Disney Outfitters store expanding with new construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

I don't follow this stuff too closely, but I feel like some other store on Discovery Island was rumored to close to make room for a Starbucks at DAK, so I would guess this expansion is to compensate for that.

ABQ

I do hope they don't water down the products available at this store. The AK retail locations are the only stores in the 4 theme parks that has a number of unique things to offer. Not just the same spinning light up Buzz Lightyear's and the like. Though they'll probably just create 50 feet of shelf space to sell magic bands. :grumpy:

FerretAfros

Might this be, in part, to make up for the Beastly Bazaar retail space that became the Mickey and Minnie meet & greet? I would assume they would want to recoup that revenue-producing square footage somewhere, and this area gets similar foot traffic

doctornick

So, Beastly Bazaar went away for the Mickey M&G. And if Creature Comforts gets converted to Starbucks, then that's two significant stores on Discovery Island going away. One could see why they'd want to increase the retail space of Disney Outfitters.

I wonder why they don't build a new store in the Oasis. I know they have a gift shop outside the gates, but people walk past it, not particularly close. I don't know how the spacing works, but I would think there would be a benefit to having a store inside the gate, near Guest Relations or the stroller rental.

COProgressFan

Anyone dismayed by the planned removal of the tip board? As has been discussed ad nauseum in these threads, there actually are a substantial number of people without smartphones, or who simply would never use the MDE app to look at waits (I can't imagine my parents doing that very easily, for example).

And it was always a nice touch to have it right there as you entered, to take a quick glance before getting too far into the park. I think it's a poor decision to remove it completely, even if the information is available from other sources. Poor decision in terms of customer service.

CDavid

For what it's worth, this supposedly is the construction that makes the parade route impassible.

Oh, that's so nice. We permanently lose a parade just for construction work on a single store. Work that shouldn't take all that long, assuming it is again passable (?) after the expansion is completed.

Anyone dismayed by the planned removal of the tip board? As has been discussed ad nauseum in these threads, there actually are a substantial number of people without smartphones, or who simply would never use the MDE app to look at waits (I can't imagine my parents doing that very easily, for example).

And it was always a nice touch to have it right there as you entered, to take a quick glance before getting too far into the park. I think it's a poor decision to remove it completely, even if the information is available from other sources. Poor decision in terms of customer service.

There are many examples where Disney doesn't appear to understand who its audience or customer base is anymore, and what they want and need from their vacation. Between this and the whole MM+ program, you have to wonder to what extent Disney really is laboring under the false assumption that everyone has smartphones now.

ABQ

There are many examples where Disney doesn't appear to understand who its audience or customer base is anymore, and what they want and need from their vacation. Between this and the whole MM+ program, you have to wonder to what extent Disney really is laboring under the false assumption that everyone has smartphones now.
I understand what you're saying, however even prior to using MDE on my phone, I rarely, if ever looked at that tip board for wait times.

CDavid

My impression is that the new addition will make the parade impassable in the future, not just with it being an issue during construction.

Thanks for answering, though I do have to wonder about the wisdom of blocking any possibility for a future parade.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for answering, though I do have to wonder about the wisdom of blocking any possibility for a future parade.
It was an operational nightmare to run the parade. They are going to be better off with other forms of entertainment that don't block of huge sections of the park, particularly as the number of guests increases.

doctornick

It was an operational nightmare to run the parade. They are going to be better off with other forms of entertainment that don't block of huge sections of the park, particularly as the number of guests increases.

It's true, given how the walkways were set up in the park -- though that begs the question of "why didn't they design the park with the ability to handle a parade properly?". It's not like parades in a Disney park are some new fangled idea.

I'm curious if there are any plans for some sort of daytime extravaganza that can fill the void of the parade. I'm not even sure what would be possible because even some sort of concert or performance in one location will still be a logistical problem. My thought would be if they could have some sort of "boat parade" on the water since they are already creating seating for ROL. Might as well utilize them during the day as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's true, given how the walkways were set up in the park -- though that begs the question of "why didn't they design the park with the ability to handle a parade properly?". It's not like parades in a Disney park are some new fangled idea.

I'm curious if there are any plans for some sort of daytime extravaganza that can fill the void of the parade. I'm not even sure what would be possible because even some sort of concert or performance in one location will still be a logistical problem. My thought would be if they could have some sort of "boat parade" on the water since they are already creating seating for ROL. Might as well utilize them during the day as well.
Legend says that Joe Rohde did not want DAK to be like the other parks. Parades did not fit his vision, and therefore it was not a design consideration to incorporate them, infact, the design made it harder to incorporate a parade.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Oh, that's so nice. We permanently lose a parade just for construction work on a single store. Work that shouldn't take all that long, assuming it is again passable (?) after the expansion is completed.

You do realize that as of December 2012 (From Pew Research)

Smartphone usage:
88% of 18-29yo (I would figure the "young parent" group would fit here)
61% of people who make between $50,000 and $75,000
81% of people who make $75,000 or more
58% of all adults had a smartphone

I am sure Disney is fully aware that 42% of people do not have a smart phone but how many of the 42% use the TIP board or would miss it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom