Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

celluloid

Phased closings were very rare and never lasted the entire day anyways. I used to park hop in and out of MK on New Year’s Eve.

Exactly, and anyone comparing phased closing to reservations is being disnguine or misnformed.

If you have the top tier WDW Annual Pass that is valid for that day but cannot get in due to reservations at cap, but someone can still buy a one day ticket for that day, not really the same.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The current required qualification for new park cast - do they have a pulse?

(quoted by a current frontline CM and in no way disingenuous to existing cast)
Given the surly CMs I encountered today at Epcot, and the fact that my TWDC applications were rejected for reasons OTHER than my rehire status, I'd say the pulse requirement is pretty spot on.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It helped define and shape the "Disney Look" that made it a world famous, admired brand.

Just look at the Disneyland tour guides in the 60's and 70's where they (literally) did not have skirt sizes in double digits vs what you witness today.

I see more professional, fit, polished employees at the DMV. It's embarrassing for the brand.

The entire concept and image of the aspirational "Disney Look" has been obliterated.

If you see that as a benefit to the brand and parks, well, we just disagree.

I will admit, my first time seeing tattooed/pierced/bearded CMs talking with guests in the park did surprise me a bit.

And then I remember, I'm an adult and it's 2022. I am also tattooed, pierced, and bearded... and work at a leadership level for a Fortune 50 company. Why the hell can't a CM look like me? If they can do the job well, let them do it.

celluloid

Will the business be affected or effected? I hope the people are not affected from this RoF
Not you, but some could use this. Most likely, the word "effect" should be being used more. Chapek wants to affect, it will have an effect.

CaptainAmerica

How do these looming layoffs impact any thought of restarting the Lake Nona mass migration of employees from SoCal to Florida, I wonder? 🤔

I'm not up on the latest Lake Nona developments, but didn't they put that all on hold six months ago? Or is it still moving forward and a new office campus is being built there for a few thousand California transplants?

I think it's safe to say that the bulk of cutbacks and layoffs will be coming to the Burbank side of the business; namely movie studios, marketing, Disney+, merchandising, the various Glendale n' Burbank cubicle farms, etc... But while the layoffs will likely be limited in the Parks division, what layoffs do happen will likely be focused on the army of white collar folks who work in the sterile office parks of Celebration and Lake Buena Vista.

Not to say that Anaheim won't see some fat cut and people get walked out to their cars in the next few months, as I'm sure that will also happen. But the bulk of the white collar support teams for the Parks are in Florida. What's the future hold for Celebration and Lake Nona?
Disney has a crapload of expensive real estate, both owned and leased, in California. Don't forget that the Fox acquisition came with buildings too. Yes, I would expect the exodus from California to move forward. The pause on Lake Nona was a PR thing.

And don't forget that Parks isn't just parks. It's also Consumer Products.

JoeCamel

Not you, but some could use this. Most likely, the word "effect" should be being used more. Chapek wants to affect, it will have an effect.
My understanding is that an effect affects something. Should clear up the noun/verb quickly. The action on effect has always seemed wrong to me but I grew up in the midwest and hated sentence structure and english in general

still am comma usage eludes me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That is…sadly…what American companies are dealing with across the board. And not the normal suspects…even those with better reputation.

I’ll remind how phenomenally stupid it was to jettison your staff in the biggest time of global uncertainty since…the Cuban missile crisis?
No…probably 1939-41…that big of a deal.

And they did the DUMBEST thing ever. On the bobs. Period.

Last edited:

Lilofan

There is a Chinese proverb
If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I started at entry level many moons ago but over the years I moved up through hard work and getting promoted.

celluloid

I understand correct but it feels and sounds wrong to me
I think that is part of the issue for many. They should not sound wrong because they are homophones. If people say the words differently to the ears they are said to be doing it wrong.

I always feel like there should be a bit on The Simpsons or other satire cartoon where there is a"Special Affect demonstration" Soundstage show at a movie studio theme park.

wutisgood

Bob Chapek pretty much has had to be publicly shamed before acting like he cares about park guests or cast members. People with diverse backgrounds and views all hate this dude. People who work with him hate him too. There is always someone who is going to try to prove their personal opinions or minority views are the reason for his failures. Bob can't even get a decent PR person to tell him when to shut his mouth. This dude is everything wrong with modern corporate culture.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob Chapek pretty much has had to be publicly shamed before acting like he cares about park guests or cast members. People with diverse backgrounds and views all hate this dude. People who work with him hate him too. There is always someone who is going to try to prove their personal opinions or minority views are the reason for his failures. Bob can't even get a decent PR person to tell him when to shut his mouth. This dude is everything wrong with modern corporate culture.
It’s become very clear that he and the board hold a very deliberate role…and it’s not to provide practical stewardship.

I always feared things would go this way and we’ve crossed zero barrier…

It’s ALL on Iger. His legacy is degrading by the day.

You did this Bob…you didn’t learn the lessons of your own history and ran like a coward.

Have fun writing another 100 page book

JoeCamel

I like how Chapek is like "I know layoffs are difficult but thats what real leadership is about!". Hey Chapek why don't you take responsibility and take a big pay cut since your a key reason why things are declining?

People need to call him out on this
Unfortunately his compensation is a drop in the bucket but it would be a gesture he cares. not ready to circle the wagons yet just belt tightening so the outrage might be better directed at other than what the board negotiated to pay him.
Bob has shown no sign he cares about the little people

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom