Disney+ @ Parks & Rollout

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Boy is streaming about to change! The app is slick, features 4K support, yada yada. I’ll keep it short and simple, and explain the purpose of the thread.

Disney Parks around the world will have Disney+ available for free in hotel rooms. While DCL has had on-demand for staterooms for some time now, Disney+ is significantly larger in scale and is the company’s top priority.

This thread is for discussing Disney+ at the parks specifically, it’s rollout, promotions, and more at the resorts. Please share info and pictures. Since there was no thread on this specifically, I thought it would be a good time to do so seeing how it came out mere hours ago.

What’s impressive is the sheer amount of content available including the exclusives. It feels just wrong, but oh is it so right!

Sure, we all would have loved to see 100% of Disney’s catalog, including older shorts, the Wonderful World of Disney, and unedited historical films, but Disney+ somehow has left me awestruck. Market share aside, it’s a plus—pun intended—for consumers at least over the short term.

I was able to snag the 3 years for the price of two deal, so I couldn’t resist, and I’m glad I didn’t. It should be fun watching the entire medium evolve over that span of time, and I’ll reassess the value then. For now, it’s still a steal at $69 a year and should convince many to cut the cord when paired with a Blu-ray collection for shows and movies, and an antenna for network TV.

It’s THE game changer for media, and is it for the parks too?
F7119615-0685-43C0-9E46-47E7CF1CFD55.png

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
The app is down as of 6:52am EST. Any word on hotel rollout?

Not unexpected given the unprecedented demand!
02060711-1B04-4CB2-9515-0DC512FAEEA6.png

EDIT: Went back up shortly after, with outages popping up sporadically in the hours since. Nothing to be alarmed about, and this was to be expected. The app is actually well designed and smooth, and it will work great once the initial rush dies down.

Last edited:

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
I watched the Mandalorian at 4:30am this morning on Roku. No problems
It’s resolved now. It started around 6:50am. It lasted at most half an hour probably from the ‘official’ release time bump.

About the Mandalorian... wow! It’s shaping up to be an excellent show!
It gets the writing right unlike the prequels (and to a lesser extent the sequels), and it gets the world building right which is something the sequels failed miserably at.

VaderTron

App loads very slowly, keeps crashing, when open won't list a-z listings, won't add to my watchlist, and shows no option to download any content. Now the app shows me the blue circle of death and after spinning for a minute gives me an error message and won't open the app again.

Platform is Roku

Edit: Now it says to check my internet connection. I exited the app, opened Netflix and it opened in 3 seconds and immediately started playing the preview for the featured show in HD. No internet problems here

Last edited:

Movielover

Working great on Chrome. Watched the Mandalorian at 2 am this morning, followed it up with Honey I Shrunk The Kids and now working my way through The Muppets! So much content!

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
For us Disney-obsessed, The Imagineering Story is made by Leslie Iwerks, granddaughter of the co-creator of Mickey Mouse. Revolutionary animator and Imagineer Ub Iwerks is an under appreciated individual who deserves more recognition. Hopefully it not only shows us unseen technology but also the historical side too, and perhaps Ub’s and others’ influence in Imagineering. It’s a huge part of American history.

If anyone is interested in animation and the rest of The Walt Disney Company, there’s some fascinating reads on Walt, Roy, and Ub that disprove conspiracy theories and show the unknown parts of these men online. Infighting, personal lives, etc. It’s worth looking into!

Last edited:

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
App was working on cell phone just fine, but it keeps crashing on my Sony TV which is only a couple of years old.
App loads very slowly, keeps crashing, when open won't list a-z listings, won't add to my watchlist, and shows no option to download any content. Now the app shows me the blue circle of death and after spinning for a minute gives me an error message and won't open the app again.

Platform is Roku

Edit: Now it says to check my internet connection. I exited the app, opened Netflix and it opened in 3 seconds and immediately started playing the preview for the featured show in HD. No internet problems here
It’s the rollout of the most anticipated app perhaps ever. Expect delays, glitches, and errors. It’s actually running decently with the occasional outage. It remains to be seen whether it stays that way or not, so we’ll see. You can watch movies and shows even if some functionalities are temporarily broken. If the whole app is down, I wouldn’t worry about it long term.

A Noble Fish

Original Poster
Update: Some ‘collections’ in the app are fully functional, but most are not. They’ll work out the kinks as the service sees less people downloading the app.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Search “Disney Plus” instead of “Disney+”.
If that fails, click on Disney as a publisher in one of their apps and scroll to find Disney+.
This is what I did. I had to scroll down to find the right app, but it's there.
Thanks for the tip. Found it.
That’s crazy. Search Disney+ its not there. Search Disney Plus and it comes up labeled Disney+.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
let's be honest here... if the same people are architecting and managing Disney+ than managed their other websites... it will be a disaster in terms of stability

why a company the size of Disney can't get their act together on this drives me crazy, especially as an IT guy myself knowing what typically needs to be done to plan and/or autoscale where needed.

bubbles1812

let's be honest here... if the same people are architecting and managing Disney+ than managed their other websites... it will be a disaster in terms of stability

why a company the size of Disney can't get their act together on this drives me crazy, especially as an IT guy myself knowing what typically needs to be done to plan and/or autoscale where needed.

Seems to be working pretty well now. Think they just got really slammed. I doubt it’ll be unstable long term.

Altogether, I am very pleased with the initial content included. I love some of the back catalogue cartoons they included all the way back to the 1920s. It was wonderful to see some Silly Symphonies made it in and I’m sure more will be added with time.

Can’t wait to watch Lady and the Tramp and Noelle! Then I’ll go relive my childhood by watching some of the 90s toons. Duck Tales here I come!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom