Disney parks going Vegetarian?

vikescaper

I try to be as open minded about things as possible but I tried one of the Impossible burgers a few years ago. I ate it but I necessarily didn’t enjoy it. If the parks ever did go meatless, I’m sure I would be able to find something I would eat.

Brad Bishop

I never understood the: "We can take vegetables and make them taste like an all-beef burger!"

No one ever says, "I can make this meat taste like broccoli!"

Vegetables can be made good and tasty (appealing) all on their own. You don't have to make them into something different and then tell your family to eat their pretend-burger. All you have to do is make a plate of veggies with some seasoning / sauce / whatever and that works all on its own.

correcaminos

I've done a lot of vegan and vegetarian places with friends. The over use of allium family items is highly problematic for me. So I'd say as a whole no. One of my saving meals is grilled chicken with salt and pepper or rosemary. Or mac n cheese. It'd be boring to eat mac n cheese all the time unless brunch menus were an option.

Lilofan

I've done a lot of vegan and vegetarian places with friends. The over use of allium family items is highly problematic for me. So I'd say as a whole no. One of my saving meals is grilled chicken with salt and pepper or rosemary. Or mac n cheese. It'd be boring to eat mac n cheese all the time unless brunch menus were an option.
Going meatless while at WDW was a breeze. Went to Sweet Tomatoes buffet neat DAK. Sadly all company locations shuttered during covid and never reopened again.

correcaminos

Going meatless while at WDW was a breeze. Went to Sweet Tomatoes buffet neat DAK. Sadly all company locations shuttered during covid and never reopened again.
When you have an allium allergy buffets are the worst tbh. I avoid them as much as vegan places. I only eat one category of meat right now. Vegetarian and vegan options often are bad for me.

higgipoker

I never understood the: "We can take vegetables and make them taste like an all-beef burger!"

No one ever says, "I can make this meat taste like broccoli!"

Vegetables can be made good and tasty (appealing) all on their own. You don't have to make them into something different and then tell your family to eat their pretend-burger. All you have to do is make a plate of veggies with some seasoning / sauce / whatever and that works all on its own.
It's more aimed at people who change their choices for moral reasons but find the switch difficult because they have been used to the taste and texture of animals for 10, 20 30 years.

Personally I like the convenience of burger shaped food but I agree with you, if I'm out at a nice restaurant for an evening I'm ordering something made from nice fresh, unprocessed plant based foods and saving the burgers for those fast-food nights!

KeeKee

Been vegetarian for more than 25 years. It was, however, an adjustment. No, meat substitutes don't always taste like meat, but that doesn't mean they aren't good on their own. I like meat as much as the next person; it was an easy decision to go vegetarian for me. Good for me; good for the planet. Doesn't mean anyone should be "forced" (there's that word) to go meatless, but it's a good idea to cut down; anything helps the animals and the earth. Too much meat can cause physical problems. That's something to consider as well.

jdroptini

How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.
HAHAHAHA! NOPE! And love the response from the full vegan!! No Faux Meat! :p

MaryJaneP

How long until we can't eat vegetables anymore because A.) they have feelings or B.) climate change results in either a worldwide desert or ice age? No meat, no veggies, no food!

ThemeParkJunkee

Impossible burgers and the like are extremely processed and contain ingredients that are not even food. Black bean and quinoa burger or the like with clean ingredients are much better. If fake meat and Chik'n were used, there would be very few "clean foods" available. It is heavily processed as dry pet food.
Ingredients impossible.jpg

Club Cooloholic

I like the options they have. Its much better than it used to be. I still think DL has more healthier and interesting QS, but WDW is improving. We just were at Liberty Tree and my youngest doesn't really care for meat so he gave the vegan meatloaf a try. Wasn't his thing but my wife and I liked it. Spicier than I was expecting.

higgipoker

How long until we can't eat vegetables anymore because A.) they have feelings or B.) climate change results in either a worldwide desert or ice age? No meat, no veggies, no food!
A: not sure there is any reasonable evolutionary pathway for plants to develop the equivalent of a brain / nervous system, and if there is it will take millions of years and we’ll probably be long gone anyway. So I wouldn’t worry about that one.

B: more realistic, but again probably not within a timeframe that your great great great grandchildren will have to worry about. Wel’ll probably kill ourselves off by other means or finally escape this planet before that happens!

higgipoker

I like the options they have. Its much better than it used to be. I still think DL has more healthier and interesting QS, but WDW is improving. We just were at Liberty Tree and my youngest doesn't really care for meat so he gave the vegan meatloaf a try. Wasn't his thing but my wife and I liked it. Spicier than I was expecting.
Yea we visited in 17 and 18 and whilst things improved year on year, “plant based” wasn’t even a thing at Disney back then. Really happy with the developments since and looking forward to this summer! Having one designated plant based option on every menu is a step in the right direction, but come on, we need 2 so my wife and I can get something different and share! 😝

Last edited:

Jasperkitty

How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.
As someone allergic to some of the proteins used in most fake meats, that'd be a hard no for me. I'm all for having more options that are healthy, and enjoy an occasional vegan dish, but this trend towards fake meats when there are so many other options for plant-based (a.k.a. vegan under another name), is not the way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom