News Disney Parks Chairman Josh D'Amaro reflects on 2020 and hopes for 2021

EricsBiscuit

The inclusivity key is such a pander. It’s already encompassed in courtesy. All they’re during is weakening their 4 Keys system. Before you know it, there will be 6, 7, 8... keys. Not a huge deal, but still. What’s worse is their almost idiotic Splash Mountain decision. Worst of both worlds. An important IP that should receive better treatment is instead shoe horned into a perfectly fine classic. It will cost Disney hundreds of millions and take years. Might as well do something original. But no, the woke crowd strikes again.

drizgirl

The inclusivity key is such a pander. It’s already encompassed in courtesy. All they’re during is weakening their 4 Keys system. Before you know it, there will be 6, 7, 8... keys. Not a huge deal, but still. What’s worse is their almost idiotic Splash Mountain decision. Worst of both worlds. An important IP that should receive better treatment is instead shoe horned into a perfectly fine classic. It will cost Disney hundreds of millions and take years. Might as well do something original. But no, the woke crowd strikes again.
But if they can just come in and close down all the "offending" attractions for an extended period of time, they can recoup part of the cost in reduced operating expenses.

MatheusPG

I still don't get it why so many people think that Josh D'Amaro is any different than Iger or Chapek, do you guys really think that they would promote him if he was an old style Disney executive? He just knows how to promote himself better than the two of them, who only care about how Wall Street sees them. Did he promote any significant changes or ideas during his time at the company? No. I would agree with all of you, if he had at least pushed and got a green lit in a non-ip project or if he canceled this horrific Splash thing. Now, he is trying to act like Disney didn't pay bonus to executives before firing a lot of people and like the Splash Mountain retheme isn't a personal project from the wanna be politician in charge of the company (even with the keep Splash Mountain campaign having more than 100.000 signatures).

tirian

I still don't get it why so many people think that Josh D'Amaro is any different than Iger or Chapek, do you guys really think that they would promote him if he was an old style Disney executive? He just knows how to promote himself better than the two of them, who only care about how Wall Street sees them. Did he promote any significant changes or ideas during his time at the company? No. I would agree with all of you, if he had at least pushed and got a green lit in a non-ip project or if he canceled this horrific Splash thing. Now, he is trying to act like Disney didn't pay bonus to executives before firing a lot of people and like the Splash Mountain retheme isn't a personal project from the wanna be politician in charge of the company (even with the keep Splash Mountain campaign having more than 100.000 signatures).
Good point. As that old saying goes, “Squirrels are rats with better publicity.”

It’s difficult to take any of their pixie-dust announcements seriously when they’re charging full prices for lesser experiences in parks that are fairly busy, and while they’re cutting jobs and paying exec bonuses during “these difficult/unprecedented/unexpected times.”

;)

TrainsOfDisney

I still don't get it why so many people think that Josh D'Amaro is any different than Iger or Chapek, do you guys really think that they would promote him if he was an old style Disney executive?
I think he actually cares about the parks, which is more than I think about Iger and Chapek.

But I agree... he’s not the savior anybody is hoping he will be.

Lilofan

I think he actually cares about the parks, which is more than I think about Iger and Chapek.

But I agree... he’s not the savior anybody is hoping he will be.
D'Amaro seemed sincere and defeated when meeting with cast according to reports when the massive round of layoffs went down. He probably knew what he signed up for when he took the chairman job. His speech is about being defiant. Does one think a cast member who is lucky enough to be working should be showing this trait?

Disney Analyst

They seriously are doubling down on the inclusivity first mantra. I only got two episodes into the new Pixar documentary on Disney+ and realized that it was one big virtue signaling series based on identity politics. Sorry - I want everyone treated equally with equal opportunity for all. All for it, but don't stuff it down my throat.

Yeah watching inclusivity play out is such a hard and awful thing to witness. How very dare they. Have your equal opportunity but don’t remind us you have it these days, we like to pretend it’s the 50’s in our minds. Ahh the good old days.

😒🙃

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah watching inclusivity play out is such a hard and awful thing to witness. How very dare they. Have your equal opportunity but don’t remind us you have it these days, we like to pretend it’s the 50’s in our minds. Ahh the good old days.

😒🙃
How many people of various cultural backgrounds, religious beliefs, and sexual identities were part of the 28,000 laid off?

But sure... let’s focus on the log flume.

SpoiledBlueMilk

😒🙃
Hardly, and your snark misses the mark by a country mile. My comment was aimed at the Pixar series and that alone. Embodying diversity and inclusion is integral to business success. That should be standard practice and I commend Disney on adding it as a 5th key to their training program. However, when I sit down to watch a documentary series billed in advertising as a look behind the scenes at Pixar, I expect more of a look behind the scenes at how the creative process works, a la the Frozen doc, than series of short form stories cherrypicked to fill a diversity quotient.

Disney Analyst

Hardly, and your snark misses the mark by a country mile. My comment was aimed at the Pixar series and that alone. Embodying diversity and inclusion is integral to business success. That should be standard practice and I commend Disney on adding it as a 5th key to their training program. However, when I sit down to watch a documentary series billed in advertising as a look behind the scenes at Pixar, I expect more of a look behind the scenes at how the creative process works, a la the Frozen doc, than series of short form stories cherrypicked to fill a diversity quotient.

It all sounds like spoilt milk to me ;)

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Meh, the chances of changing someone’s opinion on a fan forum are slim to none.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom