Disney parks going Vegetarian?

J4546

Original Poster
How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.

JIMINYCR

Barf….I’ve tried the meatless stuff and I’d starve. I’ve tried a variety of things in a variety of places and there’s no way it’s good enough that you can’t tell the difference. I don’t mind vegetarian only dishes and sometimes order them but Disney would lose me if they ever switched entirely meatless. I don’t mind them having a broader selection on the menus. Give us a choice and let us order what pleases us.

Sir_Cliff

This, although I don’t think it would last long. Wouldn’t work if at least one member of the family (group) insists on eating real meat.
I don't know, there are a lot of vegetarians around and if most wanted to eat in this restaurant and drag their group along (enthusiastically or not) for one meal during their WDW trip it would be pretty busy. There are some great vegetarian restaurants around, and if they made this more top end I think it would get some buzz around it.

As for WDW going vegetarian, I don't think that will ever come close to happening. It wouldn't bother me even as a non-vegetarian as I am also perfectly happy eating vegetarian meals and don't eat that much meat anyway, but a lot of people would lose their minds!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.
Same way I’d feel if they stopped serving vegetables, fruits, bread, or any other food group — annoyed.

And they are not so good I can’t tell the difference.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nope, I don't think so given the current state of non-omnivorous cuisine. Just as most of the table service locations have almost eliminated any hint of spice as well as added chicken nuggets to cater to the masses. As only 5% of the population considers themselves vegetarian, that would be a hard economic hurdle to pass beyond a location such as Mr Kamal's.

DfromATX

It might be cool to have a vegetarian restaurant - this would fit in well theme wise at both DAK and Epcot. I love vegetarian food but I think the majority of theme park guests are always going to want a “real” burger and/or hot dog.

Disney does a pretty great job of having a good variety of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc. options.
That's not such an unreasonable option. I mean, why not? And I am definitely a meat eater, but that's not to say I have to have it every meal. I'd be down for a vegetarian meal one night if my group wanted to go. As for the original question, terrible idea lol.

Marc Davis Fan

I'm definitely impressed with properly-prepared (e.g., not overcooked) Impossible burgers. And the Impossible meatballs are really good, too.

However, I think we have a ways to go before some of the other plant-based meats, e.g., hot dogs, and certainly things like steak, etc., are comparable. I wouldn't be surprised if the day were to come when they're all nearly-indistinguishable, but that day is still a number of years away.

Nevertheless, it's great to have more vegetarian and vegan options in the parks. And sometimes those are (arguably) the best things on the menu, e.g., at Satu'li Canteen and Docking Bay 7!

It's also great to have snacks and drinks that everybody can enjoy, like the vegan-by-default Blue/Green milks and Galaxy's Edge popcorn.

There was actually an op-ed in The Orlando Sentinel a little while back arguing for more vegetarian/vegan food at Disney's Animal Kingdom: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...0220204-qzpykaon4nhubmncc2nosvi7fy-story.html

SteveAZee

It seems like the last time I looked (because I wanted to try it) most of the meat-based substitutes, like the burgers, were notably more expensive than what I'd pay for ground beef in the store. Perhaps because it's all pre-formed and packaged, but the $/lb seemed... non-competitive on the price front. Does Disney charge more for meatless variations of meals?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Yes. They will be using Pixar's LIGHTYEAR as a tie-in to launch a new parkwide campaign. Look for signage to appear in Tomorrowland featuring Buzz and his new catchphrase: To Infinity and Beyond Meat!

Close...

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 7.53.30 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom