Disney Parks to Ban Straws

Ismael Flores

you know we get upset about all these bans and changes but the real problem is the growing lack of education. we see it all the time from smokers turning on a cigarette wherever they want and then dropping the cigarette buds on the floor even though they are standing next to a disposal. People laziness to walk a few feet to a bin to throw their garbage from the candy they opened or from the cup with a straw they just emptied.

I see eateries adding bins with signs to separate recyclables yet people just dump everything at the closest bin.

and for some strange reason i am almost sure that the first people to complain might be part of the problem.
It will definitely be interesting to see how things evolve with this and many dilemas connected with where to dispose are growing tons of non biodegrable trash

Phroobar

State of Florida supposedly banning local straw bans for 5 years; legality questionable.

Now how is my emotional support monkey suppose to drink his Pepsi?

0019b93bd68d113b96b30e.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Again, if you read the article (or my comment) Florida is not banning straws. They are banning local government straw bans.

That should delay local straw bans by 5 years unless successfully challenged in court.

If Disney’s policy was completely voluntary, it shouldn’t affect that.

Phroobar

Education. I was raised to not throw trash on the ground, thus, I do not.

But, why educate people and praise self responsibility when the guvmint can just ban things instead and control people and every aspect of life right?

Idiocracy in the making.
Just because they were educated/raised to not throw trash on the ground doesn't mean they don't do it. Friends are a bigger influence on the millennial mind. If their friends throw trash on the ground, the "educated" millennial will do it too. Being told not to do something, makes them want to do it even more.

mickEblu

I was at the park Monday and they were giving me drinks with paper straws and plastic lids on top. Did they change their minds on the lids? That never seemed like a good idea

MoonRakerSCM

Just because they were educated/raised to not throw trash on the ground doesn't mean they don't do it. Friends are a bigger influence on the millennial mind. If their friends throw trash on the ground, the "educated" millennial will do it too.

You're just passing the blame. It still comes down to education, in your example, education of the friends. Work on solving the problem (lack of education/respect for the environment) not the symptoms.

Self. Responsibility.

Ismael Flores

You're just passing the blame. It still comes down to education, in your example, education of the friends. Work on solving the problem (lack of education/respect for the environment) not the symptoms.

Self. Responsibility.

I agree with you that education is a big key in helping but also see that it only gets you so far. I work for an advertising company and great the amount of things that we do for the goverment offices are related to educating people not only about pollution, recycling and many many other things. This has been going on for at least the 30 years i have been in this business with this company and instead of what should be a change for the better it just seems to getting worse or ignored. i guess that it comes to the point where a more harsh action needs to be taken and at that point the new growing generation will grow up seeing it as a new norm.

Phroobar

Education doesn't solve anything if that habit remains. Most people know not to litter, they just don't care enough to stop.
It's kind of like profanity. People know not to use it but some people use it as part of their everyday speech while others don't get a .

Darkbeer1

I love my local COSTCO, they invested in new trash cans that have sorting slots on the top, but since nobody paid attention to them, they removed the inserts inside, and now all the slots go into the same large trash bag...… Talk about feel good actions!

MoonRakerSCM

On average, how many straws a year will Disney's ban stop from getting to ocean? As in how many Disney straws do you think have gotten into the ocean over, oh, let's say the past 10 years.

Darkbeer1

On average, how many straws a year will Disney's ban stop from getting to ocean? As in how many Disney straws do you think have gotten into the ocean over, oh, let's say the past 10 years.

None. Maybe a couple that came from folks who specifically took them to the Ocean so they could claim that Straws from Disney are in the ocean.

Well, Tokyo Disneyland is next to the Ocean, but the way they keep their parks clean, NO WAY could one get even close.

I guess one could claim that straws were recycled into fishing gear, and therefore got into the ocean...

Darkbeer1

The ban is now in effect at Walt Disney World

And in breaking news... Sea Turtle drowns due to getting Paper Straw up its nose. and having it get soggy and colipases, blocking his nasal pathways.

And now ADA advocates are recommending guests bring in their own plastic straws if they can't use paper straws.

drizgirl

And in breaking news... Sea Turtle drowns due to getting Paper Straw up its nose. and having it get soggy and colipases, blocking his nasal pathways.

And now ADA advocates are recommending guests bring in their own plastic straws if they can't use paper straws.
Are they actually giving out paper straws though? I thought they were just not giving out any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom