Disney pays $700K for LA Times' front page Alice ad

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Times Sells Disney Its Front Page for $700K

By Sharon Waxman

Published: March 05, 2010
Updated at 11:45 and again at 3:00 pm:

An insider at the L.A. TImes confirmed that the paper received in the ballpark of $700,000 for the four-page spread that acted as the front page.
The ad was the subject of much chatter at the annual Publicists Guild luncheon, where even publicists wondered if this sort of stunt could work over time.
"At first I thought it was the actual front page, and I called my staff to ask if there was a printing error," said one studio veteran from a non-Disney company. "I wasn't happy to see that at 5:55 am before my coffee. I don't want to be seeing that mixed with my serious news, and it's not as if the movie needs the push."
Others wondered if future front-page ads would have similar impact, since readers would be wise to the gig from now on.
But mainly, it turns out that even publicists want to see news on the front page of their newspaper.

Earlier:

In another first, the Los Angeles Times sold its front page to The Walt Disney Company in a special promotion for “Alice in Wonderland,” which is opening on Friday.
Instead of the actual front page, readers in Los Angeles are treated to a faux front page, complete with the traditional “Los Angeles Times” masthead, splashed with a full-color photo of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. The image spilled over two “articles” on health care and Afghanistan.

Full story — and an image of the ad — here
-------

Another example of Disney's balls to the wall marketing push for this film, it would seem.
http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/la-times-sell-disney-entire-front-page-14953

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom