Disney Parks to Ban Straws

TP2000

According to Micechat, the paper straws are being phased out and the whole Disneyland Resort will once again have plastic straws in all restaurants.

Hurray! This is great news for anyone trying to drink a soda at Disneyland. Sanity and science and data wins this time.

The hypocrisy of banning straws while selling 75 billion plastic beverage and water bottles is staggering.

Isn't it hysterical?! 🤣 But blatant hypocrisy is the name of the game for anyone trying to Virtue Signal their environmental/political credentials in this current silly age. Twitter, the media, DC and Hollywood are full of shameless hypocrites.

They don't care about the enivironment. They had ziploc handing out plastic bags to everyone riding Splash Mountain the same year they banned plastic straws.

Their products are made in Chinese factories with no environmental regulations.

Disneyland is nothing but a waste of precious resources, energy production, water, capital, and food. It serves no purpose other than to create profit and entertain overweight tourists with disposable income. It is pure decadence and wasteful luxury, all set to a snappy Sherman Brothers tune. It encourages people to fly/drive long distances to see it, and then buy wasteful chunks of plastic to remember the visit by.

And all the wasteful plastic Disneyland sells is made in factories in Communist China with no environmental regulations and dubious employee protections, and then shipped in Diesel belching cargo ships halfway around the planet for sale at The Emporium.

Disneyland sits in an arid desert climate that has long drought cycles ever since the glaciers melted 12,000 years ago. And to celebrate that desert climate, it ends each operating day by atomizing hundreds of thousands of gallons of water into the desert air at Fantasmic! and World of Color. Climate perfection. 🤣

But if you can convince a woke AP'er from Irvine that their straw is politically correct and proves they are an Official Good Person, then that woke AP'er will ignore the mountains of Disneyland waste and decadence the straw dispenser is perched upon. :rolleyes:

As for me? I don't care that Disneyland is nothing but pure, wasteful decadence. I like it that way. I also couldn't care less about using plastic straws. I like plastic straws, and I fully understand that the County of Orange or Disneyland's Custodial Department does not flush its garbage down the Santa Ana River into the ocean each night, unlike China and Third World countries.

Plastic straws are handy and sanitary and free. Great news on plastic straws returning! 🥳

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Hurray! This is great news for anyone trying to drink a soda at Disneyland. Sanity and science and data wins this time.

Isn't it hysterical?! 🤣 But blatant hypocrisy is the name of the game for anyone trying to Virtue Signal their environmental/political credentials in this current silly age. Twitter, the media, DC and Hollywood are full of shameless hypocrites.

Disneyland is nothing but a waste of precious resources, energy production, water, capital, and food. It serves no purpose other than to create profit and entertain overweight tourists with disposable income. It is pure decadence and wasteful luxury, all set to a snappy Sherman Brothers tune. It encourages people to fly/drive long distances to see it, and then buy wasteful chunks of plastic to remember the visit by.

And all the wasteful plastic Disneyland sells is made in factories in Communist China with no environmental regulations and dubious employee protections, and then shipped in Diesel belching cargo ships halfway around the planet for sale at The Emporium.

Disneyland sits in an arid desert climate that has long drought cycles ever since the glaciers melted 12,000 years ago. And to celebrate that desert climate, it ends each operating day by atomizing hundreds of thousands of gallons of water into the desert air at Fantasmic! and World of Color. Climate perfection. 🤣

But if you can convince a woke AP'er from Irvine that their straw is politically correct and proves they are an Official Good Person, then that woke AP'er will ignore the mountains of Disneyland waste and decadence the straw dispenser is perched upon. :rolleyes:

As for me? I don't care that Disneyland is nothing but pure, wasteful decadence. I like it that way. I also couldn't care less about using plastic straws. I like plastic straws, and I fully understand that the County of Orange or Disneyland's Custodial Department does not flush its garbage down the Santa Ana River into the ocean each night, unlike China and Third World countries.

Plastic straws are handy and sanitary and free. Great news on plastic straws returning! 🥳
All I want to do is say how true your post is as well as how much is made me laugh (a lot). I completely agree.

Waste is totally built into a concept of a place like Disneyland, as is any vacation destination. It's true America any way I see it.

It's totally true that Disney's faux "environmental efforts" are only to be trendy for SoCal AP'ers to feel comfortable wasting money there. Just like the whole "inclusion" talking points while they operate in countries where it is forbidden to be homosexual.

I remember staying at paradise pier hotel in 2013 with relatives and how all the paper work in the hotel talked about doing your part by conserving water (was during a major drought). That same night I saw World of Color for the first time and couldnt help but smirk as I saw Disney turn millions of gallons of water into water vapor to put on a show.

GenerationX

Yes, there should be water bottle refill stations everywhere that also offer ice and filtered cold water. This would help dramatically reduce the number of water bottles sold.
True, though there's no way Disney is surrendering the generous profit margin on water bottles. Charging for a water refill, while bold, wouldn't net them the sales they get from bottles. Removing straws didn't cost them any sales and, as a bonus, slightly reduced per drink costs.

cmwade77

True, though there's no way Disney is surrendering the generous profit margin on water bottles. Charging for a water refill, while bold, wouldn't net them the sales they get from bottles. Removing straws didn't cost them any sales and, as a bonus, slightly reduced per drink costs.
Until we started bringing our own compostable straws, we didn't buy drinks and in fact now we are more like to ask for free cups of water instead of being sodas as a result and I am sure we aren't the only ones that have reduced our soda consumption (which is probably a good thing) as a result. We get the free cups of water and pour them into insulated bottles.

mickEblu

Because they use substantially more plastic than a straw and are very bad for the environment.

Oh? But how much plastic is used for the toys and water bottles they sell? But they make money on those items. They don’t make money on straws and lids.

Plus my point is you can’t get rid of straws AND lids at theme park of all places. The state didn’t even ban lids did they? Just more virtue signaling and piggy backing off the states straw mandate to make a few more bucks while not offering the guests a decent alternative.

Last edited:

socalifornian

Autopia when plastic straws were discontinued

F4346596-6378-4987-8F89-C590BC839267.gif

Last edited:

el_super

In certain cities that have banned plastic straws, similar things are happening. Heck, even in restaurants in California, they aren't supposed to offer any straw unless you ask for it and that is being ignored as well. Why? Because common sense is finally prevailing.

Cultural changes like asking for straws take some time. There's really no indication that they are losing their focus on the environment, and in fact they are still making changes and introducing new initiatives like the new trash cans.

Common sense is prevailing, which is why it seems premature to leap to the conclusion that the straw issue isn't just related to supply chain issues or product quality, and is instead an abandonment of their recycling goals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom