• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

tallica

Advertisement
I am very frugal and when I used to visit Disney about 90% of my families food was from the grocery store. The money we saved allowed
us to stay longer and also to treat ourselves to a table service meal or two. I am very critical of Disney when relates to price gouging, up charges, and policy changes. I am a local now, so I don't even stay at the resorts. With said I think the resort parking fee is like a slap in the face, in price and execution. They should have hid the fee in the room rate. Now back to the delivery fee. I think it is cheap by Disney standards and actually no problem with it since they still allow food delivery. That six dollar investment will pay for itself 10 fold easy and in excess of 100 fold if a majority of your meals are from groceries.

mm121

They weren’t hired to deliver your groceries and pizzas, nor were the front desk staff hired to accept your packages and deliveries.
Definitely agree with this.

I use to work at a 700 room hotel in a downtown convention area.
I worked front desk and we'd always have people calling wanting to get their faxes delivered etc. We would do the best we could but it definitely did get to be a headache during busy times having to direct someone that was meant to be on the schedule doing checkins to have to help with deliveries etc since BS would be busy dealing with luggage where they had the opportunity for tips so general room deliveries were a low priority task for them as people normally didn't tip for little things.

With said I think the resort parking fee is like a slap in the face, in price and execution. They should have hid the fee in the room rate. Now back to the delivery fee. I think it is cheap by Disney standards and actually no problem with it since they still allow food delivery. That six dollar investment will pay for itself 10 fold easy and in excess of 100 fold if a majority of your meals are from groceries.
I

With respect to resort fees, not paying them is easy: don't stay anywhere they charge them. And complain to management about them if you stay where they are charged. Not the front desk staff.

As far as a delivery fee, as I have said, Disney is hardly alone in doing this. They aren't even the first.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if this is more of a problem at the combo DVC resorts like CCV? I could imagine the luxury waterfront cabin people ordering grocery delivery every day. But more generally DVC rooms with kitchens and kitchenettes might be responsible for a lot more grocery delivery than regular rooms, but the cost of this might be borne by bell services generally. So maybe it wouldn't be fair for the cost of this to just show up higher base room charges?

OTOH, this also might be considered a fringe conspiracy theory. I'd be ok with people commented to that effect - this is an open forum and I actually want to hear people's opinions whether they agree with me or not.
I love a good fringe conspiracy theory, but in this case I think you are on to something. It makes a lot of sense that people who have a full kitchen would order more groceries than people in a room with a mini-fridge and microwave. For DVC stand alone resorts it’s irrelevant since the cost gets passed back to the owners but for the combo resorts they need to split between changing DVC owners and the hotel’s budget.

I think a big driver of this policy is services like Amazon Prime. Years ago before Amazon delivered groceries people would order from a local place like garden grocer and get a delivery. If you ordered less than $200 worth of stuff you paid a $15 delivery fee. Over $200 waived the fee. They also charged an additional $20 to $30 for next day delivery. You had to plan ahead and get your order in and it was completely impractical to have a delivery every day. You got one big order and that was usually it for the trip. It was also not as well known or popular of a service (there were also less DVC rooms with full kitchens). Flash forward to today and you have services like Amazon Prime where if you are a member already you can get free daily deliveries and on a lot of items same day delivery. A person who used to have 1 grocery delivery for their week long trip now has 7.

So when you combine more rooms with full kitchens with a wider known and used service and daily deliveries vs one time delivery it adds up to a much larger volume of deliveries. If Disney was instituting a fee like this to get people to eat more at their restaurants they would charge more than $6. This fee seems to me to be more about getting people to stop having multiple deliveries per stay. One $6 fee is negligible. $42 for the week for daily deliveries is a lot less appealing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if there’s any thought of expanding Disney grocery delivery beyond Fort Wilderness...
The DVC resorts have grocery delivery direct from Disney. You just fill out a form and send it to the resort and they have the groceries brought up to your room on check-in day. It’s convenient and cuts out the middle man but the selection isn’t as good and the prices are generally higher than 3rd party sites. They also don’t sell any alcohol which is a big negative for me. I love to have a cold beer to end my day at WDW. Here’s a link to the BLT order form:

carolina_yankee

The DVC resorts have grocery delivery direct from Disney. You just fill out a form and send it to the resort and they have the groceries brought up to your room on check-in day. It’s convenient and cuts out the middle man but the selection isn’t as good and the prices are generally higher than 3rd party sites. They also don’t sell any alcohol which is a big negative for me. I love to have a cold beer to end my day at WDW. Here’s a link to the BLT order form:
It’s not a bad service, but it’s not really useful for anybody who wants more than white bread, pop-tarts, and cereal. Or fruit that costs more per piece than an entire bunch costs at Publix!

While I doubt it would make economic sense for Disney to set up a central warehouse and offer their own true grocery delivery service, there ought to be a way for them to make their cut with charging the delivery fee.

Maybe since Disney has preferred vendors for stroller and ECV companies to leave items with bell services, they could form a partnership with a local delivery entity for the same purpose. There is obviously a market and a need, and I do understand the logistical issues created by managing and storing several grocery deliveries each day, so there has to be a happy medium that doesn’t look like nickel and dining.

Dirk

Lensman

Premium Member
It’s not a bad service, but it’s not really useful for anybody who wants more than white bread, pop-tarts, and cereal. Or fruit that costs more per piece than an entire bunch costs at Publix!

While I doubt it would make economic sense for Disney to set up a central warehouse and offer their own true grocery delivery service, there ought to be a way for them to make their cut with charging the delivery fee.

Maybe since Disney has preferred vendors for stroller and ECV companies to leave items with bell services, they could form a partnership with a local delivery entity for the same purpose. There is obviously a market and a need, and I do understand the logistical issues created by managing and storing several grocery deliveries each day, so there has to be a happy medium that doesn’t look like nickel and dining.

Dirk
Yeah, IIRC, that list of groceries has remained similarly skimpy for decades.

It would be great to have a service where your groceries are ready in your room on check-in or appear there while you're out in the parks. That's something that people might think is worth paying for and would be a relatively unique offering. I'd love to arrive to a stocked fridge and freezer!

Of course they couldn't do it for $6 but I bet it would get more uptake than the current skimpy grocery list does. Like I said, the current offering only makes sense for the world of 25 years ago.

Also, if coordinated properly, the cost to provide the service could be controlled if they could eliminate the step where Bell Services has to provide temporary storage.

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
As mentioned, their prices are not cheap at all. We've done this in the past, as well as Garden Grocer, and the amount you save doing the grocery shopping yourself pays for the car rental. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Dirk
I don’t think Disney has any desire to setup a true grocery delivery service. The DVC one carries pretty much the same stuff they have in the store at the resort so it’s not cannibalizing any other sales. Purely a convenience and there’s a $10 charge for doing it so they at worst break even.

I think you are probably on to something with Disney selecting a preferred vendor and making them the exclusive grocery delivery service. They could just ban all other companies from delivering to guests (including Amazon) or just jack up the fee to make it really unappealing. Then Disney gets a cut from the preferred provider who is happy to give up a piece of the profit to be exclusive.

DisneyDebRob

They weren’t hired to deliver your groceries and pizzas, nor were the front desk staff hired to accept your packages and deliveries.
This.
Hard to believe charging for bringing something not related to the resort you’re staying in has people so upset. They lose money every time they do this. I have no problem at all with this. I’m thinking 10 bucks is actually what they should charge. I pick up everything at the front desk so no big deal to me. I’m just glad they let us order from a third party and not have to meet them in a parking lot. Front desk works perfectly.

note2001

This is about supply and demand, which in this case happens to be the time of the bell hop. His/her job is to settle folk into their rooms with their luggage and then to do the same in reverse when checkout comes. They're a needed element of the resort in order to keep the rooms moving along at a decent pace for housekeeping to work and new folk to move in.

Take them off their primary duties and start asking them to deliver your packages and deliveries to you and they can't keep up with their proper job. Hence, another person needs to be added to staff.

DVC owners should be appreciative of this since they end up paying the salary of additional help to a DVC resort. If that person is being paid by funds collected from those who used the service, then it will keep dues down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As mentioned, their prices are not cheap at all. We've done this in the past, as well as Garden Grocer, and the amount you save doing the grocery shopping yourself pays for the car rental. :)
It’s definitely cheaper to go yourself and just rent a car but it does take some time away from “the magic”. I’ve found garden grocer to be a happy middle ground. More expensive than going to the store yourself but not as high as the direct from Disney prices and no need to leave to resort.

peter11435

You are bending over backwards to defend a move that reeks of petty cheapness. It hurts guests and CMs. Who exactly does this benefit I wonder?
I’m not having to bend over backwards to defend this as the defense is pretty obvious. I don’t defend every move Disney makes. But this isn’t really that out of line.

It reeks of petty cheapness to expect a service and feel entitled to it being provided to you for free.

This obviously doesn’t benefit anyone other than Disney.

Top Bottom