News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

Disstevefan1

...and planning.

You can go to the park you want to go to if you beat others to the reservation. Which is inherent in every system of reservations. Space runs out.

Or pay for the hopper.
Before PPR’s you had the freedom of choice.

If I chose to go to the Magic Kingdom on the weekend, on a holiday, and it was mobbed, it was all on me and I totally accepted that.

If it was a major holiday and the rare occasion the Magic Kingdom was closed, I totally understand it was really crowded for it to be closed for a bit but I knew it would reopen and I understood and accepted that.

There is no rationalization that will make make me feel that PPR’s are better than when we had freedom of choice.

PPR’s are about control and being told which park to go to.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I chose to go to the Magic Kingdom on the weekend, on a holiday, and it was mobbed, it was all on me and I totally accepted that.
But others -- a significant amount of others -- didn't enjoy that. They told Disney as much in surveys.

And Disney listened to them more than you because, in aggregate, they spent a totality of less money because of the crowded conditions. And they soured on "the brand," which hurts future spending on their part.

And Disney Ops were swamped. And having a labor force in place for overcrowded days meant that outside those peak days, they had staff complaining they weren't getting enough hours. And now, there aren't even enough labor to staff such a peak day.

There's no perfect solution. Somebody's not going to be able to do what they want. It was different when the parks were nowhere their capacity for almost all the time. Now they're at a tipping point.

And I maintain that "adding capacity" doesn't help unless you add the right kind of capacity which isn't a new E-Ticket ride, which only increases crowding. But whenever Disney builds something that's not an E-Ticket ride, they get dumped on because it's not an E-Ticket ride (see: TSL and JoW).

GimpYancIent

But others -- a significant amount of others -- didn't enjoy that. They told Disney as much in surveys.

And Disney listened to them more than you because, in aggregate, they spent a totality of less money because of the crowded conditions. And they soured on "the brand," which hurts future spending on their part.

And Disney Ops were swamped. And having a labor force in place for overcrowded days meant that outside those peak days, they had staff complaining they weren't getting enough hours. And now, there aren't even enough labor to staff such a peak day.

There's no perfect solution. Somebody's not going to be able to do what they want. It was different when the parks were nowhere their capacity for almost all the time. Now they're at a tipping point.

And I maintain that "adding capacity" doesn't help unless you add the right kind of capacity which isn't a new E-Ticket ride, which only increases crowding. But whenever Disney builds something that's not an E-Ticket ride, they get dumped on because it's not an E-Ticket ride (see: TSL and JoW).
The surveys were flawed. School schedules, work schedules, illnesses, financial issues hell as many people that go to the Disney Properties is as many reasons as there are for when people go. Control when people can go.? That much Pixie dust does not exist.

GimpYancIent

You mean pack them in October?

Like they just did?

When are the "dead times" now that used to exist?

Seems to be working.
There are certain times of year due to Holidays and circumstances Disney will put on particular entertainment to take advantage of the opportunity, that's business. The highs and lows are not because Disney controlled anything.

dreday3

For myself, once they introduced FP+, it was basically the same thing. You picked 60 days out which park you were going to. And if you’re doing any ADRs, it was basically the same thing.

That's really how we look at park reservations too.

We are far, don't go every year so we don't have the same problem as others who may go more often (or live there) and find spur of the moment reservations hard to get.
Haven't had an issue switching park reservations day of yet, but also we went in October 2021, so not as crowded. We will see next trip how hard it is to switch day of.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's really how we look at park reservations too.

We are far, don't go every year so we don't have the same problem as others who may go more often (or live there) and find spur of the moment reservations hard to get.
Haven't had an issue switching park reservations day of yet, but also we went in October 2021, so not as crowded. We will see next trip how hard it is to switch day of.
When is your next trip? I think I owe you a glass of reserve wine from Wine Bar George. We’ll be there May 2-9 2023.

Disstevefan1

Disney does not listen to anybody!

They do what they think at that moment is best for the share price.

UNCgolf

I think conceptually they’d like to do that but probably would want to avoid the PR hit (and lawsuits?) that would come from having reservations for some but not all guests.

I don't think they want to drop reservations for most visitors; it's too useful.

I do think they may eventually drop the requirement for resort guests as a perk for staying on-site, though.

skiir97

For those planning to visit Marathon Weekend, Epcot opens at 10 am that Saturday and 11 am that Sunday. Never seen that before. Don’t feel like crowd control while there are still runners?

While I doubt the courses will change, maybe you're right and they decided the logistics are not worth it and/or maybe they making some changes to final section of the course that would just make the logistics impossible to deal with?

Disstevefan1

Rubes: "We'll spend more if it wasn't so crowded!"

Disney: "Go on, I'm listening..."
Disney corporate: “Hey, Disney Data team, if we further restrict guests from getting into the park thereby creating even more demand, will that result in less folks spending more money in the parks?”

Disney Data: “We have no idea, but it sounds like fun! Sort of like when you messed with an ant hill when you was a kid, you know, you mess with it and the ants go crazy, sounds like fun, let’s to it!”

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney corporate: “Hey, Disney Data team, if we further restrict guests from getting into the park thereby creating even more demand, will that result in less folks spending more money in the parks?”

Disney Data: “We have no idea, but it sounds like fun! Sort of like when you messed with an ant hill when you was a kid, you know, you mess with it and the ants go crazy, sounds like fun, let’s to it!”

This made me think of the south park episode where Cartman buys an amusement park and won’t let anyone in because he hates lines, which made everyone want to come even more.

Now I’m wondering if Chapek watched the same episode and is taking his business cues from a TV show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom