Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What are the odds ? Chapek last I heard was looking into ESPN getting into the betting game.
Which highlights the problem in a nutshell with the last two decades of Disney leadership.

Throwing excrement against the wall and hoping it makes corporate synergy is not a good way to sustainably grow.

Makes me yearn for the Eisner and Wells years.

kingdead

Unfortunately this is what makes chapek the perfect instrument - in the streets eye - for now.

People chirped when they extended him…but it makes perfect sense. For him too. He’s the perfect hatchet man. And he gets rich quick in his 60’s

This arrangement is so easy…like fishing with dynamite.
Disney fans have a parasocial relationship with the CEO so all they have to do is have Chapek swing away, then whoever replaces him will be an actual Disney hero... vanquishing the evil and all that. Then they can reverse a few of Chapek's changes and bam! Instant popularity. Chapek meanwhile will go to his "doom" (millions of dollars in retirement money).

Lilofan

Which highlights the problem in a nutshell with the last two decades of Disney leadership.

Throwing excrement against the wall and hoping it makes corporate synergy is not a good way to sustainably grow.

Makes me yearn for the Eisner and Wells years.
Synergy is also code name for layoffs, closing / combining of groups etc

binks2022

I challenge Bob "paycheck" and his committee to research and give Simon Sineck masterful company leadership strategies a serious look. Rather than continue to use 80's slash old style corporate actions to make a buck. Endeavor to learn and be great. That's what Disney is about. Rather than the vanilla Corp bs he's installing now.

Disone

Thats how memos work.

There are other areas that won't see cuts and they also got the memo. Doesn't mean anything.
I salute your optimism and hope it plays out just as you say.

After seeing red I have thought about this.more.... I think you're right.

Having said that I still suspect it may impact Walt Disney World though not in a traditional layoff. I suspect certain salaried positions will be eliminated and the headcount from those eliminated positions will be used to fill salaried headcount they're still struggling to fill.

EPCOT-O.G.

What are the odds ? Chapek last I heard was looking into ESPN getting into the betting game.
They’re going to be the last to the table on this. Like building D+ from scratch rather than acquiring Netflix when it would’ve been far far cheaper to do so.

Kamikaze

I salute your optimism and hope it plays out just as you say.

After seeing red I have thought about this.more.... I think you're right.

Having said that I still suspect it may impact Walt Disney World though not in a traditional layoff. I suspect certain salaried positions will be eliminated and the headcount from those eliminated positions will be used to fill salaried headcount they're still struggling to fill.
I'm not guessing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney fans have a parasocial relationship with the CEO so all they have to do is have Chapek swing away, then whoever replaces him will be an actual Disney hero... vanquishing the evil and all that. Then they can reverse a few of Chapek's changes and bam! Instant popularity. Chapek meanwhile will go to his "doom" (millions of dollars in retirement money).
That is exactly what the tea leaves say…

Hell…not even that subtle…it’s a flashing neon sign 100 feet above the 405

Laketravis

Original Poster
I’m gleaming from his “Leaked” Memo:
“In the immediate term, business travel should now be limited to essential trips only”

Yes, I posted excerpts about that earlier. That's not "Frozen" - that's a suggestion that travel be limited.

Last edited:

bcoachable

Yes, I posted about that earlier. That's not "Frozen" - that's a suggestion that travel be limited.
you are EXACTLY right… it is not frozen… my poor choice of sarcastic stretching of the truth from the leaked memo-
I just was just (trying to) voice my frustration with the (two weeks prior) choices of the WDW throne dwellers. To have them all converge at the Beach Club (or wherever) to discuss the upcoming cuts, then mention in the forthcoming memo that all meetings from now on should be done via zoom - seems a bit insincere and insensitive to me…

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
….ohhhh…you angry today 😱
Halloween Whip GIF by Yandy.com

You know you love it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have a lot of pages to catch up on, but my thoughts as they stand.

Chapek is and has always been in over his head. D'Amaro is in over his head where he is. Everything they are doing is reactive instead of proactive. They need to restore what was, not cut further to reduce the experience - squeezing harder will not result in increased profits. This further exemplifies the fact that neither have any understanding of what made the theme parks special in the first place.

TWDC has always needed someone with vision running the company, either alone or in tandem with a numbers person. Eisner/Wells was that last tandem. Eisner still cared about the parks and had some kind of vision about them, despite his (many) missteps post-1994. Iger was an empty suit whose "vision" was offering up advice like, "More trees". Chapek is a crap peddler, nothing more, nothing less. On top of that, he and the CFO openly say things that are quite possibly some of the dumbest things ever uttered by anyone in a leadership position at TWDC.

This company needs an enema of everyone put into place since Iger was elevated to CEO. They have destroyed the creative juices within the company. They run it by the numbers. Great for a company that isn't creative and can be run by the numbers, but detrimental for a company that literally created some of the very things they squeeze for more and more profits without regard for the long-term impact.

This company needs some people at the top with vision and creativity. Chapek and McCarthy, amongst others, are neither. There may be people internally who could fit the bill, but I have a feeling that the Bob's have driven out damn near everyone who could take on the job and do it better than those two clowns have.

Jrb1979

I have a lot of pages to catch up on, but my thoughts as they stand.

Chapek is and has always been in over his head. D'Amaro is in over his head where he is. Everything they are doing is reactive instead of proactive. They need to restore what was, not cut further to reduce the experience - squeezing harder will not result in increased profits. This further exemplifies the fact that neither have any understanding of what made the theme parks special in the first place.

TWDC has always needed someone with vision running the company, either alone or in tandem with a numbers person. Eisner/Wells was that last tandem. Eisner still cared about the parks and had some kind of vision about them, despite his (many) missteps post-1994. Iger was an empty suit whose "vision" was offering up advice like, "More trees". Chapek is a crap peddler, nothing more, nothing less. On top of that, he and the CFO openly say things that are quite possibly some of the dumbest things ever uttered by anyone in a leadership position at TWDC.

This company needs an enema of everyone put into place since Iger was elevated to CEO. They have destroyed the creative juices within the company. They run it by the numbers. Great for a company that isn't creative and can be run by the numbers, but detrimental for a company that literally created some of the very things they squeeze for more and more profits without regard for the long-term impact.

This company needs some people at the top with vision and creativity. Chapek and McCarthy, amongst others, are neither. There may be people internally who could fit the bill, but I have a feeling that the Bob's have driven out damn near everyone who could take on the job and do it better than those two clowns have.
From what some have posted in here, they don't understand the parks and in their mind they are for carnies. The parks are an ATM for the part of the company they care about.

kingdead

That is exactly what the tea leaves say…

Hell…not even that subtle…it’s a flashing neon sign 100 feet above the 405
What's going to be wild is if the Disapple rumors come true... that might be an actual villain story as every parkgoer trashy enough to own an Android finds themselves waiting 2 hours to get into anything other than the Tiki Room...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom