself a mischief. :animwink:

JBSLJames

Now, put the bat and vaseline away before you do yourself a mischief. :animwink:

Aww man, just 5 more minutes.

Seriously. With the originality of most of the Disney Movies and the improvements in 3-D animation, I think it could work. The key would be getting the original voice actors.

theonlytigger

This is really, really obnoxious.
That just about sums up my view on this. Why can't Disney let great classics like Toy Story and Nemo alone and let them be their own original films?

JBSLJames

Originally posted by theonlytigger
That just about sums up my view on this. Why can't Disney let great classics like Toy Story and Nemo alone and let them be their own original films?

Probably for the same reason regular movies don't (Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare, Rocky, Die Hard, Batman, Spiderman, Austin Powers, Fletch, etc.). The fan base is already built in.

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
Originally posted by AliciaLuvzDizne

anyways
what in the world could a third toy story POSSIBLY be about...
Woody and Bo Peep and Buz and Jessie all have babies?? Ummm and andy loses the babies at school where sid tries to blow them up...
I don't think that's scientifically possible, Alicia :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom