Disney Paris vs WDW/DL

HongKongFu

The park is built from actual materials- wood and crystal, glass and stone. It doesn’t have that fake one-material tone that newer parks seem to be built solely out of.

Excellent point to the discussion.
And it has a brick Main St. instead of common low budget asphalt like in US castle parks.

AndyS2992

How is that a "pro"? I don't see the inherent advantage. Full American atmosphere????

That has nothing to do with Disney so it should be removed from the list.
Paris has Louve and ornate architecture.... are we really going to start bringing forth that too into a Disney discussion.
Not sure how to explain it but Disney is American and is a huge part of American culture and when you go to WDW it’s authentic Americana with it with being shoved in your face around corner. Main Street USA in Paris is Europeans trying to be American and it fails. Americans are way more friendlier than Europeans so creates a better atmosphere. If you got WDW or California there’s an atmosphere whereas Paris does not have this for some reason, just feels like any other theme park. It’s a very common complaint so someone might be able to explain it better.

Having other parks in the area is a plus as if you get bored you can go to other parks, just like in DLP you can go to Paris, or Parc Asterix instead. Very relevant.

It’s just a general idea, I don’t why people are being so nit picky. Make your owns lists lol

mharrington

Not sure how to explain it but Disney is American and is a huge part of American culture and when you go to WDW it’s authentic Americana with it with being shoved in your face around corner. Main Street USA in Paris is Europeans trying to be American and it fails. Americans are way more friendlier than Europeans so creates a better atmosphere. If you got WDW or California there’s an atmosphere whereas Paris does not have this for some reason, just feels like any other theme park. It’s a very common complaint so someone might be able to explain it better.

To be fair, you can't really blame the Imagineers for trying to accommodate European sensibilities here. Whether or not they succeeded is another matter, but they did try.

cjkeating

Having other parks in the area is a plus as if you get bored you can go to other parks, just like in DLP you can go to Paris, or Parc Asterix instead. Very relevant.

It’s just a general idea, I don’t why people are being so nit picky. Make your owns lists lol

There are aspects of Disneyland Park that are super American (like Main Street USA) but a conscious design strategy for the park was to make the lands less American for example Adventureland has Africa/Asia/South American influences, Fantasyland is European and Discoveryland is retro-futuristic.

I think comparing the European/American culture is a moot point as it all depends on what you like, I've just got back from WDW and it got to the point when if one more person said 'You're welcome' to me I was going to scream. 😂 Yes I am European. Also the lack of ECVs and strollers makes it so much easier to get around and Fantasyland doesn't become a stroller park. But that is just me. :)

mharrington

There are aspects of Disneyland Park that are super American (like Main Street USA) but a conscious design strategy for the park was to make the lands less American for example Adventureland has Africa/Asia/South American influences, Fantasyland is European and Discoveryland is retro-futuristic.

I think comparing the European/American culture is a moot point as it all depends on what you like, I've just got back from WDW and it got to the point when if one more person said 'You're welcome' to me I was going to scream. 😂 Yes I am European. Also the lack of ECVs and strollers makes it so much easier to get around and Fantasyland doesn't become a stroller park. But that is just me. :)

Not to mention, Frontierland was based around the American West as seen from the perspective not of Americans, but of Europeans, especially the French.

PiratesMansion

Keep in mind that the OP's situation is likely very different from your own.

You value WDW and DL because you can have an affordable holiday abroad where people are friendlier and it may be more cost effective based on exchange rates, etc. Going to the continent for you is likely neither exciting or novel. That's valid. But it has almost nothing in common with Disney.Mike's situation other than it involves Disney in some way.

Disney.Mike's profile says he is from Louisiana. Going to WDW is the easiest and most accessible way for him to get his Disney fix, and if he's like many people on this board, WDW may be presently lacking either in novelty or affordability. Paris may not fix the affordability piece, but it's at least something different that will definitively offer something he can't experience in the states.

And when there are so many people on this board and others who simply have no interest in venturing to other Disney parks, and so many Americans who are so convinced that the rest of the world, even Europe, is a scary place, or that the US is the best place in the entire world, the last message that needs to be spread is "stay home and just go to WDW."

I advocate for everyone who can to try and visit all of the parks around the world-not only does it give you access to fantastic attractions and parks, it makes you a more informed fan. I believe that if more people were more informed, all of the parks would be better places, period. And, again, Paris! A city which will always have far more than Orlando will ever be able to offer, unless you really want nothing but theme parks for two weeks.

Ultimately, even if he goes to Paris and hates it, or finds that you were correct, he will be richer for having made the journey. I can't say the same about a repeat visit to WDW.

AndyS2992

Keep in mind that the OP's situation is likely very different from your own.

You value WDW and DL because you can have an affordable holiday abroad where people are friendlier and it may be more cost effective based on exchange rates, etc. Going to the continent for you is likely neither exciting or novel. That's valid. But it has almost nothing in common with Disney.Mike's situation other than it involves Disney in some way.

Disney.Mike's profile says he is from Louisiana. Going to WDW is the easiest and most accessible way for him to get his Disney fix, and if he's like many people on this board, WDW may be presently lacking either in novelty or affordability. Paris may not fix the affordability piece, but it's at least something different that will definitively offer something he can't experience in the states.

And when there are so many people on this board and others who simply have no interest in venturing to other Disney parks, and so many Americans who are so convinced that the rest of the world, even Europe, is a scary place, or that the US is the best place in the entire world, the last message that needs to be spread is "stay home and just go to WDW."

I advocate for everyone who can to try and visit all of the parks around the world-not only does it give you access to fantastic attractions and parks, it makes you a more informed fan. I believe that if more people were more informed, all of the parks would be better places, period. And, again, Paris! A city which will always have far more than Orlando will ever be able to offer, unless you really want nothing but theme parks for two weeks.

Ultimately, even if he goes to Paris and hates it, or finds that you were correct, he will be richer for having made the journey. I can't say the same about a repeat visit to WDW.
And I 100% agree with you.

addacollier

Very good comments on this topic.

I would say if you’re looking for a 2 week summer vacation, then WDW is probably the better option. Our family recently spent a week in Paris and stayed in a hotel right on the RER A line which took us straight into DLP. However, 7 days is far too long to spend in DLP. So planning ahead, we pre booked the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre and the Catacombs. The boat trip up the Seine, Notre Dame & Sacre Cour you can just turn up for. So it depends on what you want to do. If you want theme parks, sun bathing and shopping then WDW is for you. If you want a different culture and a bit of history then go to Paris for a week. If you want a fortnight, take the 2nd week in London as the train goes hourly.

DreamalittleDisney

There was a thread discussing DLP recently, https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/is-disneyland-paris-better-than-the-parks-at-wdw.959411/

But for someone living in the UK, I find that a Florida holiday just offers better overall value as I have access to more than 12 different theme and water parks between all the different operators. DLP is a beautiful park but I don't find a trip there to feel as good value as going to the USA.

Agree to the above the cost of DLP for a 3 night break doesn't stack for us vs the value in Florida (yea it is all still very expensive)we also like the warmth 🌞 it's about 20 years since my last DLP trip and tbh I didnt enjoy it that much think it's the the fact the French aren't the same as the USA in their natural local mannerisms and so I just didnt feel engaged liked I do with the WDW cast members ... the magic of the whole place just didnt seem to be there for me

Also had an awful cast member interaction with Mickey Mouses assistant in DLP I know it was proabably a one off but those things stick!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom