News Disney Parks Chairman Josh D'Amaro reflects on 2020 and hopes for 2021

Magenta Panther

So how is retheming Splash to PatF "inclusive" in any way? From what I've read about the proposed makeover, Tiana is barely going to be in the ride at all. Kind of like she was in her own movie (in human form, anyway).

Way to pander, Josh. What's next for the new "Inclusion" ploy? A gay pride parade down Main Street?

EricsBiscuit

The inclusivity key is such a pander. It’s already encompassed in courtesy. All they’re during is weakening their 4 Keys system. Before you know it, there will be 6, 7, 8... keys. Not a huge deal, but still. What’s worse is their almost idiotic Splash Mountain decision. Worst of both worlds. An important IP that should receive better treatment is instead shoe horned into a perfectly fine classic. It will cost Disney hundreds of millions and take years. Might as well do something original. But no, the woke crowd strikes again.

drizgirl

The inclusivity key is such a pander. It’s already encompassed in courtesy. All they’re during is weakening their 4 Keys system. Before you know it, there will be 6, 7, 8... keys. Not a huge deal, but still. What’s worse is their almost idiotic Splash Mountain decision. Worst of both worlds. An important IP that should receive better treatment is instead shoe horned into a perfectly fine classic. It will cost Disney hundreds of millions and take years. Might as well do something original. But no, the woke crowd strikes again.
But if they can just come in and close down all the "offending" attractions for an extended period of time, they can recoup part of the cost in reduced operating expenses.

MatheusPG

I still don't get it why so many people think that Josh D'Amaro is any different than Iger or Chapek, do you guys really think that they would promote him if he was an old style Disney executive? He just knows how to promote himself better than the two of them, who only care about how Wall Street sees them. Did he promote any significant changes or ideas during his time at the company? No. I would agree with all of you, if he had at least pushed and got a green lit in a non-ip project or if he canceled this horrific Splash thing. Now, he is trying to act like Disney didn't pay bonus to executives before firing a lot of people and like the Splash Mountain retheme isn't a personal project from the wanna be politician in charge of the company (even with the keep Splash Mountain campaign having more than 100.000 signatures).

tirian

I still don't get it why so many people think that Josh D'Amaro is any different than Iger or Chapek, do you guys really think that they would promote him if he was an old style Disney executive? He just knows how to promote himself better than the two of them, who only care about how Wall Street sees them. Did he promote any significant changes or ideas during his time at the company? No. I would agree with all of you, if he had at least pushed and got a green lit in a non-ip project or if he canceled this horrific Splash thing. Now, he is trying to act like Disney didn't pay bonus to executives before firing a lot of people and like the Splash Mountain retheme isn't a personal project from the wanna be politician in charge of the company (even with the keep Splash Mountain campaign having more than 100.000 signatures).
Good point. As that old saying goes, “Squirrels are rats with better publicity.”

It’s difficult to take any of their pixie-dust announcements seriously when they’re charging full prices for lesser experiences in parks that are fairly busy, and while they’re cutting jobs and paying exec bonuses during “these difficult/unprecedented/unexpected times.”

;)

Lilofan

I think he actually cares about the parks, which is more than I think about Iger and Chapek.

But I agree... he’s not the savior anybody is hoping he will be.
D'Amaro seemed sincere and defeated when meeting with cast according to reports when the massive round of layoffs went down. He probably knew what he signed up for when he took the chairman job. His speech is about being defiant. Does one think a cast member who is lucky enough to be working should be showing this trait?

jkh36619

and the out of touch “woke scolds” strike again. the new Splash will be more popular and less controversial than the current ride, but yeah, let’s just preemptively decry it because y’all don’t care about people who don’t look like you. yawn.
As you preemptively decry the new ride to be more popular and less controversial. Too funny.

tirian

and the out of touch “woke scolds” strike again. the new Splash will be more popular and less controversial than the current ride, but yeah, let’s just preemptively decry it because y’all don’t care about people who don’t look like you. yawn.
Yawn indeed. Also, the “people” do look like me, and I still think it’s a foolish decision.

The 28k layoffs (first round!) are more important to me than singing animals.

Back to the OP: yeah, Josh, let’s Dare to Dream in the same psychedelia as your new flagship castle. ;):D

Last edited:

SpoiledBlueMilk

They seriously are doubling down on the inclusivity first mantra. I only got two episodes into the new Pixar documentary on Disney+ and realized that it was one big virtue signaling series based on identity politics. Sorry - I want everyone treated equally with equal opportunity for all. All for it, but don't stuff it down my throat.

ParkerLoLs

They seriously are doubling down on the inclusivity first mantra. I only got two episodes into the new Pixar documentary on Disney+ and realized that it was one big virtue signaling series based on identity politics. Sorry - I want everyone treated equally with equal opportunity for all. All for it, but don't stuff it down my throat.
So, cancel Disney+. Don't support the company. This is where they're going and it isn't going to stop unless you and millions of others withhold your support and go elsewhere.

tirian

OH MY GOD PEOPLE THERE ARE COUNTLESS INCLUSIVITY MOUNTAIN THREADS.
I laughed out loud because I’m sick of it too, even if I don’t seem to be. :)

I think many people’s point is that the company keeps bringing it up everywhere, as if they don’t understand we get it and are sick of corporate pandering. We can’t escape the rhetoric, and it’s Disney’s fault. Plus they’re using it as a smokescreen to cover cutbacks, layoffs, price gouging, etc. The strategy is kind of offensive when you think about it.

ParkerLoLs

I laughed out loud because I’m sick of it too, even if I don’t seem to be. :)

I think many people’s point is that the company keeps bringing it up everywhere, as if they don’t understand we get it and are sick of corporate pandering. We can’t escape the rhetoric, and it’s Disney’s fault. Plus they’re using it as a smokescreen to cover cutbacks, layoffs, price gouging, etc. The strategy is kind of offensive when you think about it.
I could be wrong, but I think the same people are chomping at the bit to go back to this argument like me to an open bar. Over and over. And then hacks like me have to point it out. Over and over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom