• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

Disone

Sometimes reservations are full, but that doesn't mean the restaurant is actually full. As sometimes they only fill a certain number of tables instead of a full restaurant in an effort to limit needed employee hours.
Not true. Not the first time I've read this theory on this forum but I assure you it's not true. Staffing is based on bookings. Bookings are not based on Staffing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Advertisement
Not true. Not the first time I've read this theory on this forum but I assure you it's not true. Staffing is based on bookings. Bookings are not based on Staffing.
In general you're absolutely right, but what they're saying is true for same-day availability. Staffing is based on bookings, limiting same-day availability in restaurants that might otherwise have open tables.

Disone

In general you're absolutely right, but what they're saying is true for same-day availability. Staffing is based on bookings, limiting same-day availability in restaurants that might otherwise have open tables.
Even in the case of same-day availability, they've been in the business long enough do you know what the walk-in Trend will be. At that point if the walk-in Trend does not materialize as anticipated they will early release their Staffing. Then yes at that point if they have released the Staffing then truly they're not going to seat the table because the staffing has been cut.

Also I saw you mentioned about Disney's Magical Express being third party. That is Absolutely true for getting it to the resort. But once luggage arrives at the resort that is 100% still Disney. Not third-party. No third-party is delivering luggage to a room. Only to the resort.

janoimagine

That's a wonderful sentiment but you can't base decisions on how people SHOULD behave, you have to make decisions on how people ACTUALLY behave.
Honestly most people I know do behave this way, but I see the cheapest and most uncouth human behavior on Disney property more than anywhere else in the world, and that is a head scratcher because a Disney vacation is anything but cheap.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
It's not even the money that bothers me, it's that it FEELS tacky. Instead of charging for parking and this stupidity, just raise prices an additional $X, whatever their models say would result in the same increased margin.
Agreed. Here's a simple way to look at it. If Disney is charging people for driving their own cars, or renting a car and parking at the hotels..they in turn are punishing those people. They are at the same time rewarding the others guests who didn't drive a car by not charging them the $13 to $24 per night.

So people who choose to drive cars...or have to because they have a person with a disability...or are a local resident and it makes more sense to drive a car to the park....are discriminated against by Disney simply because of their choice.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
Minor point... Bell services aren't the ones who deliver luggage (for the most part). The Magical Express luggage delivery is done by a third party. Disney's bellmen are significantly UNDER utilized relative to normal hotels for that very reason.

That's a wonderful sentiment but you can't base decisions on how people SHOULD behave, you have to make decisions on how people ACTUALLY behave.
Well said on ALL points.

VJ

disney should charge people for being charged for booking a room at their hotels

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I use the delivery service on almost every trip. I have no problem paying a $6 fee. I also have no plans to reduce or eliminate tipping as a result. We usually have a grocery delivery scheduled the evening of the day we arrive. Assuming we take a morning flight and check our bags through magic express and our carry-ons at bell services before heading to a park. After dinner we head back to the room and I call down to have all the bags and the groceries brought up to the room. Usually the magic express bags are already in the room but sometimes not. Either way it’s a full luggage cart with our carry-ons plus groceries. The guy bringing all that up is earning his tip. There’s no reason anyone should skimp on a tip because of the fee. If you really can’t stomach paying an extra $6 just pick the stuff up yourself in the lobby. After a flight and a day walking the parks plus a big meal I’m more than happy to pay $6 for the privilege of sitting on my couch and waiting for the stuff to arrive :)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know the bellhops did not have a say, but Disney needs to think about this decision because that is what many people are going to say, "I'm being charged for this so why bother tipping." They won't care that bellhops are not seeing that $6.00. They are thinking too themselves...that's what we're paying for.
I don’t think that’s what many people will say. Just a few cheapos who probably don’t tip well anyway. Just to be clear, it’s not acceptable to take a corporate decision you disagree with out on an employee who makes just over minimum wage and had no say in the decision. If you really disagree just stop using the service or even easier stop visiting WDW (and make sure you let them know why). Losing a paying guest over a policy would be a bigger blow to the actual decision makers than stiffing a poor bellhop.

DisneyNorthFan

I dislike nickel & diming, particularly when you're booking a premier stay. However, if given the alternate of additional across the board price increases OR charging for additional services that only some guests use (sometimes they are ones I use), I guess it's not all bad to charge for usage. There are tons of perks a hotel can provide ... but those perks aren't utilized equally by all, and I suppose in that regard it's more fair to charge for usage on some perks. You could get to ridiculous & absurd levels with this line of thought, and I acknowledge that some may feel the delivery charge reaches this level (& others that have been instituted), but this is another way to think about the new policy. For me, the on-site parking charge policy seems egregious (even though it doesn't impact me), but the grocery delivery fee (which could impact me) seems more reasonable. FWIW, I will probably just pick them up from bell services anyway.

Patcheslee

I dislike nickel & diming, particularly when you're booking a premier stay. However, if given the alternate of additional across the board price increases OR charging for additional services that only some guests use (sometimes they are ones I use), I guess it's not all bad to charge for usage. There are tons of perks a hotel can provide ... but those perks aren't utilized equally by all, and I suppose in that regard it's more fair to charge for usage on some perks. You could get to ridiculous & absurd levels with this line of thought, and I acknowledge that some may feel the delivery charge reaches this level (& others that have been instituted), but this is another way to think about the new policy. For me, the on-site parking charge policy seems egregious (even though it doesn't impact me), but the grocery delivery fee (which could impact me) seems more reasonable. FWIW, I will probably just pick them up from bell services anyway.
Then why not charge for luggage delivery also or allow a 1 time free delivery? We don't use luggage delivery because we drive a rental and take luggage to our room ourselves, but do plan to ship a 7lb box to the resort.

At my hotel luggage is delivered to the front desk, who verifies if the guest is in-house or not and, if they are, sees it there are any instructions. It's either then held by the bellman or delivered to the room. So, two, maybe 3 steps.

Packages are delivered to the purchasing Department, who then checks to see if it's for an incoming guest or it they are inhouse. If they are in-house it goes to the bellman, who call to determine if the guest would like it delivered to their room. If they are here for a conference, the guest may choose to have it stored at the front desk or taken to a conference room instead.

If the guest is incoming, they check the reservation for instruction.

Package delivery is simply more labor intensive. Add to that their hotels might have 3 different Bob Smiths or Rosa Hernandezes in at roughly the same time and it gets even more complicated.

nickys

Premium Member
Another aspect of room delivery that I think is a very WDW problem is that some of the Disney resorts are sprawling and also some like CBR, OKW, and some POR buildings don't have elevators. Not an excuse, I just want to note that room delivery of groceries can be more labor intensive in such situations. Also with luggage, they could make multiple stops on one run but I'm not sure they do this with groceries due to the perishable nature of groceries. Or do they do the room deliveries with some special refrigerated truck?

I am surprised and pleased that they don't charge for refrigerated storage, though. Say, have people had good experiences with delivery of ice cream?
The point about refrigeration is a good one. Although since you can apparently have your order delivered and then you go and collect it yourself for free means this isn’t a charge for the refrigeration per se.

We have had ice cream and one or two other frozen items transferred to another resort OK. We try not to have too much for obvious reasons, and we would normally aim to eat it within 24 hours.

I have to admit, I’m on the fence about this. A lot of regular visitors do order groceries, and I imagine it takes a lot more time these days on top of the usual luggage delivery. It’s possibly meant they have to have extra BS staff on duty throughout the day compared with previously, to avoid long waits for food delivery. I suspect they’re trying to recoup some of those staffing costs with the charge.

Now if they start charging just to receive the groceries, then I’d be really annoyed.

mm121

Then why not charge for luggage delivery also or allow a 1 time free delivery? We don't use luggage delivery because we drive a rental and take luggage to our room ourselves, but do plan to ship a 7lb box to the resort.
A one time delivery would be nice.
That would at least cut down on if anyone is abusing the system.

I could totally see people getting something delivered every day as some people don't plan very well and many delivery services have a low minimum order amount so there's no motivation to order everything you want for a week in one go.

Or people using both grocery and food deliveries that could really rack up the visits to each room as normally BS would only interact with a room upon checkin and checkout not daily.

Lensman

Premium Member
I wonder if this is more of a problem at the combo DVC resorts like CCV? I could imagine the luxury waterfront cabin people ordering grocery delivery every day. But more generally DVC rooms with kitchens and kitchenettes might be responsible for a lot more grocery delivery than regular rooms, but the cost of this might be borne by bell services generally. So maybe it wouldn't be fair for the cost of this to just show up higher base room charges?

OTOH, this also might be considered a fringe conspiracy theory. I'd be ok with people commented to that effect - this is an open forum and I actually want to hear people's opinions whether they agree with me or not.

nickys

Premium Member
OTOH, this also might be considered a fringe conspiracy theory. I'd be ok with people commented to that effect - this is an open forum and I actually want to hear people's opinions whether they agree with me or not.
How refreshing! You must be new here. ;)

Top Bottom